U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Should the air traffic controller be fired?
Yes 15 44.12%
No 18 52.94%
No, the snow caused a moment of temporary insanity 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 11:14 AM

1,114 posts, read 1,363,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Zero tolerance policy could come in quite handy nowadays. For example, installing metal detectors in all schools... but that's another story. The problem isn't with the policies, the problem is with people being too scared to take a stand to begin with.
Sorry, I don't want my kids to live in a Police State even if it means they are "safe", like it's possible to be completely safe.

Sorry, I value freedom over security. I offer no apologies for this.

There was a time when most Americans did also. People didn't ask the state to "protect them" from everything. Now we can't have a freakin Pepsi without Bloomberg and his health police going after us! God forbid that guy should ever become Governor or worse yet president!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 11:16 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,686,948 times
I think the controller must be fired....
In their profession.... one bad instruction can lead to a major disaster, and we should reduce any chance of a screw up. As it is they are overworked and are under a lot of stress anyway. The kid can be a distraction not just to the father but also others around him. What if, and I'm just saying what if, there is a loss of communication after the kid messes up.... they (people in the airplanes) are doomed....
Even though the guy thinks I got this under control.... $hit happens.... we have to try as much as possible to make sure we are sitting on the toilet seat when it does !!

Old 03-04-2010, 11:57 AM

6,046 posts, read 7,428,659 times
For me...it's not so much a safety issue @ JFK, it's that it's always soooo crowded and my flights are always delayed. Plus, IMO, it's so dirty.

I actually prefer to make the trip out to Newark than go out of JFK. Newark gets crowded too but I find it's just a nicer airport in general.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM

492 posts, read 758,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
Meh. This was local control - basically directing planes from the taxiways to the runways for departure. Ground control directs planes from the terminal to taxiways.

More than likely the kid was sitting on the fathers lap, and both were plugged in. Fater was telling the kid everything to say, and the child was merely parroting it.

I can tell many people ( judging by the reaction to this ) have never been in contact with any form of ATC, either in a tower, or in a plane. That kid spoke better than 99% of the foreign student pilots I've heard.
AS long as he was speaking better than foreigners that makes it ok then (sigh of relief)

Old 03-04-2010, 12:55 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,807,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
Sorry, I don't want my kids to live in a Police State even if it means they are "safe", like it's possible to be completely safe.

Sorry, I value freedom over security. I offer no apologies for this.

There was a time when most Americans did also. People didn't ask the state to "protect them" from everything. Now we can't have a freakin Pepsi without Bloomberg and his health police going after us! God forbid that guy should ever become Governor or worse yet president!
Dang, I have to spread rep around before I can give it to you again.

This is a great post.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
For me...it's not so much a safety issue @ JFK, it's that it's always soooo crowded and my flights are always delayed. Plus, IMO, it's so dirty.

I actually prefer to make the trip out to Newark than go out of JFK. Newark gets crowded too but I find it's just a nicer airport in general.
Newark is laid out better but too long a trip just for the general ambience. I would rather use JFK because it is closer and saves time.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 PM

15,855 posts, read 17,149,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilTownBlues View Post
I've got to agree with everything stated here dman.

Controller must be fired period. Rules were broken, and although I agree that no one was in any danger, the price must be paid.

I still feel safer flying out of JFK than LGA...now that place is dangerous.
I have a relative who is a major airline pilot ... he says LGA is one of the most difficult airports for them (even worse than LAX) and once he got experience at LGA and they noticed he was really precise, he was stuck on runs that included LGA a lot! His airline knows LGA is difficult and they only have their BEST pilots flying in and out of LGA. So, actually, if you are a paranoid flyer and only want the BEST pilots ... it makes sense to fly out of LGA. Case in point: "Sully" who made a perfect crash landing into the Hudson River. He was flying out of LGA when it happened. Now that's a GREAT pilot!

Old 03-04-2010, 07:12 PM

217 posts, read 72,820 times
Wow you people here are like rabid dogs after this guy's job. He screwed up and deserves to be reprimanded, but not fired. Let's get real here, it's not like this guy walked away and let his kid guide air traffic. He told his kid to say a few things and the kid did. Let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:01 PM

2,923 posts, read 3,132,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I have a relative who is a major airline pilot ... he says LGA is one of the most difficult airports for them (even worse than LAX) and once he got experience at LGA and they noticed he was really precise, he was stuck on runs that included LGA a lot! His airline knows LGA is difficult and they only have their BEST pilots flying in and out of LGA. So, actually, if you are a paranoid flyer and only want the BEST pilots ... it makes sense to fly out of LGA. Case in point: "Sully" who made a perfect crash landing into the Hudson River. He was flying out of LGA when it happened. Now that's a GREAT pilot!
As much as I believe there are really great pilots flying out of there - I hate flying off of piers, especially on windy days, just nasty.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:43 PM

815 posts, read 1,167,522 times
Repremanded? Yes. Fired? No

I agree, professionals (licensed) should use better judgement, even on 'bring the kid to work day'. Wouldn't want a surgeon, dentist, lawyer, judge or teacher doing that, would we? Just slap his wrist, he is too valuable to fire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island