U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:59 PM

1,934 posts, read 3,523,718 times

Advertisements

I think there are only two of these left, the 6:33 Babylon and one on the PM Hicksville line. I can confirm the 6:33 but not the other one. I have taken the LIRR on and off since the early mid 90's and always thought these were some myth that never really existed. The first time I caught the 6:33 about 5 years ago I was a little stunned: full bar on the train, cheap beers/drinks etc.

I usually don't catch a train that late but after I did a few times I noticed that there were a ton of regulars, it was a very friendly atmosphere, like a boisterous bar where everyone knew you.

The bartender pulls the bar off at Massapequa (I think it used to be Seaford) and that is it. You can even buy pretzels and bottled water. The bartender is great, keeps everything going well.

I know there used to be a few more of these back in the day. Just curious what people think about this and if anyone is a 'regular' on the Babylon ride or the other or has any more input on it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:10 PM
GPC

1,197 posts, read 2,712,673 times
I've heard about bar cars but have never been on one. It certainly sounds like a fun ride!

Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM

939 posts, read 1,960,244 times
i used to ride in the bar car (not a bar cart) on the old diesel equipment out of hunters point... no seats in the car and a full length bar

Old 02-03-2010, 04:40 AM

8,141 posts, read 12,502,917 times
They should have them on every train. It would really boost the morale and then I wouldn't be so pissed off @ the LIRR everyday.

Old 02-03-2010, 04:44 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,783,990 times
Ah, bar cars, a vaunted yet vanishing institution. Metra (Chicago area) just got rid of its last bar cars, I'm guessing because they didn't want to assume the liability any more. Fortunately, Metra trains still welcome BYOB except on 4th of July, New Year's Eve, and (I'm not making this up) the day of the St. Patrick's Day parade.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 AM

3,686 posts, read 7,321,888 times
The LIRR is a commuter railroad and should not be in the business of selling alcohol.

In fact, alcoholic beverages should be forbidden on the LIRR. Not that I'm a tea totaller but Im sick of the smell of spilled beer and the sound of cans rolling around the floor.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:56 AM

532 posts, read 1,064,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
The LIRR is a commuter railroad and should not be in the business of selling alcohol.

In fact, alcoholic beverages should be forbidden on the LIRR. Not that I'm a tea totaller but Im sick of the smell of spilled beer and the sound of cans rolling around the floor.
Boooo. I love popping a cold beer on the way home, ocassionaly a scotch on a particularly tough day . One of lifes simple pleasures that helps take the edge off working in the city.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 AM

939 posts, read 1,960,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post

• some people hate the smell of coffee... should we ban that?
  • some people hate the smell of eggs... ban breakfast foods?
  • some people find the constant turning of newspaper pages annoying... ban papers? hell, magazines too while we're at it!
  • some people don't like cologne/perfume... need to pass a sniff test before boarding?
it's a commuter railroad, not gpsma's railroad... deal with it...

Old 02-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burb View Post
Boooo. I love popping a cold beer on the way home, ocassionaly a scotch on a particularly tough day . One of lifes simple pleasures that helps take the edge off working in the city.
I agree, there are some days where a beer on the way home is such a treat, especially in the summer.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENFD240 View Post
i used to ride in the bar car (not a bar cart) on the old diesel equipment out of hunters point... no seats in the car and a full length bar
I heard about those. Smoking was allowed too, wasn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island