U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2010, 03:33 PM

3 posts, read 14,453 times

Advertisements

The Great Neck North High has dropped in ranking in recent years. Just saw that the ranking has dropped out of 100 in the latest report by U. S. News. I wonder whether anyone has any insight on why? Is the school going down hill fast and furious?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:38 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,767,506 times
That U.S. News list is not comprised solely of public schools.

As "magnet" and "gifted" schools have become more popular all over the country, those types are appearing on the list with more frequency and the list has become increasingly skewed and increasingly meaningless when it comes to judging public schools.

Of course the "magnet" and "gifted" schools will rank "higher" because they DON'T HAVE TO TAKE ANY OLD STUDENT in their district like a public school does. Those schools can pick and choose among the best and the brightest.

I assure you this school is NOT going "downhill fast and furious." If it were in a list that was solely comprised of public schools that HAVE TO TAKE ANYONE instead of full of "specialty" schools that pick and choose, it would be on the list and probably high up there too.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:01 PM

3 posts, read 14,453 times
The Newsweek ranking showed the same thing. America's Top Public High Schools 2008 - Newsweek.com
What puzzles me is that the Great Neck South still stays relatively stable through out the years but north number is mind boggling.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:03 PM
grant516

n/a posts
The rating system changes annualy, and is not exactly the best at gauging the quality of schools.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantic3208 View Post
The Newsweek ranking showed the same thing. America's Top Public High Schools 2008 - Newsweek.com
What puzzles me is that the Great Neck South still stays relatively stable through out the years but north number is mind boggling.
Did you notice the WAY it is ranked?

Quote:
Public schools are ranked according to a ratio devised by Jay Mathews: the number of Advanced Placement, Intl. Baccalaureate and/or Cambridge tests taken by all students at a school in 2007 divided by the number of graduating seniors. All of the schools on the list have an index of at least 1.000; they are in the top 5 percent of public schools measured this way.
So what does that tell you? Only that Jay Mathews thinks a school must be "good" if many students take the AP/Cambridge tests.

It does not take into account how well anyone does on the actual tests, does it?

So if you are an industrious public school principal or administrator and want the publicity of appearing on this "list," it would make sense just to pressure as many kids as possible into taking these tests. Since it does not matter how well the kids actually DO on the tests, nor does the actual grades of any of the kids come into play, they could also sit developmentally disabled, mentally retarded, and just general non-college bound, etc., students as "test takers" to boost their numbers.

Old 03-03-2010, 04:30 PM

The Newsweek list is also showing "Charter," "Talented and Gifted," "Science/Engineering Magnet," "College Prep," etc., specialty schools where, once again, the administration is allowed to stack the deck and pick the top students they want.

Don't you think it is MUCH MORE CHALLENGING, a more IMPRESSIVE ACHIEVEMENT, and hence, the school is working much better, when a plain old, non-magnet, non-specialty public school who CANNOT CHOOSE THEIR STUDENTS BUT MUST TAKE WHOEVER LIVES IN THEIR DISTRICT makes one of these lists? Let's face it, MOST people's kids will not get into these magnet and specialty schools; most people's kids will be in the public school their home is zoned for. These "best" lists do not take that into account at all and that's why I don't take these lists into account and start crying and worrying when MY local regular public high school is not on the list. That's because I already know my regular public high school is probably better than 90% of the regular public high schools in the entire country already.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:34 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,875,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The Newsweek list is also showing "Charter," "Talented and Gifted," "Science/Engineering Magnet," "College Prep," etc., specialty schools where, once again, the administration is allowed to stack the deck and pick the top students they want.

Don't you think it is MUCH MORE CHALLENGING, a more IMPRESSIVE ACHIEVEMENT, and hence, the school is working much better, when a plain old, non-magnet, non-specialty public school who CANNOT CHOOSE THEIR STUDENTS BUT MUST TAKE WHOEVER LIVES IN THEIR DISTRICT makes one of these lists? Let's face it, MOST people's kids will not get into these magnet and specialty schools; most people's kids will be in the public school their home is zoned for. These "best" lists do not take that into account at all and that's why I don't take these lists into account and start crying and worrying when MY local regular public high school is not on the list. That's because I already know my regular public high school is probably better than 90% of the regular public high schools in the entire country already.
Yeah exactly....plus, even at the BEST SCHOOL IN AMERICA, only a portion of the students are taking the AP exams. When you look at any rankings list that factors solely on AP, it's only ranking "the cream of the crop" at each school and not the student body as a whole. That should mean absolutely nothing to anyone.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:10 AM

748 posts, read 2,453,693 times
While you can identify flaws in the newsweek system, the rankings calculated this way is actually pretty close to rankings based on performance. Just an interesting fact here. Suggests there should be correlation. Maybe for the school to offer more AP courses, more students must be interested in them, and if they are interested, they are probably going to do better.

Quote:
Did you notice the WAY it is ranked?

So what does that tell you? Only that Jay Mathews thinks a school must be "good" if many students take the AP/Cambridge tests.

It does not take into account how well anyone does on the actual tests, does it?

So if you are an industrious public school principal or administrator and want the publicity of appearing on this "list," it would make sense just to pressure as many kids as possible into taking these tests. Since it does not matter how well the kids actually DO on the tests, nor does the actual grades of any of the kids come into play, they could also sit developmentally disabled, mentally retarded, and just general non-college bound, etc., students as "test takers" to boost their numbers.

Old 03-04-2010, 02:12 PM

The rankings I would like to see would be solely for public high schools that are not "special," "magnet," etc., who have to take whatever kids live in their district.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:46 PM

9,812 posts, read 12,873,990 times
Quote:
The rankings I would like to see would be solely for public high schools that are not "special," "magnet," etc., who have to take whatever kids live in their district.

It seems that no matter HOW MANY TIMES you tell certain people this, they just don't want to hear it.

It's quite mind boggling.

"but look at all the schools that rank above Long Islands!!"

Charter this, Magnet that.

If you bring up this point to someone, and they still continue with their line of dialogue, it spells "agenda".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or