Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 05:32 PM

3 posts, read 13,094 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived in NYC for close to 10 years and sorry leave due to a a job offer in Stony Brook Hospital. Any recommendations as to where for a cosmopolitan single lady to reside so I can walk to a few restaurants, gyms, coffee shops and enjoy the environement living in a modern condo where other CLASSY single professional live. I am willing to live on Long Island in the radius of 30-40miles from work. I know its hard to find but what can be a closer residential community to my interests. I appreciate any comments. Thank you, E
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 06:31 PM

217 posts, read 254,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsko3 View Post
Hello,

I have lived in NYC for close to 10 years and sorry leave due to a a job offer in Stony Brook Hospital. Any recommendations as to where for a cosmopolitan single lady to reside so I can walk to a few restaurants, gyms, coffee shops and enjoy the environement living in a modern condo where other CLASSY single professional live. I am willing to live on Long Island in the radius of 30-40miles from work. I know its hard to find but what can be a closer residential community to my interests. I appreciate any comments. Thank you, E
I don't know if there are any towns classy enough for such a cosmopolitan single lady as yourself. Hopefully other posters here have ideas.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:33 PM

9,525 posts, read 30,470,032 times
Huntington

Old 02-07-2010, 06:36 PM

217 posts, read 254,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Huntington
I don't know if Huntington would be classy and cosmopolitan enough for carrie bradshaw - who I pictured when reading the Op's post.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,676,751 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Huntington

elsko3, the general consensus on this forum would be the downtown area of the Hamlet of Huntington, colloquially referred to as "Huntington Village".

It is important to know that there are 3 "Huntingtons" (from smallest to largest, in order of acreage):

1. There is the Hamlet of Huntington (whose "downtown" commercial district is colloquially referred to as Huntington Village);

2. There is the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone, and it includes the Hamlet of Huntington and parts of 2 villages (municipal corporations) and 6 other hamlets (unincorporated areas) within its service area; and,

3. There is the Town of Huntington, and it includes 4 villages and 15 hamlets as well as the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone and all or parts of 11 other ZIP Code postal zones, within its borders.

For those who may not be familiar with Huntington:

Huntington is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the north part of the Town of Huntington, in the northwest part of Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Huntington in the Town of Huntington is bordered on the north by Huntington Harbor, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, Huntington Bay and the Hamlet of Centerport; on the east by the Hamlet of Centerport and the Hamlet of Greenlawn; on the south by the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor and the Village of Lloyd Harbor.

The Hamlet of Huntington has a different border than does the "Huntington, NY 11743" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Huntington and a place can have other than a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Huntington): places that have a "Huntington, NY 11743" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Huntington are in the Hamlet of West Hills, the Hamlet of Halesite, the Village of Huntington Bay, the Village of Lloyd Harbor, the Hamlet of Cold Spring Harbor, the Hamlet of Centerport, the Hamlet of Greenlawn, the Hamlet of Elwood and the Hamlet of Huntington Station; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Huntington with a "Huntington Station, NY 11746" and a "Greenlawn, NY 11740" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-07-2010, 07:39 PM

22,666 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Huntington. I doubt you'll be happy there but it sounds closest to what you're looking for.

Old 02-07-2010, 07:48 PM

189 posts, read 632,774 times
Long Beach

Old 02-07-2010, 08:22 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,146,683 times
Huntington is as close as you're gonna get within reasonable driving distance...

Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,929,225 times
Yeah, I'd say Huntington, Long Beach (much further drive though), maybe Manhasset or Port Washington (not as walkable though).

Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,244,639 times
Why so much hostility from responses? I would say Huntington too for location though I think LB is closest to the city atmosphere on the Island but a hike to SB. None will make you forget you are now bridge and tunnel but you need a place that has a quick shot into NYC for your fix. It is not that bad, just not as convenient. Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island