U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: The Dirty Dale
405 posts, read 642,693 times
Reputation: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by PANIC View Post
Thank you Mr Crooks , i passed it the other night and my wife said it wouldn't be a place to bring a 4 and 6 yr old for dinner after she peeked in the window , i will add it to the list for my wife and i only
Depending on the time (meaning if it's before 8:00PM), I don't think it would be too bad with the kids. They have a bar area downstairs with a few tables, but they also have a dining room upstairs which would be away from the bar crowd.

And do go with Crooks recommendation, the wings have a nice smoky flavor to them. I like the "belt burners", nice and spicy without being all about the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2010, 11:18 AM
 
7,658 posts, read 10,168,881 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
Depending on the time (meaning if it's before 8:00PM), I don't think it would be too bad with the kids. They have a bar area downstairs with a few tables, but they also have a dining room upstairs which would be away from the bar crowd.

And do go with Crooks recommendation, the wings have a nice smoky flavor to them. I like the "belt burners", nice and spicy without being all about the heat.

I cant speak for the new place but RP was VERY kid friendly....free ice cream too

I miss them.

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Deer Park , New York
282 posts, read 521,695 times
Reputation: 64
**Bump**
Anyone have any new ones to add ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
 
274 posts, read 266,856 times
Reputation: 105
Here are some of my favorites:

Buteras, smithtown
Kotobuki, hauppauge
La plage, wading river
Maureen's kitchen, smithtown
Waterzooi, garden city
kitchen a bistro, st. james
marias, nesconset
new chili and curry hicksville
branchinelli hauppauge
grimaldis garden city
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2011, 08:46 PM
 
418 posts, read 391,912 times
Reputation: 203
Tiger Lilly Cafe, Port Jeff (great for brunch: eclectic/alternative/vegetarian soups, sandwiches)
Ichi Sushi, E. Setauket (Japanese, small place, authentic)
Kotobuki, Hauppauge (Japanese, authentic)
Curry Club, E. Setauket (good deal for decent Indian food)
Pasta, Pasta, Port Jeff (reliable, good Italian)
Mirabelle Tavern, Stony Brook (American, can be pricey but worth it – quality food)
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson (American, quality food, pricey)
Pita House, E. Setauket (good Turkish/Mediterranean place, but location may be hurting them – too hidden – behind Stop & Shop)


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 05:58 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
10,994 posts, read 6,891,348 times
Reputation: 8551
Tellers chop house, verace, vespa (great neck), molly malones, Irish coffee pub, Beach tree cafe in East Islip (same owners as tellers, prime, verace and H20 seafood grill) that place would be more kid friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
10,994 posts, read 6,891,348 times
Reputation: 8551
Rothman's steak house, Declan quinn in bayshore, Lucky duck in Garden city (believe it or not it's an Italian place and very good, I know the owner and some of the wait staff) Agi 53 in bayshore (Japanese fusion and sushi) The pie in Port Jeff, I heard Uncle baccala's is good. It's a new restaurant in GC and I think they opend pone up in smith town. My mom ate there and said it was good, huge portions too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:37 AM
 
274 posts, read 266,856 times
Reputation: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
Tiger Lilly Cafe, Port Jeff (great for brunch: eclectic/alternative/vegetarian soups, sandwiches)
Ichi Sushi, E. Setauket (Japanese, small place, authentic)
Kotobuki, Hauppauge (Japanese, authentic)
Curry Club, E. Setauket (good deal for decent Indian food)
Pasta, Pasta, Port Jeff (reliable, good Italian)
Mirabelle Tavern, Stony Brook (American, can be pricey but worth it quality food)
The Fifth Season, Port Jefferson (American, quality food, pricey)
Pita House, E. Setauket (good Turkish/Mediterranean place, but location may be hurting them too hidden behind Stop & Shop)


I had to comment on this. When were you at curry club? recently? Because they served terrible "indian" food when we were there. When we were there 15 years ago, they were decent, but the last time we went there which was maybe 2 years ago or so, it was horrible and grossly overpriced!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 06:42 AM
 
Location: Islip,NY
10,994 posts, read 6,891,348 times
Reputation: 8551
I will never eat Indian food because I cannot stand the smell of curry. Also snapper inn is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2011, 08:32 AM
 
418 posts, read 391,912 times
Reputation: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminescent View Post
I had to comment on this. When were you at curry club? recently? Because they served terrible "indian" food when we were there. When we were there 15 years ago, they were decent, but the last time we went there which was maybe 2 years ago or so, it was horrible and grossly overpriced!
Last time - I think within the last year.
My impressions may have to do with the fact that 90% of the time I order a particular dish I like - a Southern Indian dish - "Masala Dosa" (very big pancake/crepe-like thing filled with lightly seasoned potatoes, comes with nice lentil soup).
I would recommend that dish, esp. to vegetarians - I think is still in the neighborhood of $10 and is plenty of food; quality of this dish has been the same over the last 10 years. I also like rasmalai for dessert.
Not that familiar with Indian cuisine and cannot comment on other dishes - you may be right.
The lunch buffet is a good deal for those who want the most for their money (I am not a big fan of all-you can eat buffets).

------
Hoshi Sushi (Stony Brook) used to be a place I liked - the boots area, but after some changes - I would not recommend it - food is mediocre, current owners/management are Chinese (not Japanese) and waitresses are sometimes borderline rude.

Used to go occasionally to Thai Gourmet (small place off 347) in Port Jeff Station, specifically for spicy Tom Yum Goong soup. Once I had to use the bathroom and that was my last visit - disgusting/unclean, next to the kitchen.
Phayathai (Lake Ronkonkoma) has a very clean bathroom, but the food is just so-so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top