U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 08:27 PM

9,067 posts, read 10,448,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Personally I think the big H jumped the shark when it lost IMAC and the Rose and Thistle.
; (

Doesnt mean it sucks.
Still a great drinkin' town!

Crooks
When they knocked that place down my nephew said to my sister

"mom, what happened here?!" and my sister said "they paved paradise, and put up a parking lot".

That was a sad day when they got rid of my old stomping grounds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 08:41 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,984,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yes, do tell. Strangest thing I've ever heard in relation to the village of Huntington.
I agree.

Huntington Station maybe but the Village?????

No way.

Crooks

Old 02-22-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When they knocked that place down my nephew said to my sister

"mom, what happened here?!" and my sister said "they paved paradise, and put up a parking lot".

That was a sad day when they got rid of my old stomping grounds!

Best Brunch on LI too.

LOVED it.

Crooks

Old 02-22-2010, 11:31 PM

325 posts, read 349,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I really don't know why. Just didn't feel comfortable walking around. Having grown up in some less than genteel neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Im not one of those long islanders that wet their pants when they leave the safety of their own town but something about Huntington didn't make me feel at ease.
Maybe it's colonial era ghosts that are scaring you? Huntington had it quite rough during the Revolutionary War: http://town.huntington.ny.us/permit_pics/215.pdf

Seriously though, there's no reason to feel ill-at-ease there. It's a very safe and very well patrolled area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Best Brunch on LI too.

LOVED it.

Crooks
Well I'm glad we agree on something. R&T was a great place and is sorely missed. The loss of IMAC was also a big hit.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Maybe it's colonial era ghosts that are scaring you? Huntington had it quite rough during the Revolutionary War: http://town.huntington.ny.us/permit_pics/215.pdf

Seriously though, there's no reason to feel ill-at-ease there. It's a very safe and very well patrolled area.

Well I'm glad we agree on something. R&T was a great place and is sorely missed. The loss of IMAC was also a big hit.

Indeed we do...I LOVED R&T

Old 02-23-2010, 08:05 AM

448 posts, read 809,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post

I'm not familiar with Sayville,but yes, Babylon, Northport, and Port Jeff all have very nice (but considerably smaller) downtown areas. Still there just isn't a comparison. It's apples and oranges. There just isn't another place on LI with over 100 restaurants, bars, art galleries, shops, cinema, etc...all within walking distance. The idea of "nostalgic" locals" is even more absurd considering many of the world class gourmet restaurants opened in the last decade or so.

Northport also has great restaurants (Maroni is a personal favorite), but there are only 3, 4, maybe 5. Likewise, I've had lovely dinners at The Fifth Season in PJ, but it's one of, what, 15 maybe 20 restaurants in the village? I don't mean to be disparaging, I just don't see the competition (or exactly understand why there needs to be a competition).

You went on to imply that the Huntington's schools were so unbearable that a family could never put down roots there. I found this to increadibly misleading in a thread advising an out-of-towner.

Huntington is bustling.
PJ, Oyster Bay, Northport are sleepy and 'charming'.

It depends on what you are looking for.

I don't understand why every time someone recommends Huntington, it is slammed along with school district in favor of 3V. At this point if I was from out of the area, I would think the streets are paved with gold in PJ and 3V from some of these threads.

I have lived in Huntington for years and have never felt unsafe anywhere in town. Hunt. Station I am definitely more aware of who is around me and avoid certain areas..

Old 02-23-2010, 10:22 AM

2,846 posts, read 6,223,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyTrees View Post

Huntington is bustling.
PJ, Oyster Bay, Northport are sleepy and 'charming'.

It depends on what you are looking for.

I don't understand why every time someone recommends Huntington, it is slammed along with school district in favor of 3V. At this point if I was from out of the area, I would think the streets are paved with gold in PJ and 3V from some of these threads.

I have lived in Huntington for years and have never felt unsafe anywhere in town. Hunt. Station I am definitely more aware of who is around me and avoid certain areas..
That's because Crookhaven replies to all these threads, no one else is actually saying that LOL....and aside from PJ or 3V schools, I think Huntington SD compares very favorably to most districts that far out on the island.

Port Jefferson isn't exactly sleepy either, but it always seems like a touristy, yuppie crowd when it does get busy. Huntington is a much better mix, IMO. You get people from all over the island, but they've been hanging out there for years and aren't concerned with shopping for trinkets like fancy candles and wood carvings of 18th century ships.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That's because Crookhaven replies to all these threads, no one else is actually saying that LOL....and aside from PJ or 3V schools, I think Huntington SD compares very favorably to most districts that far out on the island.

Port Jefferson isn't exactly sleepy either, but it always seems like a touristy, yuppie crowd when it does get busy. Huntington is a much better mix, IMO. You get people from all over the island, but they've been hanging out there for years and aren't concerned with shopping for trinkets like fancy candles and wood carvings of 18th century ships.

Hmmm.

Maybe?

Anyone I knew in Huntington with any $ sent their kids to private school.
Anyone I knew in PJ sent their kids to the Coutnry Club.The schools are amazing.

Crooks

Old 02-23-2010, 11:31 AM

9,067 posts, read 10,448,943 times
When we were looking there, DH and I knew we'd do Catholic school....it's not that I think the schools are that horrible (I went to them and I actually figured out how to post on CD!) but that the district is constantly changing who goes to which school. I never moved, but I went to 3 different elementary schools. It was not horrible, I really didn't care...all my friends got moved too...but if you are spending a million dollars to live in Huntington Bay, and you think your kid is going to go to Flower Hill School nearby, it's a bit of a rude shock to find out they are going to Huntington Elementary (now Jack Abrams Elementary, he was my principal back in the day!) in the 'hood. And I do mean, the 'HOOD. It can also be a pretty long bus ride out of Huntington Bay or deep in the West Neck area to - say Jefferson or Washington. Just our thoughts way back when.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,699 times
Huntington or Northport village seems like the place for you. High taxes....well yes but Long Island is one of the best places to live. It is a short drive to Boston, Phily, DC and of course NY. We are surrounded by beaches and a short drive if you are a skier. I am a real estate broker with Prudential and I have heard that CSH lab has a lot of transient people and they may be able to help you find an apartment without a fee. Also look on Craig’s List. Good luck and welcome to LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island