Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2010, 03:24 PM

280 posts, read 603,509 times

Advertisements

Just curious about a few little 350-450K houses that are for sale in the quiet historical Stony Brook area. They are small, 2 or 3 Br, built in the 1940s. I was surprised to see that such quiant area had any houses available in this price range. I drove by one today, and did not notice any red flags so far...

Could anyone share any info they have about this area, schools, commute to NYC, and the taxes? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,165,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Just curious about a few little 350-450K houses that are for sale in the quiet historical Stony Brook area. They are small, 2 or 3 Br, built in the 1940s. I was surprised to see that such quiant area had any houses available in this price range. I drove by one today, and did not notice any red flags so far...

Could anyone share any info they have about this area, schools, commute to NYC, and the taxes? Thanks!
Great town.
THAT'S A FANTASTIC AREA.
Watch out... main roads can be busy.

Amazing Schools.

Rich Culture.

Taxes are reasonable on older stock.

1:45 to NYC from SB.
1;30 from Smithtown
1;10 from Ronko.

Ask OBH shes the resident expert.

Crooks

Old 02-22-2010, 06:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Thank you for the compliment, Crooks.

ResearchMom,

If you have children you do NOT want to live on Christian or Main St if you can avoid it.

I checked a few of the mls:

2233397 -- on Christian, across the street from a new McMansion, and I believe another McM is a house or two down from it. Cute house but a bad spot in the road as it 1) curves and 2) has a grade. (Think driveway issues) No sidewalk at this point. Setauket School, Gelinas JrHS

2200904 is on Erland (north of Christian, just east of Cedar St. Small house but great location. The sidewalk from the Village extends to Erland, making it very pedestrian friendly. There is also a sidewalk on Cedar, so if you wished to walk to the LIRR or SUNY, you wouldn't have to navigate the street. I know several people on Erland and Wylie -- it's a great street which dead ends up at the water, great mix of homes. Schools are Setauket elementary, Gelinas Jr HS.

2262762 -- investment property - yes. To live in with children - HECK NO! It's on 25A, no sidewalks, train is right there, dorms across the road. No, No, No.

2261532 -- $499K corner of Christian and Shore Oaks. Completely redone with poor choice of layout. The master bedroom is the bump out facing Christian, and with the doorway, it looks like the front door. It's right near the church, which means parking in front of your house whenever there's special events like the Strawberry Festival. The bulk of the property is on the street side, with a small patio area behind the house.

In general, the not quite so old older homes in the area are on small to middling sized lots and have reasonable taxes. ($5K - $9K, depending on the house, improvements, etc.)

You might want to look into the side streets off of Christian and Cedar for some cute homes and bargains without dealing with heavily traveled roads. Christian looks peaceful during the day, but it gets nuts after 4-430 as people in Stony Brook and Setauket use it as a means of avoiding the traffic lights on 25A.

There's a small, cute house close to me which I feel is grossly overpriced for the lack of yard (non existent) and the small house. The owner paid too high and is trying to avoid taking a loss. Not going to happen.

I love the area; hubby grew up in Stony Brook and I came to know the area as a SUNY student years ago. There are always folks out walking (with or without children and dogs) and bicycling, people will smile and say hello. You have the beach at Sand St, the yacht club, the Mill Pond, Avalon all within walking distance. It's not user friendly for small children to bike to friends homes, but older children do bicycle about, as do people going back and forth to SUNY (students as well as faculty).

People respect other people's property, and tend to their homes. There's a sense of pride in the historic district and transition zone, as well as a sense of community. The folks on Erland have a book club, and there are a few of them who participate in outdoor sports together as well. Over in the Gardens, there are a number of young children and a number of us get together for family activities. One favorite is attending Sea Wolf basketball games, Trick or Treating with a gang of kids (35 last year), impromptu picnics at West Meadow and family sunsets.

It's not Norman Rockwell nor American Gothic, but it is as small town as you could ask for living in the shadows of NYC.

Please feel free to DM me with any questions about streets/homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island