Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:56 AM

19 posts, read 133,655 times

Advertisements

I'm helping a friend plan her 2010 April wedding...yes I know...its only a couple months away but they just got engaged and would like to get married immediately. We'd like to find something elegant but not too expensive. It would have to be a large place that can accommodate 300 - 400 people. I'm not too familiar with the area so I thought I'd ask the locals as you guys might have more experiences with this. I would love to get some information on places and the cost per head if possible. Also, please indicate if that price includes food as well as this couple would like to use a specific caterer for the event.
Any other ideas on what the typical per head cost is for the venues in the area and any creative ways to save money on this would be really helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 11:43 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,914,268 times
The Grand Prospect Hall

Old 02-19-2010, 08:02 PM

162 posts, read 381,822 times
Leonards of Great Neck

Leonard's La Dolce Vita

Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 PM

721 posts, read 1,558,617 times
A friend of mine had a big wedding and got married at the NY Hall of Science I think?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 PM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
Elegant and not too expensive don't go well together. Kinda an oxymoron.
April is really pushin it, I doubt you'll get cheap AND elegant in such a short time period, usually cheap-n-elegant is booked 6 months to a year in advance.
Also, 300-400 is a hell of a lot of people. You need a really large venue, or you're gonna have to hurt a whole of feelings by cutting the list down.
Might wanna look into an updated fire station hall or legion hall.
April is pretty busy for weddings. You may have to lower your expectations a tad.
there's always Vegas and plan a big reception at a later date.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:58 AM

9,915 posts, read 23,020,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Elegant and not too expensive don't go well together. Kinda an oxymoron.
April is really pushin it, I doubt you'll get cheap AND elegant in such a short time period, usually cheap-n-elegant is booked 6 months to a year in advance.
Also, 300-400 is a hell of a lot of people. You need a really large venue, or you're gonna have to hurt a whole of feelings by cutting the list down.
Might wanna look into an updated fire station hall or legion hall.
April is pretty busy for weddings. You may have to lower your expectations a tad.

Very true!

Was just talking about this subject with one of my daughters. A lot of her friends either just got married or are getting married. You're going to have to be very creative to find something just two months out - most nice places are booked a good year ahead of time or more.

The large number of people is going to seriously limit her choices, never mind getting a bargain. How about Oheka Castle?? Expensive, but they can accommodate big weddings... And on such short notice, many people may no longer be able to accept the invitation because of other plans - unless the 300-400 people have already been informed?? Just sending out the invitations and getting a good count back is time consuming...

If they want their own choice of caterer, that's going to be even more difficult, because that's partly where these places make their money! Some will let you bring your own cake, but the whole dinner?? Good luck! Unless they use a VFW Hall or similar, as has been suggested - but that's hardly elegant

Do they have an amount and/or budget in mind? What about Photographer, Videographer, Band, etc.??

Good luck to them - sounds like a difficult task at best.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:16 AM

19,583 posts, read 20,395,815 times
I'm sort of in the wedding/affair business.

Send me a PM if you need help or more info.

I honestly do not believe you will be able to pull this off in such a short time frame, at least not within the scope of what you are looking to do.

Old 02-20-2010, 09:45 AM

313 posts, read 1,049,372 times
You should go on a site like LIWeddings.com to see if there are any women who have recently cancelled weddings- often they are on the hook for the full amount owed to the hall and the only real option is to find someone like your friend who wants to get married very soon and needs to find a place. It can be tough- she should also look into the possibility of having a Friday night wedding as those don't get booked as quick as a Saturday night. Getting married on a Friday night is also a good way to keep down costs.

Three to four hundred people is a lot- I am not sure if there are even that many places that can accomodate such a big group, but then again, I had a very small wedding myself and only checked out smaller venues.

Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM

63 posts, read 270,118 times
Terrace on the Park can accomodate 300 people, but I don't think you use your own caterer. Not sure how inexpensive it could be either. What do you consider inexpensive???

Old 02-20-2010, 10:59 PM

12,769 posts, read 18,262,887 times
I am sure there are places that can accomodate that # but you will probably be SOL considering the wedding is in April.

What is the reason to rush such a thing? In my book, kinda silly. Regardless though, I hope it works out for your friend.

I agree, you might have to cut the list. It is easier to find a place for a smaller # than it is a larger one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: