Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 12:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I Love LI wrote:

(Although I, like many others, voted for someone with the initials B.O.

Don't you feel like a silly little girl now.
I feel like I've been duped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:08 PM

325 posts, read 737,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed.

Or pony up for Friends academy.

No one is saying Huntington sucks... its nice, its just not the only game in town anymore.
In fact I think Babylon, Northport and Sayville also give her a run for the money.

Port Jeff and Three Village are fairly amazing with everything you described (except 60 min from NYC)and more.OP metioned Jefferson Point.I assume Port Jeff was on her short list.Great pick with blue ribbon schools, a country club and low taxes.

Go see.

Crooks
Actually, I found this quote to be a pretty strong condemnation of Huntington and quite condescending to its residents:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im sorry your little world is so small.
The only people singing the Huntington song these days are the overly nostagic locals who think their town has has no competition.

3V and Port Jeff completely speak for themselves.

Crooks
I could link to dozens of restaurant and event reviews in The New York Times (and many other publications) that sing Huntington's "tune."The people who flood into the village from all over LI (and CT during boating season) will likely sing along.

I'm not familiar with Sayville,but yes, Babylon, Northport, and Port Jeff all have very nice (but considerably smaller) downtown areas. Still there just isn't a comparison. It's apples and oranges. There just isn't another place on LI with over 100 restaurants, bars, art galleries, shops, cinema, etc...all within walking distance. The idea of "nostalgic" locals" is even more absurd considering many of the world class gourmet restaurants opened in the last decade or so.

Northport also has great restaurants (Maroni is a personal favorite), but there are only 3, 4, maybe 5. Likewise, I've had lovely dinners at The Fifth Season in PJ, but it's one of, what, 15 maybe 20 restaurants in the village? I don't mean to be disparaging, I just don't see the competition (or exactly understand why there needs to be a competition).

You went on to imply that the Huntington's schools were so unbearable that a family could never put down roots there. I found this to increadibly misleading in a thread advising an out-of-towner.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:10 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
I always get the hebbie gebbies walking around huntington...good restaurants or not.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:11 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You and I are talking about two different aspects of the problems with illegal immigration.

You are upset about racial profiling resulting in violence against latinos "just in case" they might be illegal aliens. I agree there should be no violence against anyone for this!
Not really, I'm embarrassed that there is violence against anyone on Long Island because of their race, because this is not something that is supposed to happen in civilized parts of the world. I'm also embarrassed that one of the major contributing factors to these attacks has been the extreme level of negativity towards, and dehumanization of, people who are illegal immigrants by Long Islanders as a whole.

Quote:
It it was all about race/ethnicity, then I was wondering why a hispanic kid would be involved. Are you sure they would have passed up the chance to attack a hapless drunk white guy or a black homeless guy if an equally easy non-hispanic mark came their way if they just didn't come across a hispanic they could attack? I'm not. I think they are predators first, racists second.
Look back through the newspaper articles. In the indictment, there were something like 20 different attacks on people (that these kids admitted to), specifically because they were Hispanic, over the better part of a year. This wasn't an isolated incident, it's something they got together and did every weekend....and the target was HISPANICS. Not homeless people, not drunks, just Hispanics. The fact that one of the kids involved was Hispanic himself doesn't change that somehow, that's ridiculous. I'm sure there was some understanding among these friends like "Oh yeah, Jose might be Hispanic but he ain't no fence jumpin' beaner" like I've heard idiots try to claim there is a difference between "nggrs" and black people, and they only call "the bad" black people "nggrs". You know you've heard that same moronic statement too, everyone who is white has.....at least on LI.

Quote:
It just seems like you don't think they should be held to the same standards of decency and accountability as everyone else in the USA.
How do you get that? Because I don't go crazy and get upset about them being here? They should, very obviously, be held to the same standards and laws as everyone else. If an illegal immigrant gets deported I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, they did break the law after all....but I'm a realist and there is also no way anywhere close to even a fraction of them will get deported, just like not everyone who speeds gets a ticket.

Quote:
Yes. That is obvious. So why are you such a big advocate of them being here, acting like it is "no problem and no big deal?" What good are they doing any of us coming here and replicating third-world slums? What if every third-world person dissastified with where s/he is now moved to America TOMORROW illegally and repeating the same old negative behaviors from back home and inflicting them on everyone else in America? How do you think that would affect our country? Would you be okay with that? We have to take a stand somewhere is what I am trying to say.
I hate myself for even answering this.....You're trying to make it sound like I'm some big advocate for illegal immigrants' rights, and I'm not at all. I'm 100% indifferent on the subject of illegal immigration. It happens and it's not gonna stop, plus it doesn't effect me or anyone I care about in any way whatsoever. On top of that, immigrants have been coming to America for 300+ years. When most of our ancestors came here, the laws were incredibly lax and all you had to do was sign some paperwork at Ellis Island and not be oozing with pus or coughing up blood. Some of those people were poor, dirty and involved DEEPLY in organized crime too....yet as the generations passed they assimilated, planted roots, their kids became middle class and so on and so forth. Some of them didn't care for America, some just wanted to work and make some money. My great grandfather (not a legal immigrant) made some money, spit on this country and went back to Ireland. His kids, who weren't legal immigrants either, stayed behind, fought in WWII, had their "anchor babies" and lived productive, middle class lives. That's the same thing that is gonna happen here, get back to me in 50 years on this one too and we'll see if I was right.

No more talk about illegal immigration. I said before I was done talking about it and I should have stuck to that. I feel awful about ruining this poor woman's thread.

Quote:
Actually, our current president is Goldman Sachs. (Although I, like many others, voted for someone with the initials B.O., G.S. is actually in the saddle.) If this will make money for G.S., then I can see it happening.
I like that guy, but I did not vote for him!

Quote:
There are racial tensions, but it is caused by the behavior of the illegal immigrants, not "just because Americans hate and disrespect hispanics."
I'm gonna have to not agree with that. Somewhere in your post you mentioned that where you live (Valley Stream) there are plenty of Latino families who are middle class, respectable, etc.....if everyone viewed them the same way you do, then how come there are so many people who say Valley Stream is a crime ridden dump infested with illegal immigrants and other minorities? I don't think that at all, but check any thread on here.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:20 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
Actually, I found this quote to be a pretty strong condemnation of Huntington and quite condescending to its residents:

I could link to dozens of restaurant and event reviews in The New York Times (and many other publications) that sing Huntington's "tune."The people who flood into the village from all over LI (and CT during boating season) will likely sing along.

I'm not familiar with Sayville,but yes, Babylon, Northport, and Port Jeff all have very nice (but considerably smaller) downtown areas. Still there just isn't a comparison. It's apples and oranges. There just isn't another place on LI with over 100 restaurants, bars, art galleries, shops, cinema, etc...all within walking distance. The idea of "nostalgic" locals" is even more absurd considering many of the world class gourmet restaurants opened in the last decade or so.

Northport also has great restaurants (Maroni is a personal favorite), but there are only 3, 4, maybe 5. Likewise, I've had lovely dinners at The Fifth Season in PJ, but it's one of, what, 15 maybe 20 restaurants in the village? I don't mean to be disparaging, I just don't see the competition (or exactly understand why there needs to be a competition).

You went on to imply that the Huntington's schools were so unbearable that a family could never put down roots there. I found this to increadibly misleading in a thread advising an out-of-towner.

If you say so....I dont want to argue with you.

Some folks see smaller downtown's as charming (and with less drama).

I've always found find the geocentricity of Huntington Townies to be very naive and narrow.
Huntington is a great town among great towns.

Theres a great big wonderful Island waiting beyond NY Ave.

I dont have a dog in this fight but I do encourage locals to get out of town more.Check out Mirabelle, Amarelle or La Plage sometime.

Long Island Dining - Best of 2009 - Some Fine Restaurants Forced to Close, but Others Survive - Review - NYTimes.com
(No mention of Huntington among the new stuff....not to say that there isnt great dining there.)

Personally I think the big H jumped the shark when it lost IMAC and the Rose and Thistle.
; (

Doesnt mean it sucks.
Still a great drinkin' town!

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 02-22-2010 at 03:36 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 05:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Not really, I'm embarrassed that there is violence against anyone on Long Island because of their race, because this is not something that is supposed to happen in civilized parts of the world. I'm also embarrassed that one of the major contributing factors to these attacks has been the extreme level of negativity towards, and dehumanization of, people who are illegal immigrants by Long Islanders as a whole.
Actually, I don't think most Long Islanders are vehemently against illegal immigrants. I think many of them have the same idea as you ("it's not gonna stop, plus it doesn't effect me or anyone I care about in any way whatsoever").

Quote:
Look back through the newspaper articles. In the indictment, there were something like 20 different attacks on people (that these kids admitted to), specifically because they were Hispanic, over the better part of a year. This wasn't an isolated incident, it's something they got together and did every weekend....and the target was HISPANICS. Not homeless people, not drunks, just Hispanics. The fact that one of the kids involved was Hispanic himself doesn't change that somehow, that's ridiculous. I'm sure there was some understanding among these friends like "Oh yeah, Jose might be Hispanic but he ain't no fence jumpin' beaner" like I've heard idiots try to claim there is a difference between "nggrs" and black people, and they only call "the bad" black people "nggrs". You know you've heard that same moronic statement too, everyone who is white has.....at least on LI.
I don't have time to go through it, so I will take your word for it. Good point; perhaps the other kids considered their hispanic cohort to be "different and better" than the hispanics they were attacking. Yet it is still puzzling to me why the kid himself did that. Armchair psychologists might say he was a "self-hating" hispanic blah blah blah. Who knows.

Quote:
How do you get that? Because I don't go crazy and get upset about them being here? They should, very obviously, be held to the same standards and laws as everyone else. If an illegal immigrant gets deported I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it, they did break the law after all....but I'm a realist and there is also no way anywhere close to even a fraction of them will get deported, just like not everyone who speeds gets a ticket.
I don't think most will get deported either, nor do I "wish" for that. Perhaps many will get "forgiven" and made legal. My problem is the way too many of them live.

Quote:
I hate myself for even answering this.....You're trying to make it sound like I'm some big advocate for illegal immigrants' rights, and I'm not at all. I'm 100% indifferent on the subject of illegal immigration. It happens and it's not gonna stop, plus it doesn't effect me or anyone I care about in any way whatsoever. On top of that, immigrants have been coming to America for 300+ years. When most of our ancestors came here, the laws were incredibly lax and all you had to do was sign some paperwork at Ellis Island and not be oozing with pus or coughing up blood. Some of those people were poor, dirty and involved DEEPLY in organized crime too....yet as the generations passed they assimilated, planted roots, their kids became middle class and so on and so forth. Some of them didn't care for America, some just wanted to work and make some money. My great grandfather (not a legal immigrant) made some money, spit on this country and went back to Ireland. His kids, who weren't legal immigrants either, stayed behind, fought in WWII, had their "anchor babies" and lived productive, middle class lives. That's the same thing that is gonna happen here, get back to me in 50 years on this one too and we'll see if I was right.
You are absolutely right that back in the day we did not get the "cream of the crop" either. I just think they had a different attitude in that most did not sneak into this country unwanted and uninvited, most were planning to stay (instead of make the money and run), most strived to learn the language, and the vast majority had some middle class aspirations instead of being "gang bangers" all their lives from childhood to old age.

In 50 years, sure it will be "different." Remember back in the day when there were signs "No Irish Need Apply!" Now the Irish fit right in. Future generations of Latinos will too. I see it already in 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. generations here now. No accents. No low class behavior.

What ticks me off is dealing with the maelstrom of crime, gang banging, etc., going on now. We don't need it.

Quote:
No more talk about illegal immigration. I said before I was done talking about it and I should have stuck to that. I feel awful about ruining this poor woman's thread.
Don't worry, she's okay.

Quote:
I'm gonna have to not agree with that. Somewhere in your post you mentioned that where you live (Valley Stream) there are plenty of Latino families who are middle class, respectable, etc.....if everyone viewed them the same way you do, then how come there are so many people who say Valley Stream is a crime ridden dump infested with illegal immigrants and other minorities? I don't think that at all, but check any thread on here.
What??? Is this the same seanx4 I know? Haven't we been on enough VS threads together? I see I have to refresh your memory or correct you if you are "overreaching" in your zeal to give me a tongue lashing. People complain about VS because they associate any crime in Green Acres Mall as being an indictment of Valley Stream residents. If the mall is in VS and trouble arises there, it must be because of those d***ned VS residents. People never discuss or malign the hispanic (or asian, etc.) residents of VS ... who they ARE maligning is the black residents ("from Queens") as "criminals or potential criminals."

Nobody ever talks about VS having an illegal immigrant problem because we don't have that particular problem. (Yeah, "check any thread on here.") The school districts are extremely careful when registering children who purport to be VS residents and make them prove who they are. The Village keeps a close eye on illegal apartments, overcrowding, landlords DO NOT get away with murder here, the Village enforces strict parking regulations and restrictions, and does not allow people to stand around and loiter looking for work (besides being served by the 5th Precinct of Nassau, we also have our own Code Enforcement, Public Safety, Auxilliary Police and Civilian Patrol out on the road every night and day, including holidays).

The illegal aliens get the message that they cannot just do any old thing they want to around here. If we have some living here (and, to be realistic, we probably do), they are certainly low key and not causing any problems for the residents of VS.

Maybe if other municipalities cracked down and took a page out of VS's book, they would not have problems with illegal aliens either.

Old 02-22-2010, 06:48 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
Quote:
What??? Is this the same seanx4 I know? Haven't we been on enough VS threads together? I see I have to refresh your memory or correct you if you are "overreaching" in your zeal to give me a tongue lashing. People complain about VS because they associate any crime in Green Acres Mall as being an indictment of Valley Stream residents. If the mall is in VS and trouble arises there, it must be because of those d***ned VS residents. People never discuss or malign the hispanic (or asian, etc.) residents of VS ... who they ARE maligning is the black residents ("from Queens") as "criminals or potential criminals."

Nobody ever talks about VS having an illegal immigrant problem because we don't have that particular problem. (Yeah, "check any thread on here.") The school districts are extremely careful when registering children who purport to be VS residents and make them prove who they are. The Village keeps a close eye on illegal apartments, overcrowding, landlords DO NOT get away with murder here, the Village enforces strict parking regulations and restrictions, and does not allow people to stand around and loiter looking for work (besides being served by the 5th Precinct of Nassau, we also have our own Code Enforcement, Public Safety, Auxilliary Police and Civilian Patrol out on the road every night and day, including holidays).

The illegal aliens get the message that they cannot just do any old thing they want to around here. If we have some living here (and, to be realistic, we probably do), they are certainly low key and not causing any problems for the residents of VS.

Maybe if other municipalities cracked down and took a page out of VS's book, they would not have problems with illegal aliens either.
Dammit I meant to write "Hispanics and other minorities"....see what's happening here? Now I'M looking at them all the same! LOL

I don't really ever recall an illegal immigrant bitchfest aimed at Valley Stream. Not what I meant, but my stupid bad anyway....just wanna back you up on that and make it 100% clear.

But you do mention the point I was trying to make - certainly you don't think blacks and Hispanics, who are middle class, average working stiffs like everyone else, moving into the neighborhood have caused VS to go to hell in a handbasket. Neither do I, and there's a mountain of evidence, aside from common sense, to support it. So why do so many people insist the opposite? Not only outsiders, but disgruntled current and former residents? That seems a lot like racial tension to me....

Old 02-22-2010, 07:07 PM

13 posts, read 29,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I always get the hebbie gebbies walking around huntington...good restaurants or not.
Really? Why? Do tell...

Old 02-22-2010, 07:23 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
I really don't know why. Just didn't feel comfortable walking around. Having grown up in some less than genteel neighborhoods in Brooklyn, Im not one of those long islanders that wet their pants when they leave the safety of their own town but something about Huntington didn't make me feel at ease.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:25 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggybeach View Post
Really? Why? Do tell...
Yes, do tell. Strangest thing I've ever heard in relation to the village of Huntington.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island