Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiac View Post
Not me. I grew up in North Babylon. My mother still lives there. After having experienced life in cities, suburbs and rural areas, you couldn't pay me and my family enough to move back to LI. Well maybe you could but we're talking at least 7 seven figures per year.

It's crowded. It's expensive. There's a definite attitude that DH and I find unpleasant. We don't even like going back to visit.

Oh sure, it seemed fine while I was growing up, but I'm glad my children were able to grow up elsewhere.
I'm lucky, my parents and in-laws all moved south.

What part of NB are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 09:34 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,873 times
I've been to the South...not sure how lucky you are. ;o)

I'm glad you like it, though. That's all you could ask for, really.

Old 07-12-2007, 09:51 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
Once again, it's low on the totem pole people that can't scrape 2 dimes together that seem to be complaining.
I'm wondering what you call 'low on the totem pole people'? Are we scum because we are stay at home mothers with one income trying to raise our families instead of "Head Start" or some other babysitting service? What about 2 hard working people who just can't make the requisite money to afford an apartment here, let alone a house? Are they 'low?' Next time you eat at McDonald's, tell that worker making your burger he's a lowly man. How about the lady who works in an office? Do you think customer service people make good money? What about the guys who cut your grass? Or the woman works as a preschool teacher? Guess they are 'low men' too.

Personally I will take going to bed at night with a wonderful credit score, a happy family, and my education over being some corrupt corporate accountant or crooked but rich lawyer any day.

There are more things in life that matter more than having $300,000 to buy a home on Long Island. Owning 2 hummers doesn't make you any better person than I am.

Keep this precious island..I can't wait to get off it (again) but this time we are never coming back. And for all those deadbeats with the defaulting bills for new cars, big houses, and so on--I am personally tired of paying for you 'lowly people' living above your means.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I'm wondering what you call 'low on the totem pole people'? Are we scum because we are stay at home mothers with one income trying to raise our families instead of "Head Start" or some other babysitting service? What about 2 hard working people who just can't make the requisite money to afford an apartment here, let alone a house? Are they 'low?' Next time you eat at McDonald's, tell that worker making your burger he's a lowly man. How about the lady who works in an office? Do you think customer service people make good money? What about the guys who cut your grass? Or the woman works as a preschool teacher? Guess they are 'low men' too.

Personally I will take going to bed at night with a wonderful credit score, a happy family, and my education over being some corrupt corporate accountant or crooked but rich lawyer any day.

There are more things in life that matter more than having $300,000 to buy a home on Long Island. Owning 2 hummers doesn't make you any better person than I am.

Keep this precious island..I can't wait to get off it (again) but this time we are never coming back. And for all those deadbeats with the defaulting bills for new cars, big houses, and so on--I am personally tired of paying for you 'lowly people' living above your means.
See ya! I'm sure you'll be missed by many.

Old 07-12-2007, 10:21 AM

68 posts, read 197,883 times
Default ...

I lived on Long Island when I was young and then we moved and my family was miserable. We all ended up moving back years later and I am so glad to back.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:15 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
[quote=NLay;802045]I have been out to Long Island twice in the last month and I think its nice there I'm just worried about finding a nice place to live without using our last dollar. We have 2 kids ages 5 &3 and I don't want to take away from what they have here in Indy, but in the long run everything would be better for all of us if my husband takes this job there. Is there anywhere nice that has affordable rentals or homes near Medford?[/QUOT

Try Rocky Point/Sound Beach

Old 07-12-2007, 11:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
homes in our development are running just under $500,000 ; for a 4 bed, 2 -3 bath, 2400sq ft home on 2/3 acre in Medford.

d

Old 07-12-2007, 11:27 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,677,396 times
Im having a hard time taking the Garden City Guy seriously.

Classism is the new Racism here.

From my vantage point on the Totem Pole...its a tale of Two Islands.

Millionaires and Illegal Immigrants.

Give it 10 more years.

Welcome to the Hotel California baby.

Old 07-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Im having a hard time taking the Garden City Guy seriously.

Classism is the new Racism here.

From my vantage point on the Totem Pole...its a tale of Two Islands.

Millionaires and Illegal Immigrants.

Give it 10 more years.

Welcome to the Hotel California baby.
Why can't you? While certainly not everyone, it seems to me that a large number of bashers on this site do so b/c they are having a tough time making ends meet. I have no problems with that, I wish they all could afford the place, etc. but making blanket statements that the area stinks, etc. and not saying they're having a tough financial time does the Island a disservice and it does people reading this board to learn about the Island a disservice. That's all I meant. It wasn't about me being better or worse or me not liking the fry guy. I actually have a lot of respect for people don't lower types of jobs b/c they are working and doing what they can and not robbing or collecting wlefare. You can read into it all you want, as many people are apt to do.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:08 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
I've never said it stinks here. I think it is a wonderful place if you make plenty (and I mean plenty) of money. It's not the same place I was raised in 30 years ago, however.

"Average' salaried people CANNOT make it here. Why do people keep disagreeing with this point?

Clamboy--you can't argue with people who think they are superior simply
because they have money. It's the worst sort of problem in many places--the well off vs. the working poor. See what this island is like without a middle class in a few more years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island