U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:33 PM

5,854 posts, read 6,618,644 times
Long Beach, RVC...maybe Babylon Village. Don't count on urban on LI...not really going to happen. Want urban, try Forest Hills, Queens.

LB is a b*tch of a commute to StonyBrook though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:05 PM

9,343 posts, read 15,614,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
the wife and I just moved from NYC (FiDi) to Huntington Harbor.

superfly10, isn't Huntington Harbor, just like Huntington Village, a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Huntington?

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,168,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Long Beach, RVC...maybe Babylon Village. Don't count on urban on LI...not really going to happen. Want urban, try Forest Hills, Queens.

LB is a b*tch of a commute to StonyBrook though.
As compared to Forest Hills which would be a cake walk.

; )

Old 02-08-2010, 03:12 PM

340 posts, read 819,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
superfly10, isn't Huntington Harbor, just like Huntington Village, a neighborhood in the Hamlet of Huntington?

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) your house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)
I guess I was pointing out that, if you live walking distance to Huntington Village (meaning the shops, restaurants etc. that the OP seems to want) you should live in the village. If you live north of the Village, near the harbor/ Wincoma, or on the West side like Harbor Heights etc, you will have to drive to the village. Short drive, yes.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly10 View Post
I guess I was pointing out that, if you live walking distance to Huntington Village (meaning the shops, restaurants etc. that the OP seems to want) you should live in the village. If you live north of the Village, near the harbor/ Wincoma, or on the West side like Harbor Heights etc, you will have to drive to the village. Short drive, yes.
Go walk both Villages.

Only one of them is both charming and 5 minutes from SUSB.

Port Jeff no contest.

Crooks

Old 02-08-2010, 04:52 PM

13 posts, read 18,673 times
This is great information. I'm from San Francisco, and an Urban Dweller. I may be offered a position in Cold Harbor Springs. I too am seeking a place that's safe, has things that I could walk to, bank, and grocery store. I can't imagine living away from the ocean again. This part of LI looks spectacular. Sounds like Hungtington is the way to go from the posts here. I just can't seem to find a place with a garage. Is there anything else anyone could advise? I'm open to suggestion. I'm in my late 30's and looking for something convenient, but pretty quiet. I've never had a car and lived in the snow, so I'm wondering how that works. Does the City provide snow plowing in the Winter? Also, as a renter, what are the biggest expenses in LI? Heat? Water? Garbage? I can't decide if it's worth the hassle of commuting from NYC to LI everyday or just to live in LI. Thanks everyone, having input and experience is so valuable.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggybeach View Post
This is great information. I'm from San Francisco, and an Urban Dweller. I may be offered a position in Cold Harbor Springs. I too am seeking a place that's safe, has things that I could walk to, bank, and grocery store. I can't imagine living away from the ocean again. This part of LI looks spectacular. Sounds like Hungtington is the way to go from the posts here. I just can't seem to find a place with a garage. Is there anything else anyone could advise? I'm open to suggestion. I'm in my late 30's and looking for something convenient, but pretty quiet. I've never had a car and lived in the snow, so I'm wondering how that works. Does the City provide snow plowing in the Winter? Also, as a renter, what are the biggest expenses in LI? Heat? Water? Garbage? I can't decide if it's worth the hassle of commuting from NYC to LI everyday or just to live in LI. Thanks everyone, having input and experience is so valuable.
If youre working in CSH, Huntington is the way to go.

If your working in SUSB,Port Jefferson is your town.

Crooks

Old 02-08-2010, 05:28 PM

8,391 posts, read 8,952,222 times
Quote:
Yes, we get our roads plowed. We often are not happy with the job that is done, but it's not like what you're seeing in MD, VA, and D.C. where they just don't plow! You'll be able to get around after a storm, but if you're not used to snow, you probably won't like what you experience.

CSH has a train station. Huntington is the next town over. CSH is a really nice area. Probably not too many rentals there because there aren't any apartment/co-op buildings there and the proverbial basement apartment is frowned upon.

Garbage pickup and water are paid by homeowners, and if you rent in a private house will be part of the rent. Heat, electric, cable, or some combination thereof you will most likely be responsible for.

NYC is a totally different animal - post your questions in the NYC forum for advice about garaging your car if you live there (wouldn't recommend a car if you live in the city).

Old 02-08-2010, 05:42 PM

15,515 posts, read 15,203,281 times
Quote:
It's Cold Spring Harbor.

I think you are better off to live on LI than to attempt to do the reverse commute out of the City.

You would probably like Huntington just fine as it is convenient to CSH. You don't need a garage unless you are planning on getting a very expensive car and want one for that reason. If this is your first car, all I can say is you are going to be an expert driver by the time LI traffic gets through with you!

Old 02-08-2010, 08:18 PM

445 posts, read 701,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post

Im from neither but IMO Port Jeff blows Huntington away these days on just about every level.

Crooks
just about every level??

PJ has proximity to SBU. But it then it takes forever to get to NYC and the dreaded Rt 347 is mandatory to points west. A couple restaurants are good, and there are more dedicated watering holes . other than that. its okay. JMHO. It all depends on what you are looking for I guess.

FWIW I lived in SBU/ PJ area for years and was happy to move to Huntington.
I currently commute very close to SBU every day. Its not bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island