Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM

104 posts, read 379,309 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am thinking of moving to LI and have been focusing on Mineola. I found an apartment complex called Fairhaven Apartments. Anyone know about these rentals? Any info would be helpful. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 08:38 AM

55 posts, read 176,377 times
Hi, we saw those apartments. They have other locations. We found it was dirty and run down. Also we were told by someone who lives there that parking is hassle. This sucks when you just return from shopping. Not sure how committed you are to Mineola. If you can go 2.5 further there is the Archstone Apts that are much more up to date, cleaner and gated. They are a little more expensive but you get to use the gym, ample parking and near all the major stores. If your interested drop me an email at SDanielJ@aol.com I can tell you more.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:41 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,949,894 times
Just remember that any of these big apartment complexes, especially those with multiple locations, consider that a good chunk of your security deposit is gone forever when you give it to them. You will get charged $200 for carpet cleaning, $100's for marks on walls, etc when you leave. There is no accounting for normal wear and tear, they expect for you to return the apt to it's original condition by paying them..they'll take just enough that it won't be worth taking them to small claims court.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:25 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,220,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Just remember that any of these big apartment complexes, especially those with multiple locations, consider that a good chunk of your security deposit is gone forever when you give it to them. You will get charged $200 for carpet cleaning, $100's for marks on walls, etc when you leave. There is no accounting for normal wear and tear, they expect for you to return the apt to it's original condition by paying them..they'll take just enough that it won't be worth taking them to small claims court.
Yes, it's quite a racket on the Island. I had the misfortune of being a tenant of Fairfield Properties--not sure if they're related to Fairhaven but if the cheap white plastic fencing and the green and gold signs are any indication, they might be.

Anyway, they did a bait-and-switch on me by showing me one apartment when I came up from Virginia to look, and when I moved in, my unit was a pit. The wall a/c was broken and moldy and the carpet looked to be older than I am. Well, they tried to take that out of my security. They also tried to charge me for my laundry room pass because no one was in the rental office the day I moved out to return it and I ended up mailing it.

Unfortunately for them, I am one of those pain-in-the-butt tenants who puts all of her complaints in writing and uses Certified Mail/Return Receipt with people she doesn't trust. I had the paper trail for everything and got the $400 they tried to keep.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:28 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
I lived in the Fairhaven apartments in Carle Place (on Old Country Road) in the mid-90s for 2 years. We had no problems, clean, plenty of parking, superintendent always responsive, and we got back our whole security with nary a glitch. Sorry to see it's changed based on complaints here.

We looked at the ones on Jericho in Mineola and they were too close to the Northern State for me, although we could'vee gotten a 2BR for the same price as the 1BR we did get.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM

104 posts, read 379,309 times
Thanks for the info folks. Frankly I went to a few sites that rate apartments and about 90% of the talk about the Fairhaven apartments were very negative. I'll keep looking then and check out the Archstone apartments as well.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,507,081 times
BTW - those apartments are not near the train - I know you want to be walking distance if possible. Stay closer to Mineola Blvd.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdanielj View Post
If you can go 2.5 further there is the Archstone Apts ...
The Archstone Apartments are in East Garden City ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) and had, and may still have, a severe mold problem.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 02-13-2010 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Mailing address should be "Westbury", not "Garden City".

Old 02-13-2010, 09:23 PM

186 posts, read 732,397 times
Default Lived there

We lived for a year in Fairhaven but at Carle Place, which are like a 3 minute drive from the ones in Mineola. We just moved out last October. The apartments are decent for the price you pay, especially compared to Archstone or Avalon ones. They are not the most updated or clean places, but we were lucky to get a 1-BR that had a redone kitchen and bath, so all appliances and bathroom fittings etc were brand new. The Super at CP one is a good guy and we never had issues with delays in getting things fixed, which happened just once in the whole year.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can look at Archstone or even Westwood Village (Home Properties) in Westbury, but they both are $2000+ and $1750+ respectively for a 1 BR!!!!!!!!!!! Fairhaven is convenient because its in Mineola, which has great connectivity to the city on LIRR.

Good Luck!

Old 02-13-2010, 09:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
... or even Westwood Village (Home Properties) in Westbury ...
Isn't Westwood Village off of Brush Hollow Road in Jericho ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island