Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:42 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,751,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
How many other thousand LI neighborhoods have a bar down the road?

DO YOU HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST GIVING OUR BRAVE VETERANS SOMEPLACE TO LIVE??

Longwood SD has been given a stamp of approval by the emost educated, awesome, openminded (Tee hee) CD member in history. You know, the one from Rocky point. Longwood has been deemed "Acceptable" by the CD membership in general, so it's a moot point.

Is it possible you are taking offense to some random internet dude that is happy to be living in the neighborhood he is? I can't see another reason for you to post what you did, other than to be argumentative.

It's not considered one of the "best" school district on Long Island.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 03:54 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,751,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
BTW...how is that "bar" or "restaurant"? Is it a dive bar? a decent pub? Always wondered if it was any good. Not that I would ever want to get drunk on that road and drive up there in the Village of Patchogue to the Town of Rocky Point.

I was told they make good German food there. WBLI and other LI radio stations host parties there. I always enjoy seeing men and boys fishing in the lake next to it. It makes the area look quaint. Don't go to that deli across the street, it's disgusting.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:01 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,762,857 times
The bar is good. I have eaten there many times and the food is pretty good ; not your normal pub grub at all.
Its nice at night in the summer, they play music outside and you can eat outside.

German Gardens is a quiet place. Its rambling but nice and quiet.
We cannot always keep grudges against people. I am irish and dont have a grudge against the english people at all.

Life is too short ; we all know that.

By the way ; I live around the corner from this area ; trees behind my yard are Yaphank and I have always liked yaphank as it is quaint.

Old 10-25-2010, 04:22 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,587,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
In all fairness, I believe I invented the current trend of ribbing Crooks about RP. Prior to me, that guy was free to spout his biased opinion at will.
You are taking what was a simple post and twitsing it so it fits your argument. We are picking people apart word by word now, huh?
He offered a first hand opinion of his neighborhood and you jumped on him for it.
Frankly, I would rather get a fist hand opinion than the opinion of someone who drives through as part of their commute (Especially if I came here blindly looking for info). And lets talk about that garbage for a moment. Have you even thought about what has become universal truths here at CD? Are you really interested in spreading facts?
Fact is, MOST of the "Info" here is false.
Credit due: you started the Crooks ribbing. It's been going on for a while now, hard to recall who started it.

You accused me of what you perceived to be attacking. Is it because I flung a little Deutsch around? Because I questioned the school district (not the first one to do so, see Crooks' post #20) or because I mentioned the Vets shelter (to which Gpsma applied the adjective 'seedy'?) Or is it because I mentioned a local tavern (been there, had a couple of beers in my time)?

So if you accuse me of attacking, and then go on the attack, does that make it right?

If I call someone on Yaphank, as you've done on Rocky Point -- does that make it wrong?

Driving by an eyesore (in this case the Vets hotel which the landlord is responsible for) on a daily basis does not make it any less of an eyesore simply because a person does not live in that community. Anyone recall the vacant building which sat for year on the North Service Road of Sunrise Hwy (Patchogue, I believe) which had bore the graffittied words "NUKE THIS EYESORE"? I never lived in Patchogue, but agreed with the graffiti artist to the extent that it was, in fact, an eyesore. Some folks might not take issue with what others consider an eyesore. If they can live with it, near it -- more power to them. The building itself does not give people a positive first impression upon entering the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla
Yapahank is an odd place but the dividing lines are clearly defined. There have been many attempts throughout the years to turn Yaphank into a dumping zone for all kinds of ilk, from toxic chemicals to "Undesirables" (This is CD, thus i'm sure we all know how to define this word).
Residential land is residential, commercial land is commercial.

German Gardens is in a residential area and it isn't all that bad. Expect the bar around the corner to close down only to be opened up again 6 months later. The motel has been reserved for veterans for quite some time. There are several halfway houses in the area.
The above post is #27 to which credit due is yours. You mentioned the shelter before I ever did (my first post re shelter is #28) and the bar around the corner prior to me. If anything, my post #28 was straightforward; perhaps the fact that I was so, and used German, didn't sit well with you. Perhaps the fact that I unknowningly reiterated part of what you wrote didn't sit well with you.

Thanks to you I now know that there are halfway houses there (never knew that before)and probably so does the OP.

That is unless, as you've written, "Most of the "info" here is false."

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 10-25-2010 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,910 times
We did live in Yaphank a few years back. We really enjoyed the area.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:21 AM

909 posts, read 1,829,866 times
My wife's great grandfather was part of the original settlers and built all of those homes. I saw many pictures and all the streets were Nazi names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island