Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

it is unfortunate, but that's the hand we've been dealt. What's a better way to deal with it going forward: hope everyone shapes up on their own...or limit the harm they can to themselves and children?
When the government dictates that you can no longer eat certain foods in an effort to limit the harm you could do to yourself, do you find that acceptable?

Quote:
do you really expect a 12 year old with 5 bucks in his pocket to exercise moderation? Is he going to buy the apple or the candy bar? Cheeseburger or turkey sandwich?
According to what you've written, the government ought 'to limit the harm they can do to themselves and children' so when does the government step out of the lunchroom and into your shopping cart? Does it require 7-11 to card people in order to buy a buttered roll or candy bar?

Quote:
and do you see today's children better or worse off compared to them 25 years in the future? If they're already starting out fat...where does that leave them in 25 years? A large group of them likely won't even live that long.
What about children 50 years ago? We were all out there running about, playing in the grass -- we wanted to be out of the house! We ate breakfast and ran out the door to play. Showed up for lunch and then back outside until dinnertime. Depending on the time of the year, we were outside after dinner, too. We didn't have video games (until later in my case -- Pong wasn't marketed until the mid 70's) or nearly as much access to the processed foods all too readily available today. Yet we see plenty of baby boomers who've had heart attacks (fatal, debilitating or mild), strokes, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc., some of these a result of genetics and the rest the results of unhealthy lifestyles. Does the name Jim Fixx mean anything?

If the Obama administration wishes to promote healthy lifestyles, they should stress a longer school day/year to allow for increased physical education and health classes for all to reach any child whose parent is coming up short in promoting healthy choices and exercise.

Quote:
I propose regulating what's available for sale to children in our schools....a place where their parents can't look out for them and their choices are limited. I'm not saying those items should be taken off the shelves of supermarkets. There's a big difference IMO.
True, but what about private schools, parochial schools? Where is the line drawn? Do we ask for student ID at the local deli to buy a bag of pretzels?

If there is a great concern for promoting healthy lifestyles in our children in an effort to create healthier adults, should cigarettes be banned, liquor banished? We all know how well that went over, which is why these vices are heavily taxed. Why not increase taxes on junk foods, prepared foods, etc., and use those taxes to support health services for the future fatties cardiac infarction crew?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Um...the public school is a function of the government. So, if it serves food it is making serving decisions. So, if it abdicates that responsibility, then who makes the decision?
It wasn't that long ago that the Federal Government declared ketchup a vegetable in school lunches. Cafeteria menus are decided upon at the district level, adhering to government nutritional guidelines as per fat percentages, etc.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,690,224 times
Why do people believe certain foods automatically create fat kids. Fat kids are created by lazy parents who do not make sure their kids are active. To think computers and video games are not a leading contributor to obesity is ridiculous.

Oh, and a bit of advice to all the PC LI soccer moms...the kids can WALK instead of being transported in your new mini-van.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
"Parents should...Parents should...Parents should."

If parents DON'T then should children be made to suffer for their inaction?
At what point do you feel the government should take your right to parent your children away? Chances are we are all good parents. If I choose to send my child to school with a homemade oatmeal cookie for a snack, while your child brings in bottled water and a 100 calorie Oreo pack, does that make us bad people? I don't know whether you have children in elementary school, but a couple of years ago NYS instituted dietary restrictions which prevented what could be brought into the schools by parents. My homemade cookie would be contraband while the prepacked Oreo pack would be acceptable because it listed nutritional information! Nevermind the fact the Oreo pack was full of additives and preservatives.

This is the sort of government interference which I have an issue with.

Quote:
The slippery slope reasoning that allowing the federal government to ban sugary snacks in school vending machines necessarily leads to federal denial of the "right" to have vaccine exceptions is fallacious on a number of levels. It is absurd.
Please tell that to the parents of autistic children who are not 100% convinced that vaccines have not contributed to this. I also refer back to the fact that the state forbids us from bringing in healthy, home prepared foods into the classroom in favor of prepackaged junk.
We're reasonably bright people around here and we know that the lobbyists for big business control things. If General Mills wants something, they will get what they want, over the wishes of the parent. Same applies for big pharma and prescription drugs.

Quote:
Besides, the ban isn't an outright ban. The government uses a carrot, as if to say, "If you want federal money for X and/or Y, you must comply with Z." You have the right to reject the federal "ban." You also have the right to change your state speed limits to 95, but you will lose federal road subsidies.
I believe that's called strong-arming.

Quote:
Federal government frowns on selling cigarettes in schools too. Has that led to other losses of rights?
When the smoking age is eliminated, we can mull this over. Seems that smoking adults have done a significant amount of damage to themselves and nonsmoking children and adults around them, thought, enough to warrant high taxes on tobacco products.

Quote:
Besides, there shouldn't be exemptions made for vaccines. You want to take medical advice from Jenny McCarthy, then you should quarantine your kid in home school.
I am a proponent for vaccination and prefer my children protected that way as opposed to the herd immunity my vaccinated child and others provide for the non vaccinated. Diminishing the concerns of parents with autistic children, by maligning an outspoken advocate simply because she a pretty comedienne and not a withered, wizened FDA talking head is a cheap shot.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:41 PM

496 posts, read 1,249,402 times
Quote:
Um...the public school is a function of the government. So, if it serves food it is making serving decisions. So, if it abdicates that responsibility, then who makes the decision?
My kids aren't government property. Agree on junk food, but I am, and should be, the sole person deciding what my child will eat/not eat. No one else.
Government can make a recommendation, but we all know what's good and what is not good. Kids need more playtime in school and at home. Obesity is not about what you eat, but how much exercise one gets too.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:46 PM

406 posts, read 1,448,363 times
I guess the defender of McDonald's never saw the movie, "Super-size Me", in which the protagonist lived on nothing but McDonald's for a month, gains over 20 pounds and suffered irreversible heath problems as a result. As far as the vaccination controversy, the author of the original study blaming autism on vaccinations has been discredited and has lost his licence to practice medicine as a result of his flawed methodology. He, and his supporters including Ms. McCarthy have done much harm by their ill informed support,causing much unneeded sickness and suffering.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:48 PM

217 posts, read 254,179 times
At the end of the day, the decision is a correct one made by the wrong people - this should be made at the district level to allow parents to have some sort of say.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:01 PM

302 posts, read 589,464 times
Totally agree with the above. Banning junk food in schools should be out of the president's jurisdiction. Are we still in a democratic society?? I don't even know how this solves the problem. So the kids will not be served junk food in schools, they will just think junk foods are treats they can have elsewhere. A healthier lifestyle should be encouraged, first and foremost, by the parents, by TV shows, books, health classes, etc. Banning junk food is just another manifestation of how the government is trying to control every aspect of our lives... ridiculous.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:16 PM

4,695 posts, read 8,734,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
My kids aren't government property. Agree on junk food, but I am, and should be, the sole person deciding what my child will eat/not eat. No one else.
and how much say do parents have in what their kid eats when he/she is at school with money for lunch? Hint: NONE.

I'm sure there are parents here who are raising SUPER KIDS who are able to eat healthy all on their own and don't need any guidance in this area...but this is obviously not true for everyone.

The schools are already deciding for parents what their children who purchase lunch are able to eat....how is this significantly different?

Old 02-08-2010, 09:31 PM

852 posts, read 2,014,096 times
Default Okay...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
Government can make a recommendation, but we all know what's good and what is not good. Kids need more playtime in school and at home. Obesity is not about what you eat, but how much exercise one gets too.
Tell me when YOU decided that water should be served from the fountains? When did you grant approval for the milk? The content of the soda machines.

I'm interested in your reply. Everything at your school is a function of the government, from the brand of toilet paper in the stalls to the foreign language curriculum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island