U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:53 PM

5 posts, read 5,586 times
Default Questions....regarding sumps

Do you live near a sump? What are the disadvantages of having a sump directly behind your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 06:17 PM

653 posts, read 1,052,653 times
Lack of neighbors on one side of you is an advantage. Crittters is a disadvantage. I would say you would probably find quite a few raccoons and Opposums in there.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 PM

1,783 posts, read 1,978,870 times
I lived right near one and when I was growing up that was where we hung out - Built forts, burned things, rode our bikes, went sleigh riding. We had nothing more than squirrels in ours but it wasn't really overgrown. I think it depends on how overgrown it is/becomes and possibly if there is always water in it. It seemed some of them had water year round, mine never did.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:00 PM

8,824 posts, read 9,693,658 times
My bff has a sump behind her house, it's never been an issue. I do know some people have problems with critters, some of the slimy variety. Maybe check with your potential neighbors.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:08 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,951,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
My bff has a sump behind her house, it's never been an issue. I do know some people have problems with critters, some of the slimy variety. Maybe check with your potential neighbors.
Do you really think they would be honest? It's their property value too, kwim?

Old 02-23-2010, 08:31 PM

13,692 posts, read 15,355,524 times
There was a sump around the corner from where I grew up. It was mostly dry, sometimes had about a foot of water. Some winters we would sled in there, and it was especially fun when there was ice on the bottom to carry us further.

Downside: many people walked their dogs over there and the sidewalk and adjacent median were FULL of poop. Summertime was fairly malodorous.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:08 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,036,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There was a sump around the corner from where I grew up. It was mostly dry, sometimes had about a foot of water. Some winters we would sled in there, and it was especially fun when there was ice on the bottom to carry us further.

Downside: many people walked their dogs over there and the sidewalk and adjacent median were FULL of poop. Summertime was fairly malodorous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I lived right near one and when I was growing up that was where we hung out - Built forts, burned things, rode our bikes, went sleigh riding. We had nothing more than squirrels in ours but it wasn't really overgrown. I think it depends on how overgrown it is/becomes and possibly if there is always water in it. It seemed some of them had water year round, mine never did.
Holy crap did both of you guys grow up in the D-Section with me?? LOL....

Old 02-24-2010, 06:09 AM

371 posts, read 479,211 times
Mosquitoes could be a big problem if it constantly has water in it...

Old 02-24-2010, 06:20 AM

3,147 posts, read 4,681,021 times
I would totally buy a house on a sump, I've seen some really pretty sumps in Plainview and the surrounding areas.
It would have to bee the right sump though.
I like critters.

Old 02-24-2010, 06:27 AM

13,692 posts, read 15,355,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Holy crap did both of you guys grow up in the D-Section with me?? LOL....
Looks like we've had parallel south shore childhoods!
Sumps, SSP...did you go to Kwong Ming and the Cherrywood, too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island