U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2010, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,845 times

Advertisements

What is the numbered street section of West Babylon like...south of the Southern State Parkway...the elementary school is Santapogue...looking for opinions on what the schools are like, what the area is like, if the neighborhood is quiet, safe, good place to raise a family, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 10:39 AM

10 posts, read 30,264 times
I lived there since 07, but in the forest ave district. I like it alot, working class however you do get the Mc Mansion next to the 2 bedroom ranch alot. Having grown up in Valley Stream and lived in Oceanside for awhile I like everything about it except the proximity to the city. Its a 1 1/2 to Manhattan by train.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:15 PM

8,993 posts, read 18,125,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyeahbro View Post
I lived there since 07, but in the forest ave district. I like it alot, working class however you do get the Mc Mansion next to the 2 bedroom ranch alot. Having grown up in Valley Stream and lived in Oceanside for awhile I like everything about it except the proximity to the city. Its a 1 1/2 to Manhattan by train.

It's about an hour to Penn Station; the extra half MAY come into play if you need a bus or subway (or walk) to a location not in the immediate vicinity...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 30,264 times
NO WAY is it only an hour train ride from Babylon to Penn Station look at the schedule. The express train is 1 hr 10 mins and there are only a few of those.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:27 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,840,465 times
Quote:
NO WAY is it only an hour train ride from Babylon to Penn Station look at the schedule. The express train is 1 hr 10 mins and there are only a few of those.
Yeah, ya know what? The last few times I checked the LIRR timetable for Babylon the express has been listed as ~70 minutes. Didn't there used to be a faster train? One that got to Penn in under an hour??

Besides that, the "hour" figure is from the second you step on the train at the Babylon/Lindenhurst/Wyandanch LIRR Station (depending on where you live in West Babylon, one of those will be the closest) to the second you step off the platform at Penn Station. The whole trip, in all likelihood, will always take 90 minutes (at least) no matter where you're going.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:39 PM

307 posts, read 320,207 times
I grew up in the area in question. As far as I can tell the area hasn't changed much. Though my mother says she's seen a few houses with illegal apartments, A few minority families have moved in, though they appear to be honest working people that don't wanttheir kids in the ghetto.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:05 AM

532 posts, read 1,053,787 times
Quote:
The experess train from Babylon to Penn run from 53 minutes to about an hour 10. The Speonk/Montauk train in the morning is a 53 minute express to Penn. During peak there's a train coming or going from Penn about every 15 minutes that will get you where you need to be in an hour and change. Miss one train, there will be another along shortly.

To the OP, the number streets are a solid buy. My daughter has several friends in that area, solid families, solid neighborhood. No price premium for cache, which would suit me just fine if I were house shopping.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:15 AM

163 posts, read 312,853 times
It's a great area. I used to live in the area and I had wonderful neighbors
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or