Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 09:53 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

I would have to agree that the Glen Cove Schools aren't horrible. North Shore CSD has a better reputation. Glenwood Landing and Glen Head are really nice areas. The commute from Great Neck to Penn is really quick but if you want to avoid a semi-urban environment, you would need to find a house in the areas more north of the village area. You would probably find something in your price range there and Great Neck schools have an excellent reputation. I don't thihk, however, that you will escape obnoxious attitudes on the North Shore. There is plenty of snobbery there, but I couldn't tell you if it is more or less than Momouth County which also has plenty of affluent areas. As for private schools vs. public schools, unless you have religious reasons, there is no need for a private school. Private school facilities are sometimes not as nice as the public schools and they often offer less in terms of after-school actiivities, music programs, sports, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
950k, good schools, and short commute in Nassau? I assume you are Catholic since you mentioned a Catholic private school. There are other options for you out there.

If you don't want to pay for private schools, then I think you are essentially looking at Manhasset, Roslyn, Garden City, or Rockville Center based on your criteria and commute needs.

There is another option. There is a lovely area west of Garden City called Stewart Manor. The homes are vintage and often well kept, and the neighborhoods have a garden-like feel. The schools are ok, but since the taxes are much less, most parents there can easily send their kids to St. Anne's..and then later to Sacred Heart or Chaminade or Kellenberg.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:31 PM
cml

180 posts, read 290,444 times
Seems like Glen Cove is improved as years go on!

Old 06-29-2010, 10:01 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
I'd look in the North Shore School District. Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Glenwood Landing. I commuted for 9 years into Manhattan from the Sea Cliff station. Didn't kill me changing at Jamaica. I worked mid-town, Upper East Side and Wall Street.

I know in Sea Cliff property taxes vary widely depending upon the type of house.... so check in the LI MLS.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:12 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Seems like Glen Cove is improved as years go on!
Are you being sarcastic?

These days Glen Cove is only desirable to someone in a multi-million dollar mansion behind high estate walls who can send their kids to the best private day or boarding schools.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:13 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
I'd look in the North Shore School District. Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Glenwood Landing. I commuted for 9 years into Manhattan from the Sea Cliff station. Didn't kill me changing at Jamaica. I worked mid-town, Upper East Side and Wall Street.

I know in Sea Cliff property taxes vary widely depending upon the type of house.... so check in the LI MLS.
Sea Cliff is beautiful. I have noticed via MLSLI that the taxes have gone up though. Do you still live there?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:44 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
950k, good schools, and short commute in Nassau? I assume you are Catholic since you mentioned a Catholic private school. There are other options for you out there.

If you don't want to pay for private schools, then I think you are essentially looking at Manhasset, Roslyn, Garden City, or Rockville Center based on your criteria and commute needs.

There is another option. There is a lovely area west of Garden City called Stewart Manor. The homes are vintage and often well kept, and the neighborhoods have a garden-like feel. The schools are ok, but since the taxes are much less, most parents there can easily send their kids to St. Anne's..and then later to Sacred Heart or Chaminade or Kellenberg.
Ditto this post.

In Stewart Manor you'd spend no more than $500Ks right now, good safe area, people keep their houses nice, good shopping, St. Anne's is a great parish. You'd have some cash left as well.

Next stop would be Garden City - RVC might be a little too far from northeastern Queens for you but relatively speaking it's still close. You can get a nice house for mid $900K right now in GC. Taxes much higher than SM though.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM

4,676 posts, read 9,992,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sea Cliff is beautiful. I have noticed via MLSLI that the taxes have gone up though. Do you still live there?
I wish we never sold!!!!!! ARGH!!!!!!!! In RI now.. and taxes are way higher than Sea Cliff for comparable properties. Still in contact with the folks who bought our house.. they are paying much less than we do now.

For somebody who is looking to keep tabs on family members in Glen Cove........really the North Shore District is the most convenient. Especially if it will involve running errands, dr's appointments and the like.

Saw some nice houses in Glen Head too. We lived there too.. when I was pre-school age. Dad would walk to the train station. My parents loved the area so much we returned once Dad retired from the military (1965). Not once would they ever consider Glen Cove. Frankly, even the old mansion district in Glen Cove...just doesn't do it for me, though I now live in a similar type area in RI.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:26 AM

1 posts, read 2,967 times
School is what you make of it!! You might be happier with taxes and schools in Sea Cliff, Glen Head, Glenwood landing area...and try carpooling!

Old 07-02-2010, 06:06 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
With that budget you might be able to negotiate a deal on a house in: Muttontown, Brookville, Cold Spring Harbor, Garden City...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island