U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:48 AM

178 posts, read 115,498 times
Wow, talk about memories. I know for a fact the bar cars were still around in the late 80's. The Penn Station to Port Jeff line had one. Met lots of great people and made lots of good memories commuting into Manhattan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 02:49 PM

27 posts, read 46,610 times
Here are a few picks, although some are from metro north bar cars which may have closed already as written in a NYT article last year.

LIRR Bar Car-bar-car.bmp

LIRR Bar Car-bar-car-3.bmp

Old 09-20-2011, 03:31 PM

14 posts, read 18,337 times
....To all us " old timers " this should bring back some bumpy rides..........one was still in service late 80s and the other was headed for the boneyard.............always had a 6 pack at my side....
Attached Thumbnails
LIRR Bar Car-lirr2103mineola060177tad.jpg   LIRR Bar Car-162bethpageby4slcohol-20cars.jpg  

Old 06-17-2013, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,108 times
I was simply trying to ascertain whether LIRR still had bar cars.........apparently, from the postings, just two trains still have them. So sorry there are not more. randy r.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:48 AM

65 posts, read 53,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The LIRR is a commuter railroad and should not be in the business of selling alcohol.

In fact, alcoholic beverages should be forbidden on the LIRR. Not that I'm a tea totaller but Im sick of the smell of spilled beer and the sound of cans rolling around the floor.
Not to mention the unruly behavior of the imbibers. I dont wanna have to pay to put up with that.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
  • some people hate the smell of coffee... should we ban that?
  • some people hate the smell of eggs... ban breakfast foods?
  • some people find the constant turning of newspaper pages annoying... ban papers? hell, magazines too while we're at it!
  • some people don't like cologne/perfume... need to pass a sniff test before boarding?
it's a commuter railroad, not gpsma's railroad... deal with it...
When theres a law on the books saying you can be charged with wired and disorderly conduct for having too much coffee on the train youll have a point. Nothing can make a person act like a complete jerk quite like over indulging in alcohol and that includes people using illegal drugs. Commuter railroads are not your backyard. If you wanna be loud and drunk do it on your own property and hope nobody sees you from the street because even that is regulated. The sober majority should not have to deal with obnoxious boozers and there is a direct correlation.

Old 06-24-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Can't wait an hour to get to your station and stop in the local tavern?

As I said, its a railroad, not a bar. There is no drinking on the subway and people in NYC sometimes have as long a commute as on the LIRR. They deal without a drink.
I agree with you. Alcoholism is a real disease and obviously its more prevalent than most would like to admit if they cant make it an hour without a drink. Theyre definitely assuming people are as cool with them being drunk on public transportation as they are.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
I agree with your position there, so at least I'm consistent Anyway I don't mean to imply that you're politically motivated, just motivated by your own convenience.
A public transportation vehicle should err on the side of convenience. People have just as much right to not attend a party as they do to attend one. I dont know anyone whos offended by a relatively quiet ride home but I can understand why someone without an mp3 player might be annoyed by a full hour of loud and escalating booze-fueled silliness.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:50 AM

1,786 posts, read 1,997,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trolling For Dollars View Post
A public transportation vehicle should err on the side of convenience. People have just as much right to not attend a party as they do to attend one. I dont know anyone whos offended by a relatively quiet ride home but I can understand why someone without an mp3 player might be annoyed by a full hour of loud and escalating booze-fueled silliness.
Why do you think every or even most people that have a drink on the train are doing anything but sit there quietly? Certainly people using cell phones on the train are much more common and annoying.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Why do you think every or even most people that have a drink on the train are doing anything but sit there quietly? Certainly people using cell phones on the train are much more common and annoying.
Probably a lot of them are. The problem is they dont get noticed and I agree it stinks for them. I hear people advocating ending right turns on red all the time because nobody stops and looks first. I stop and look all the time so I get angry at the idea that I should lose the privilege. Perhaps better enforcement of rules on both counts is a good answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island