Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 08:55 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,330,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
This morning I saw a guy standing on the corner of Route 83 and Horseblock road holding a sign that said Carpenter 4 Hire. The guy was white, so he may have been an American.

Maybe he is out of work or figures if others in that area can do that, so can he.

First time I ever saw him though.

Impossible. White people simply don't do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 09:07 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,315,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Off topic, but there was a guy who used to stand on the corner of 83 and the South Service Road in Farmingville...I'd see him on and off for YEARS holding a sign saying "will work for food, hungry and homeless"...he was a white guy with a long white hair and a beard, hunched over and shaking...this was back in the 90's. I always wanted to talk to the guy and find out if he was for real or if this was some kind of sociology experiment. Anyone remember this guy?
He sounds a lot like the guy that used to be over on exit 61 eastbound. He'd stand there with a sign that said the same thing on the left side of the road just before the corner. If this is the same guy, he was not homeless. Someone followed him and discovered he lived in a house in Holbrook, north of the LIE. I used to see him in the mid to late 90's. Haven't seen him in ages.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:08 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 7 days ago)

19,723 posts, read 20,515,530 times
I remember that guy.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM

6,380 posts, read 13,104,207 times
Yep, I see this guy. I seen him about a month ago. He is actually on the corner of the LIE service road and Holbrook Road(left side). I never give him anything.

Quote:
He sounds a lot like the guy that used to be over on exit 61 eastbound. He'd stand there with a sign that said the same thing on the left side of the road just before the corner. If this is the same guy, he was not homeless. Someone followed him and discovered he lived in a house in Holbrook, north of the LIE. I used to see him in the mid to late 90's. Haven't seen him in ages.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Yep, I see this guy. I seen him about a month ago. He is actually on the corner of the LIE service road and Holbrook Road(left side). I never give him anything.
Patchogue-Holbrook road or regular Holbrook road (next light over)?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:33 AM

13,507 posts, read 16,974,510 times
Quote:

The thing that got me is that the guy would sometimes be out there in the pouring rain when it was 40 degrees out and stuff..the guy has a house? Bizarre.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 AM

I agree. He'd be out there in 30 degree weather too.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:11 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,115,668 times
Quote:
Patchogue-Holbrook road or regular Holbrook road (next light over)?
Patchogue-Holbrook..

Haven't seen him in a year but I know someone who followed him home too...

He was getting food from people too.

Anyone else being asked for money at gas stations? I've been asked for money from people claiming they don't have enough to get home..nice cars though...

Old 02-19-2010, 02:14 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,974,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gue View Post
Patchogue-Holbrook..

Haven't seen him in a year but I know someone who followed him home too...

He was getting food from people too.

Anyone else being asked for money at gas stations? I've been asked for money from people claiming they don't have enough to get home..nice cars though...
That's the oldest scam in the book for scoring drug money.

Everytime I'm on the Jersey Turnpike or Garden State the last few years this has happened to me...20 something kid comes up to me asks me for money because he ran out of gas and can't get home ie wants to buy heroin.

Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 PM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,115,668 times
Yeah~One time I did go in & tell the cashier to put $2.00 of gas in a guys car..but mostly I don't...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island