Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 02:14 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,340,730 times

Advertisements

You have to take into account where the house sits on the property. I was looking at a house that was on a very large lot on mlsli (can't remember the exact acreage). I thought to myself that it would be great to have that size property. Come to find out that most of the property was in the length and the entire width was taken up by the house. So literally from the bedroom you could roll over and watch your neighbor's tv.

Likewise, I found another house on a large lot only to find out it was a corner house (which I don't care for) but took a look anyway. Most of the yard was in the front and very little in the back. I'd like to have a big backyard so the kid can play, we can have barbecues, and just sit out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 02:29 PM

55 posts, read 180,884 times
We live on a quarter acre with good neighbors but things are a little two close for my liking. For some privacy I planted 27 leyland cypress trees in our backyard. This prepares us in the event our good neighbors are replaced with loud, noisy, or nosy ones.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:05 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parliament View Post
got u beat.. i got about 0.12

Old 06-05-2009, 05:46 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
In Roslyn Harbor we were zoned to 1.5 acres , but most people had more property . You couldn't really hear or see your neighbors.

Now I live in attached townhouse so I really do miss the good old days.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-06-2009, 04:46 PM

638 posts, read 1,281,995 times
Three acres here and I'm a guppy in a fishbowl! Surrounded by suburbia and can hear all the mowing, dogs barking, pool parties, snow blowers, etc. But I guess they all can hear my noise too.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:58 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Quote:
Any LI people here with an acre of property? We are looking at an acre and want to know what your thoughts are of an acre?

Can you hear much of your neighbor's noise or no? Do you constantly hear movers, blowers etc? Do your neighbors with IGPs constantly have pool parties with screaming kids? Or do you find it very peaceful?

I ask this b.c right now we only have 50X100 (small!) and we are looking at acres or half acres but do not know anyone who has that much and want to know what to expect.

Thanks
Oh man this just never ends! ok this is insane...

I have 100 acres upstate.... i can hear noises..... all the time.... noise doesn't hurt you....

If you do not want to hear any of the minor things in everyday life that seem to burden you so much then here is your best alternative....

This is what everyone worried about noise needs....

A #1 must have for the noise conscientious

Vintage Coffins Black Gothic Toe-Pincher (http://www.vintagecoffins.com/BlackGothicToePincher.html - broken link)

That is what you are looking for, just don't realize it yet...

Or you need to move out of NY, definately off long island...

Alaska is your thing....

Old 06-06-2009, 05:08 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
If you do not want to hear any of the minor things in everyday life that seem to burden you so much ..
There's a big difference between normal background noise and recurring "noise pollution" that sets someone's teeth on edge.

Things that I consider "noise pollution" and would want to avoid living within close earshot of:

- Dog(s) that bark every time someone comes within their range of vision (or worse yet, dogs that are left outside for hours on end while their owner is out, and they bark nonstop until they're let back in again)

- Kids who can't manage to play outside without shrieking/screaming/screeching nonstop.

- Gas-powered mowers, edgers, chainsaws, etc etc ad infinitum almost every day (and with the combination of lawn services during the weekdays plus home-mowers on the weekends, yes it is almost every non-rainy day!)

- People who think there's nothing wrong with blasting loud music via outdoor speakers after 11 pm and sorry, I don't care what night of the week it is. Not everyone has to get up and go to work only from Mon-Fri. For that matter, not everyone works from 9am to 5pm either.

YMMV of course but I don't consider any of the above to be "minor things of everyday life". To me and my SO they are/woudl be major annoyances.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:35 PM

999 posts, read 2,357,731 times
Lmao all those things stop, and some of them if you could send a e-mail to the person with the constant barking dog could be fixed, along with the jerk off playing the radio after hours...if you could send a e-mail....god knows the only other interaction with people on long island is thru forums... or calling the town or police...
Noise, like i said the only alternative is Vintage Coffins Black Gothic Toe-Pincher (http://www.vintagecoffins.com/BlackGothicToePincher.html - broken link)

Or alaska..

By the way recurring noise is JFK airport... exactly what i grew up with, my parents and there parents not what you gave examples of.. there is no noise issue out here...people just need to make a issue of something there is not...
Recurring is every 3.5 minutes, in bound, every 4 minutes out bound...24 hours... not a lawn mower here and there during day light hours and the once on occasion idiot that needs to be asked to lower the radio.

Wow how terrible it is, noise the # 1 killer of long islanders

Old 06-06-2009, 06:52 PM

330 posts, read 888,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post
Lmao all those things stop, and some of them if you could send a e-mail to the person with the constant barking dog could be fixed, along with the jerk off playing the radio after hours...if you could send a e-mail....god knows the only other interaction with people on long island is thru forums... or calling the town or police...
Noise, like i said the only alternative is Vintage Coffins Black Gothic Toe-Pincher (http://www.vintagecoffins.com/BlackGothicToePincher.html - broken link)

Or alaska..

By the way recurring noise is JFK airport... exactly what i grew up with, my parents and there parents not what you gave examples of.. there is no noise issue out here...people just need to make a issue of something there is not...
Recurring is every 3.5 minutes, in bound, every 4 minutes out bound...24 hours... not a lawn mower here and there during day light hours and the once on occasion idiot that needs to be asked to lower the radio.

Wow how terrible it is, noise the # 1 killer of long islanders
How are these posts helpful to the OP. People have preferences and different tolerances for noise, no big surprise there, but to chastise those that have these preferences, what is the point.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:56 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
I used to live on Ft. Sill , Oklahoma which is the home of the U.S. Army field artillary for soldiers and Marines and one of the busiest basic training centers in the country. No matter where you were the ground shook and the noise reverberated almost 24 7 from large artillary pieces such as howitzers, M1 Abrams tanks, Apache and cobra helicopters, fighter jets such as A-10's, b-52's, Multiple launch rocket systems (MLRS) etc...

The first days were bad trying to sleep but before you knew it you didn't even notice it anymore. You were reminded of it when people visited and asked what the noise was and I even got to the point where it was as comforting to sleep by just as a sound machine is for some people.

BA-Shoooooom.....thuuuump thuuuump thuuump
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island