Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 06:57 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I heard about those. Smoking was allowed too, wasn't it?
yes... when smoking was allowed on the lirr, the bar cars were designated smoking cars... once the smoking ban was enacted, obviously no more smoking ... (although people would still stand out on the platforms at the car ends and smoke)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 08:07 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I agree, there are some days where a beer on the way home is such a treat, especially in the summer.
Can't wait an hour to get to your station and stop in the local tavern?

As I said, its a railroad, not a bar. There is no drinking on the subway and people in NYC sometimes have as long a commute as on the LIRR. They deal without a drink.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
  • some people hate the smell of coffee... should we ban that?
  • some people hate the smell of eggs... ban breakfast foods?
  • some people find the constant turning of newspaper pages annoying... ban papers? hell, magazines too while we're at it!
  • some people don't like cologne/perfume... need to pass a sniff test before boarding?
it's a commuter railroad, not gpsma's railroad... deal with it...
You certainly know all the inconviencies that ruin the railroad. There should be no eating or alcohoic beverages consumed on a COMMUTER railroad. Nothing like some fool spilling his coffee all over the floor because he couldn't balance his newspaper, briefcase and breakfast in his hands.
This is not Amtrak going across the Great Divide. Most people can eat before boarding the train.

And lets not get into the perfume issue.

Never fails to amaze me how self-absorbed Long Islanders can be. ( I suspect most being the "born on lawng island" group).

Old 02-03-2010, 08:34 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Can't wait an hour to get to your station and stop in the local tavern?

As I said, its a railroad, not a bar. There is no drinking on the subway and people in NYC sometimes have as long a commute as on the LIRR. They deal without a drink.
Wow. I see no problem with having a beverage - whether it be Poland Spring or a beer and obviously niether does the LIRR since it is perfectly legal to do so. Being a slob is a whole other matter, that is what I think you have the issue with.

People leaving behind their empty containers applies to coffee cups, newspapers and general garbage not involving food/drink too. I doubt your 'perfect world' of no drinking anything on the train will ever happen. I do find some of the food eating (when it has the potential to get messy or it smells) kind of gross.

Cheers!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:54 AM

I'm not looking for a perfect world but I'd like to see the LIRR be at least as clean as the NYC subways. The problem with the LIRR is that they permit food and beverages on a commuter train that is not dissimilar to a subway system.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
I've been to the Ronkonkoma station in the evening to pick people up and I can tell you when those people get off the trains, they drive like nuts to get out of there. I've been almost hit a dozen times. Now imagine if they allowed the bar car and these people get drunk. Imagine how they would drive then.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 AM

I remember a guy guzzling down a quart bottle of beer and then bringing out a six pack of tall boys...drank it all within an hour.

Wonder if he got into a car at his station.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:21 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I think the LIRR & NJT were in talks with Dunkin Donuts , to allow them to convert a few Muti-Levels into Cafe cars, but i don't what happen to that.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:28 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
A few times I've seen a small bar set up at the front of the train car, but it wasn't like an actual bar for people to sit at. It just had regular seats where some people were drinking, some weren't. Is that what you mean?

Old 02-03-2010, 09:59 AM

184 posts, read 805,680 times
I like a cold beer or two on the ride home every once in a while but I have seen some guys kill a 6 pack like its water..and then drive right after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island