Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did you switch to FIOS?
Yes, went to FIOS, love it, won't be going back. 24 61.54%
Yes, went to FIOS, but am going back to CV 5 12.82%
No, stayed with CV, thinking about switching 6 15.38%
No, stayed with CV, not switching EVER 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 10:02 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

The cable sharks have been after me all month, they know my Fios contract is up shortly. I'm sticking with Fios. You don't have to do a song and dance to get the promo price again. Just a phone call.

My father just got the letter from cable about his year being up, thus his rates going through the roof. After a few heated phone calls, it seems he has to go through the whole process of siging up for Fios again and then calling cable with the work order# before they will even entertain givng him the triple play price again. He is sooooooooo pi$$ed off. If it weren't for the fact that he has tenants he would switch to Fios, but it would create such a nightmare to do it. He has great tenants, and the "free" cable is part of the deal, so to be fair and reasonable to the tenants, he has to go through the run around with cable every year now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 02:23 PM

284 posts, read 985,721 times
I signed up early this month and online the price was $84.99 a month and if you called Verizon the price is $89.00 a month for the triple play , so what the saleswoman did was give me a credit of $60 off my first bill . Then we i signed up i was in a rush to pick up my son from school and totally missed the part where she said 2 yr contract so i called to question this and they told me there was nothing they could do about the contract .

But i threaten them that i was gonna cancel my cell phone service with them and they toke off $15 a month for the next 12 months , so now my bill is $110 a month for the next 12 months . Now the good thing about this is that in 12 months i will have the upper hand because my termination fee will be within the range for cable to pick up and win me back or use cable and bluff my way with Verizon to get the same price of $110 a month with Verizon . After being with cable for the past 30 yrs i feel like Verizon has done their homework and won my vote for a better service and very happy i made the switch .

Old 02-24-2010, 03:05 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,346,250 times
wow some people spend a whole lot on their cable/verizon bill....

Old 03-17-2010, 09:22 AM

208 posts, read 913,590 times
Does anyone know if cablevision will still entertain offering their promo price package back to me if I am going to switch to Fios? I signed up for Fios the other day (in a fit of rage during my cable blackout for 2 days), and I am due to be installed next week.

If I call cable and tell them this, will they offer me the triple play price again to stay, or will they just let me go switch, and then contact me AFTER I already have the Fios?

If I can do this, how does one go about this? Call and ask for the retention department and give them the song and dance about really wanting to stay with cablevision, blah, blah, blah???

Old 03-17-2010, 11:39 AM

284 posts, read 985,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
Does anyone know if cablevision will still entertain offering their promo price package back to me if I am going to switch to Fios? I signed up for Fios the other day (in a fit of rage during my cable blackout for 2 days), and I am due to be installed next week.

If I call cable and tell them this, will they offer me the triple play price again to stay, or will they just let me go switch, and then contact me AFTER I already have the Fios?

If I can do this, how does one go about this? Call and ask for the retention department and give them the song and dance about really wanting to stay with cablevision, blah, blah, blah???

In order to get cable's attention you have to tell them that Verizon is taking over and you need to know the process of cancelling CV then start working on prices and plans , once Verizon installs you are locked in for a year before CV will pick up the tab on the early termination fees ($200) actually 11 months so think it out b4 hand .

Old 03-17-2010, 11:47 AM

244 posts, read 540,344 times
There are two people who answered the poll that they are switching back to CV after getting FIOS.

Why? And is it after the contract with FIOS is up?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
In order to get cable's attention you have to tell them that Verizon is taking over and you need to know the process of cancelling CV then start working on prices and plans , once Verizon installs you are locked in for a year before CV will pick up the tab on the early termination fees ($200) actually 11 months so think it out b4 hand .
What is this process you speak of? Wouldn't you just call and tell them you are set to have Fios installed, is there anything you can do for me before this happens, or else I am cancelling CV?

Old 03-17-2010, 12:59 PM

827 posts, read 3,094,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post

Just wondering, why would you want to stay with Cable after the 2 black out days? If you like them so much, then stay with them... Why even bother trying to set up FIOS?

I had my own issues with Cablevision years ago and am so happy I made the switch to FIOS. Much better service...in my opinion.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIgirl74 View Post
Just wondering, why would you want to stay with Cable after the 2 black out days? If you like them so much, then stay with them... Why even bother trying to set up FIOS?

I had my own issues with Cablevision years ago and am so happy I made the switch to FIOS. Much better service...in my opinion.
What would make you think that I like cable so much? I, like a lot of other people am just looking to save some money, and if they decide to offer me a price that I can't refuse, I would be foolish not to take it right?

All I was looking for was from someone who has actually attempted to do this, if there were any pointers they can give as to what to say when I call cablevision to have the best chance at getting a better deal.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM

156 posts, read 449,032 times
My mother just switched over to FIOS, and when she contacted cable they didn't ask her anything about staying. They just told her that her last bill would be in the mail. No offers to try and keep a $200 a month bill that was always paid early. They are not too concerned about keeping people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island