Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 03:32 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,860,945 times

Advertisements

well, I would never take my child to a mcdonalds, but that is just me.

it is one thing if you are an adult and have choices. kids don't have choices in school, they have to eat the garbage they are served in school, unless parents make them lunch which i am sure many do not have time to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 03:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Most of us do not subscribe to Newsrag online, so I only was able to read the first few lines.

I agree that junk food should not be sold in vending machines at our schools. However it is the parents who should be raising their voice to the school board which signs the contracts with the vending companies, and receive a percentage for every item sold.

Schools should also focus more on outside recess whenever possible to get children moving during the day. Too bad so many parents are worried about Petunia and Patsy getting chilly on a brisk day, and too many monitors are too content to sit inside where it is warm instead of getting their butts outside on said brisk day to monitor the children. Sheesh -- what a concept! Monitors doing their job!

Gym a handful of times a week is inadequate.

The government has no place in the lunchroom, unless it was fully funding lunch programs in ALL school districts rich or poor, black or white. If we allow it access to the lunchroom, it's only a small step before parents can no longer take special exemptions for vaccines. If the government wants to ban anything, it should be violent video games.

Parents have to learn to be parents and not give in to what's easiest -- like letting the children get their way, or allowing the government to parent for them.

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 02-08-2010 at 03:39 PM.. Reason: Clarity

Old 02-08-2010, 03:40 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Nothing unwholesome about McDonalds..they even serve it on our naval ships..don't see many fat sailors do you?

Eat what you like, eat what you want..don't buy into the organic wholesome nonsense.
adults vs. kids = unfair comparison.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Most of us do not subscribe to Newsrag online, so I only was able to read the first few lines.

I agree that junk food should not be sold in vending machines at our schools. However it is the parents who should be raising their voice to the school board which signs the contracts with the vending companies, and receive a percentage for every item sold.
this has not/will not happen any time soon. Parents will likely go for whoever is cheapest. Time for Plan B.

Quote:
The government has no place in the lunchroom, unless it was fully funding lunch programs in ALL school districts rich or poor, black or white. If we allow it access to the lunchroom, it's only a small step before parents can no longer take special exemptions for vaccines. If the government wants to ban anything, it should be violent video games.
but when the fatties end up on medicaid with heart disease or whatever, the governement is the one who has to foot the bill. If the government wants to promote healthier kids and save some money down the road...I don't see the harm in that.

Quote:
Parents have to learn to be parents and not give in to what's easiest -- like letting the children get their way, or allowing the government to parent for them.
more perfect world stuff. It all sounds good and all...but it's not based in reality. at least not for the masses.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:34 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
this has not/will not happen any time soon. Parents will likely go for whoever is cheapest. Time for Plan B.
Part of the reason for that is that many school districts have to struggle to balance unfunded government mandates which have to come out of the budget somewhere.

Unfortunately there are too many lazy people out there who find it easier to pass off all their responsibilities. There are a handful of us who are vocal and it would be a pleasant change to see more people on board. Districts where parents are well educated and better informed might start a change to a healthier lunchroom faster than those in poorer areas.

I admit to allowing my children to buy school lunch on pizza day. Tar and feather me. The rest of the week I am packing healthy lunches for the brood as well as a healthy snack for the youngest.

Heck, I will admit there are Mallomars in my house as I type. Should I be marched out to the stockade a a chocolate J smeared on my head for allowing such junk? Or is the fact that we enjoy two Mallomars after dinner every so often acceptable? Moderation. Too bad so many people don't understand what it means or how to apply it to their lifestyle -- be it food, saving money, breeding indiscriminately, etc.

Quote:
but when the fatties end up on medicaid with heart disease or whatever, the governement is the one who has to foot the bill. If the government wants to promote healthier kids and save some money down the road...I don't see the harm in that.
If we mandate/promote healthier children now by taking away the junk food, what are we supposed to do when they are 1) outside of school and 2) adults with access to junk food? I'm out of HS over 25 years. I pulled down the old yearbook and saw strapping, athletic boys. Next I went to Facebook and see many of them as chunky, balding men.
Those potbellied men wolfing down hotdogs at the game, chugging beers at the bar, weren't all fatties in elementary school, were they?

Quote:
more perfect world stuff. It all sounds good and all...but it's not based in reality. at least not for the masses.
What would you propose?

How much intrusion into our lives do we want on the part of the government?

Old 02-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Part of the reason for that is that many school districts have to struggle to balance unfunded government mandates which have to come out of the budget somewhere.
does the govt. mandate teacher salaries and benefit packages?

Quote:
Unfortunately there are too many lazy people out there who find it easier to pass off all their responsibilities. There are a handful of us who are vocal and it would be a pleasant change to see more people on board. Districts where parents are well educated and better informed might start a change to a healthier lunchroom faster than those in poorer areas.
it is unfortunate, but that's the hand we've been dealt. What's a better way to deal with it going forward: hope everyone shapes up on their own...or limit the harm they can to themselves and children?

Quote:
I admit to allowing my children to buy school lunch on pizza day. Tar and feather me. The rest of the week I am packing healthy lunches for the brood as well as a healthy snack for the youngest.

Heck, I will admit there are Mallomars in my house as I type. Should I be marched out to the stockade a a chocolate J smeared on my head for allowing such junk? Or is the fact that we enjoy two Mallomars after dinner every so often acceptable? Moderation. Too bad so many people don't understand what it means or how to apply it to their lifestyle -- be it food, saving money, breeding indiscriminately, etc.
do you really expect a 12 year old with 5 bucks in his pocket to exercise moderation? Is he going to buy the apple or the candy bar? Cheeseburger or turkey sandwich?

Quote:
If we mandate/promote healthier children now by taking away the junk food, what are we supposed to do when they are 1) outside of school and 2) adults with access to junk food? I'm out of HS over 25 years. I pulled down the old yearbook and saw strapping, athletic boys. Next I went to Facebook and see many of them as chunky, balding men.
Those potbellied men wolfing down hotdogs at the game, chugging beers at the bar, weren't all fatties in elementary school, were they?
and do you see today's children better or worse off compared to them 25 years in the future? If they're already starting out fat...where does that leave them in 25 years? A large group of them likely won't even live that long.

Quote:
What would you propose?

How much intrusion into our lives do we want on the part of the government?
I propose regulating what's available for sale to children in our schools....a place where their parents can't look out for them and their choices are limited. I'm not saying those items should be taken off the shelves of supermarkets. There's a big difference IMO.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:12 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,467 times
Default Are you kidding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh come on now..do you really believe junk food is the cause of obesity? I guess you advocate government social engineering.

Perhaps if kids got out from their computer and went outside to play they wouldn't have a weight problem.

I bet you secretly eat a lot of junk food. Come on, admit it.
What's with this reply? Are you 5?

So, you reject on its face that inexpensive and high calorie snacks contribute to obesity, and opt instead to believe that computers cause it.

Then you just make fun of the writer?

What's your problem?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:15 PM

Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
I think people should eat healthier, however I don't think the government should have any hand in what is served or not served in schools or anywhere else.
Um...the public school is a function of the government. So, if it serves food it is making serving decisions. So, if it abdicates that responsibility, then who makes the decision?

Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:

"Parents should...Parents should...Parents should."

If parents DON'T then should children be made to suffer for their inaction?

The slippery slope reasoning that allowing the federal government to ban sugary snacks in school vending machines necessarily leads to federal denial of the "right" to have vaccine exceptions is fallacious on a number of levels. It is absurd.

Besides, the ban isn't an outright ban. The government uses a carrot, as if to say, "If you want federal money for X and/or Y, you must comply with Z." You have the right to reject the federal "ban." You also have the right to change your state speed limits to 95, but you will lose federal road subsidies.

Federal government frowns on selling cigarettes in schools too. Has that led to other losses of rights?

Besides, there shouldn't be exemptions made for vaccines. You want to take medical advice from Jenny McCarthy, then you should quarantine your kid in home school.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:26 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
That's what my sister does with her kid. You would not believe the disgusting junky diet she lets him eat because he "will not" eat decent healthy food. It is totally gross. I say if he "won't" eat decent food so you allow him to eat utter crap all the time, change it and once he gets hungry enough he WILL eat the decent food. He has digestive and behavioral problems and I even tried to get her to take him to be tested for food allergies, but she won't do it, and I suspect it is because if it is found out he has those allergies and he cannot eat something he likes, he will have fifty fits. She'd rather not know he has food allergies if it will make him more difficult to deal with by possibly banning some of the only foods he will eat.

PS: He is not overweight or obese ... yet. There is still plenty of time since he is only in elementary school now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island