U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM
 
5 posts, read 6,747 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Do you live near a sump? What are the disadvantages of having a sump directly behind your house?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM
 
653 posts, read 1,287,864 times
Reputation: 241
Lack of neighbors on one side of you is an advantage. Crittters is a disadvantage. I would say you would probably find quite a few raccoons and Opposums in there.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM
 
1,885 posts, read 2,505,127 times
Reputation: 926
I lived right near one and when I was growing up that was where we hung out - Built forts, burned things, rode our bikes, went sleigh riding. We had nothing more than squirrels in ours but it wasn't really overgrown. I think it depends on how overgrown it is/becomes and possibly if there is always water in it. It seemed some of them had water year round, mine never did.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
 
Location: under the beautiful Carolina blue
10,319 posts, read 13,428,837 times
Reputation: 6114
My bff has a sump behind her house, it's never been an issue. I do know some people have problems with critters, some of the slimy variety. Maybe check with your potential neighbors.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
 
1,846 posts, read 4,570,619 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My bff has a sump behind her house, it's never been an issue. I do know some people have problems with critters, some of the slimy variety. Maybe check with your potential neighbors.
Do you really think they would be honest? It's their property value too, kwim?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Inis Fada
14,513 posts, read 19,251,208 times
Reputation: 5336
There was a sump around the corner from where I grew up. It was mostly dry, sometimes had about a foot of water. Some winters we would sled in there, and it was especially fun when there was ice on the bottom to carry us further.

Downside: many people walked their dogs over there and the sidewalk and adjacent median were FULL of poop. Summertime was fairly malodorous.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM
 
Location: Wellsville, Glurt County
2,846 posts, read 6,941,402 times
Reputation: 1335
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was a sump around the corner from where I grew up. It was mostly dry, sometimes had about a foot of water. Some winters we would sled in there, and it was especially fun when there was ice on the bottom to carry us further.

Downside: many people walked their dogs over there and the sidewalk and adjacent median were FULL of poop. Summertime was fairly malodorous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I lived right near one and when I was growing up that was where we hung out - Built forts, burned things, rode our bikes, went sleigh riding. We had nothing more than squirrels in ours but it wasn't really overgrown. I think it depends on how overgrown it is/becomes and possibly if there is always water in it. It seemed some of them had water year round, mine never did.
Holy crap did both of you guys grow up in the D-Section with me?? LOL....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM
 
Location: Lawn Guyland New Yawk
371 posts, read 565,409 times
Reputation: 115
Mosquitoes could be a big problem if it constantly has water in it...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM
 
Location: In my house
3,738 posts, read 5,813,686 times
Reputation: 1693
I would totally buy a house on a sump, I've seen some really pretty sumps in Plainview and the surrounding areas.
It would have to bee the right sump though.
I like critters.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Inis Fada
14,513 posts, read 19,251,208 times
Reputation: 5336
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Holy crap did both of you guys grow up in the D-Section with me?? LOL....
Looks like we've had parallel south shore childhoods!
Sumps, SSP...did you go to Kwong Ming and the Cherrywood, too?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads
View detailed profiles of:

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 - Top