U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-04-2010, 12:32 AM

2,529 posts, read 4,419,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Here's my two big problems with Section 8:

1) Not easy enough to kick somebody to the curb if they don't pay their portion. If you're paying $150 or $200 or whatever it is a month for a fairly decent apartment, no matter what your situation is, you need to make it happen. They should give them ONE month to miss a payment and have the police there to forcibly evict the tenants the day that money doesn't show the next month. If it was that easy to lose the roof over your head, I think there would be a lot less people stiffing folks like okaydorothy for six months or whatever it is now.

2) Limit the number of Section 8 rentals in one area. In some places, there are entire BUILDINGS with upward of 200 units devoted to Section 8. Places like The Eldorado (100 Terrace Ave) in Hempstead or the buildings near the LIRR tracks in Freeport are essentially glorified housing projects. The last 40+ years of public housing have proven that model doesn't work, and I thought one of the fundamental ideas of Section 8 was to get people out of environments where crime, drug addiction and generational poverty run rampant and more integrated into mainstream society.

So basically, I don't think the core idea is bad....but I think the execution stinks. Uphold the tenants to TIGHTER standards than renters on the open market and don't stick them all on top of each other and it should work like it's supposed to. From what I've heard, in situations where things do run like that it has worked out well for both the tenants and landlords. It's just that too often everything is way lax and the conditions suck. Needs to be more oversight on both ends.....and once that happens, I think a lot of the negative connotations of having a HANDFUL of Section 8 rentals (not 30 every block) in your neighborhood will fade away as well. Everyone wins!
For once I agree with you...
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 05:52 AM

4,217 posts, read 203,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
She sounds like a prize.

If you owned the house next to me and rented it to her, I wouldn't be a happy camper.
Luckily she has no neighbours ; where the house is, she is surrounded by commercial properties.

I think section 8 can be good for the right tenant who respects the property and appreciates what the tax payers are doing for her.

By the way, i was a product of a single mum of 5 kids who worked and didnt sponge off the governement. Now as adults, all 5 of us are hardworking and three are college educated.

This tenant obviously is sponging off the system and will never amount to anything. Hopefully her kids will get ahead in spite of the circumstances.

d

Old 03-04-2010, 10:41 AM

13,829 posts, read 16,216,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Luckily she has no neighbours ; where the house is, she is surrounded by commercial properties.

I think section 8 can be good for the right tenant who respects the property and appreciates what the tax payers are doing for her.

By the way, i was a product of a single mum of 5 kids who worked and didnt sponge off the governement. Now as adults, all 5 of us are hardworking and three are college educated.

This tenant obviously is sponging off the system and will never amount to anything. Hopefully her kids will get ahead in spite of the circumstances.

d
From your lips to God's ears.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 876 times
There are a lot of ignorant people out there such as I_Love_LI_but.Ignorant and bigots.There are a lot of good hard working people out there who have section 8.Just like there is a lot of hard working people who don't get any government assistance and sometimes don't pay their rent on time or just don't pay it.so wake up and stop being ignorant you are taking a chance whether you rent to hard working people who don't need any assistance as well as to the ones who need it.you know about today but not tomorrow ,it could be you.God bless you.

Old 06-05-2010, 12:27 PM

2 posts, read 876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
From your lips to God's ears.
it's people like you that make long island a piece of sh...

Old 06-05-2010, 12:43 PM

280 posts, read 52,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and greatful View Post
it's people like you that make long island a piece of sh...
Not nice

Old 06-05-2010, 04:22 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,641,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble and greatful View Post
There are a lot of ignorant people out there such as I_Love_LI_but.Ignorant and bigots.There are a lot of good hard working people out there who have section 8.Just like there is a lot of hard working people who don't get any government assistance and sometimes don't pay their rent on time or just don't pay it.so wake up and stop being ignorant you are taking a chance whether you rent to hard working people who don't need any assistance as well as to the ones who need it.you know about today but not tomorrow ,it could be you.God bless you.
You have a point in there somewhere about there being hardworking people who can't make their rent and how it can be any one of us at any given time depending on circumstances.

However, I lost it in your very successful attempt to illustrate that trolls can come from both ends of the political spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island