Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 09:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Leave early in the morning, take the Meritt to the Hutch to 95 over the Throgs Neck to the LIE via Cross Island. As long as you aren't doing it on a Sunday afternoon or during rush hour, the Ferry is only for the scenic and convenience aspects. It doesn't save you time. Just check for contsruction on any of the roads before you leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emceejay View Post
Thanks to all for the responses thus far. The flight is at 12:00pm, but I was planning on an early ferry, if we go that route.

My biggest concern is not the length of the drive (I can plan drive time) but the unknown factors such as traffic. I am looking at the ferry option, which with a full car load approaches $90, as more of a guaranteed arrival time rather than sweating it out in traffic somewhere.

If we just drive it, is the 95 - 695 - 295 - CIP - LIE the best route? I have experienced lots of congestion at various times of the day on the cross bronx - does this route avoid that?
When you factor in the cost of the bridge toll, plus the additional gas you would use and deduct that from the $90 ferry fare, the ferry becomes a little more reasonable. (If you have children under 12 they are free on the Bridgeport ferry, I forget what the cut off age is for the New London.)

The route you've given 95-695-295-CIP-LIE avoids most of the Cross Bronx. You'll actually come onto the Cross Bronx shortly before the Throgs Neck Tolls.

Old 02-12-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Leave early in the morning, take the Meritt to the Hutch to 95 over the Throgs Neck to the LIE via Cross Island. As long as you aren't doing it on a Sunday afternoon or during rush hour, the Ferry is only for the scenic and convenience aspects. It doesn't save you time. Just check for contsruction on any of the roads before you leave.
Definite toss up on the ferry factor.

If you're at the CT ferry way before it's time to depart, yes, the drive around can be faster, provided there is no traffic, construction, or accidents.

Personal experience only -- most often I am driving off LI in a commercial vehicle. The Bridgeport ferry is faster than dealing with the LIE and assorted idiots and maniacs on it. In my situation, I can not utilize the CIP and have to head to the Clearview. Meanwhile, I live 10 mins from the ferry -- I get there 15 mins before loading and having a larger vehicle, almost always am one of the 1st trucks off. More often that not, bport comes in ahead of the stated 1:15 crossing time.

On an average day I can be from my house to the Throgs Neck in 50 mins using the truck. It's another 30-35 mins or so around to Bport.

Coming back to LI -- it's a toss up.

If I hit Bport with 45 mins or more to spare in the evening, I will opt to drive around. During the day, I stay put and wait to cross.

Old 02-12-2010, 10:12 AM

187 posts, read 863,358 times
For me the Ferry is a must and definitely worth the extra $$ in exchange for the aggravation of driving near the city at ANY time.

For coming down, I recommend NL->Orient as that takes out any potential traffic probs on 95 between NL and Bridgeport. Also the ride from Orient is beautiful.

Just watch out for which boat you'll be getting out of Orient, avoid the boat named 'New London' like the plague..

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
Just watch out for which boat you'll be getting out of Orient, avoid the boat named 'New London' like the plague..
Why? Just because they hand each person an oar as they board and ask you to help row? Just because they seem to lose one to two cars per trip? Just because the captain uses "How to operate a boat for dummies" book?

Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Why? Just because they hand each person an oar as they board and ask you to help row? Just because they seem to lose one to two cars per trip? Just because the captain uses "How to operate a boat for dummies" book?

One time I was on it they were 'docking by feel'
Needless to say, they did not instill confidence in many of the passengers!

Old 06-15-2011, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 937 times
where can i get discount coupons for New London to LI ferry

Old 06-15-2011, 09:12 AM

3,520 posts, read 5,702,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emceejay View Post
Hi All

Will be flying out of MacArthur Airport in April. Which is the better option on a Saturday morning coming down 95s: The New London to Orient Ferry or the Bridgeport to Port Jeff Ferry - OR - just scrap the whole ferry idea altogether.

Thanks!!
What part of MA are you coming from?
I would use the Bridgeport - Port Jeff Ferry. Do this trip 2x a year to Maine.

From MA (assuming you are coming from Boston or its general vicinity) to Bridgeport:

Mass Pike to I-84
I-84 to I-91
I-91 to I-95 South (west)
I-95 to Exit 27?? Bridgeport. Follow signs to Ferry terminal.

From Port Jeff to MacArthur:

Off Ferry Terminal, go NY 112 South
NY 112 South to I-495 LIE West (there are short cuts, but this is to not confuse you)
I-495 West to Exit 59 Ocean Avenue, go south on Ocean Ave (left at light)
Ocean Ave will become Lakeland Avenue (Ocean veers to the right)
Go East (left) on NY454 (vets hwy)
Go 1/2 mile to airport entrance on left.

Old 06-15-2011, 09:23 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
I hope he found his way. His question was asked about 14 months ago.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 721 times
We are planning to take the Bridgeport ferry to Long Island Monday 9/23 around midday. Do we just take the 95 to the ferry terminal or is it more complicated? On LI plan on ending up in Southampton.

Thanks.
J
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island