Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM

852 posts, read 2,013,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Did the Federal government require NYC to post calorie counts, or was it NYC on its own that decided to make this law? When people refer to the BIG GOVERNMENT bogey man, it's about the Federal Government's reach. Most people would agree that calorie counts are a good thing, and the decision was made at the right level. This school junk food ban was the right move at the wrong level of government.
If your defense of the action is that people agree with it, why does it matter at what level the decision was made?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM

416 posts, read 696,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
If your defense of the action is that people agree with it, why does it matter at what level the decision was made?
The end doesn't justify the means.

What's the point of every other government level if the federal government is going to make decisions for us at such a granular level?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,242,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO RIDER View Post
plenty of places to play in massapequa. we have great parks, beaches and nature preserves, and we still have fat kids!
You miss the point, which is that it's not about any one thing. It's a combination of factors.

Also, the whole world isn't like Massapequa.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:31 PM

Default I must say, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Typical

You voted in Obama for the handouts

Now you want his Marxist administration to tell you what to do.

Anyone that agrees with this agenda won't have to worry too long. Your kids will probably drop out of school just like you did.

Less government people
This argument is very compelling. I like the way it marshals evidence and clearly articulates its point.

History be damned! So what is Bush handed $700 Billion to banks to bail out there under-regulated and un-funded investment schemes! It's all OBAMA'S FAULT!

But Obama's a Marxist. Why? Probably because he collected nearly all of the $700 Billion and tried to spend $40 Billion and wants to give it to small banks so that they can loan it to small businesses! What a Marxist! I'm not sure where that move was outlined in the Manifesto, but Glenn Beck said so! It must be true. I mean, it was on his chalkboard and everything!

Oh, and I received a series of Marxist tax cuts this year. This man is SOOOO Marxist!

Oh, and he wants to freeze domestic entitlement increases! Marxist!

Oh, and he says that only good jobs are created by the private sector! What a Marxist!

Golly, I agree with everything here! End big government, and start with public schools! It is socialized learning! Home school your kids with a Bible! Teach your kids real stuff, like how women should be subservient, men should have facial hair, and not to eat shellfish!

Who is with me??!!!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:32 PM

Default It doesn't

Quote:
The end doesn't justify the means.

What's the point of every other government level if the federal government is going to make decisions for us at such a granular level?
It's a choice. Schools could opt out of federal subsidies and avoid the snack tyranny!

Old 02-09-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
It's a choice. Schools could opt out of federal subsidies and avoid the snack tyranny!
That's practical

How about the federal government stay out of local government activity?

Old 02-09-2010, 12:39 PM

Default So you CHOOSE to do it?

Quote:
That's practical

How about the federal government stay out of local government activity?
In other words, you want it your way but don't want to have to make meaningful choices.

Here's the deal. If the federal government is supposed to be making education more locally affordable, and yet the local schools go running to PepsiCo, shaking their cup for more, I think that there is nothing wrong with the federal government saying, "Them or us!" The federal government doesn't exist to subsidize captive markets for snack vendors. Evidently, you think differently.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
In other words, you want it your way but don't want to have to make meaningful choices.

Here's the deal. If the federal government is supposed to be making education more locally affordable, and yet the local schools go running to PepsiCo, shaking their cup for more, I think that there is nothing wrong with the federal government saying, "Them or us!" The federal government doesn't exist to subsidize captive markets for snack vendors. Evidently, you think differently.
Wrong - if the school district is spending funds foolishy or in a manner I do not agree with, the school board should act or be voted out. My votes counts a lot more in local elections than it does in federal elections.

How about the federal government collect less taxes and let the local district collect the taxes and decide what to do? Remove the middle man altogether.

Oh wait, we want BO to wipe our @sses after we take a dump, and then put the bib on us while he feeds us

Old 02-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Default Oh that's easy.

Quote:
Wrong - if the school district is spending funds foolishy or in a manner I do not agree with, the school board should act or be voted out. My votes counts a lot more in local elections than it does in federal elections.

How about the federal government collect less taxes and let the local district collect the taxes and decide what to do? Remove the middle man altogether.

Oh wait, we want BO to wipe our @sses after we take a dump, and then put the bib on us while he feeds us
See, Obama's a communist who thinks that just because a school district or county has no tax base, it's kids shouldn't be learning in dirt-floor and unheated classrooms.

When your local school district agrees to accept federal money to defray the costs of standardized testing, it agrees to be accountable to the institution that gives them the money - I believe in accountability.

Federal government taxes are based on its expenditures - or should be. You are already undertaxed. How much more should we borrow from the Chinese. And before you give me the predictable rant about entitlements and that old story, keep in mind that the vast majority of the budget is spent on defense, which is itself a huge government give-away and make-work program.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:05 PM

Default You are predictable

Accountability can and does exist outside of the federal government. No one here is saying let kids in poor municipalities learn in substandard conditions. The issue is whether the federal government needs to get involved on a localized issue. You say yes because it fits your ideology. At the end of the day, I say I want the accountability and control at the lowest possible level, where my vote counts the most. I'm not going to get into a flaming war with you, because I see how you acted towards other posters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island