Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the air traffic controller be fired?
Yes 15 44.12%
No 18 52.94%
No, the snow caused a moment of temporary insanity 1 2.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
I'm not condoning the behavior. If a plane crashed I would not only want him not only fired but charged with Manslaughter. However, no plane crashed, no harm done. Suspend the guy, make it clear to all the controlers that children are not allowed in the tower, so this doesn't happen again. End of story, problem taken care of. No need for vengence.

I don't think someone should be out of a job just for breaking a rule when nobody got hurt.
Really? Not like the guy down in D.C. who orchestrated a low fly-over of Lower Manhattan on a bright Monday morning right after Obama took office. No harm done, right? So what your saying is no one needs to lose their job until an irrevocable act of murder is committed? We need a major economic loss in the $40-$50 million range plus loss of life to justify his firing? You feel comfortable with an unprofessional, self-centered, ego maniac directing planes at a major international airport?

Okay, let the guy keep his job, only have him direct crop-dusting planes out of sleepy Sioux Falls, South Dakota - transfer him back to the lowest minor league equivalent. No more majors for him, it's only single A ball now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM

880 posts, read 2,024,928 times
Didn't air traffic controllers all get fired for going on strike?This guy should be fired period.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:41 AM

416 posts, read 698,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Really? Not like the guy down in D.C. who orchestrated a low fly-over of Lower Manhattan on a bright Monday morning right after Obama took office. No harm done, right? So what your saying is no one needs to lose their job until an irrevocable act of murder is committed? We need a major economic loss in the $40-$50 million range plus loss of life to justify his firing? You feel comfortable with an unprofessional, self-centered, ego maniac directing planes at a major international airport?

Okay, let the guy keep his job, only have him direct crop-dusting planes out of sleepy Sioux Falls, South Dakota - transfer him back to the lowest minor league equivalent. No more majors for him, it's only single A ball now.
Excellent post - rep points for you.

These guys get paid a lot of money to do what they do. There is no room for games when it comes to directing air traffic. FrmlyBklyn is 100% correct - why act when irrevocable harm is done? Why not stop this from ever happening again so that we don't have to wait to see an entire plane with people wiped out?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:42 AM

280 posts, read 603,771 times
Quote:
I'm not condoning the behavior. If a plane crashed I would not only want him not only fired but charged with Manslaughter. However, no plane crashed, no harm done. Suspend the guy, make it clear to all the controlers that children are not allowed in the tower, so this doesn't happen again. End of story, problem taken care of. No need for vengence.

I don't think someone should be out of a job just for breaking a rule when nobody got hurt.

With the whole world watching how we are handling our airport security, the attitude "shouldn't be out of a job, just for breaking a rule" is an incredibly irresponsible attitude. This is 2010, JFK we are talking about, not 1990 small local airport.

How difficult is it, really, to get the security right at JFK, and for once adopt a zero tolerance policy against nonsense???

Old 03-04-2010, 09:14 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,117,456 times
Quote:
You obviously are not familiar with Long Islanders. They are always quick to judge everyone and cut off their heads with the least bit of provocation. Must be the result of the harsh punitive environment many of their ancestors had growing up in tough NYC neighborhoods.

They aren't going to listen to "shades of gray" arguments.
I was born and spent more than 26 years of my life there. One of the many reasons I left.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,037,516 times
Quote:
Repremanded? Yes. Fired? No. If someone would have gotten hurt that would have been a different story. It wasn't the wisest decision though.

My father worked for Conrail and I remember a couple of times as a kid riding up front in the engine and the conductor letting me blow the horn at all the railroad crossings. No harm done.
Years ago no one would have known this happened except for those also in the tower and in the cockpit. Same for your experience on the train. Todays media loves to make something of nothing. Was it the best idea to let them speak? No. I have no problem with them visiting the tower and seeing what Dad or Mom does at work.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:41 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,869,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
. This is 2010, JFK we are talking about, not 1990 small local airport.

How difficult is it, really, to get the security right at JFK, and for once adopt a zero tolerance policy against nonsense???
I wish it still was 1990. Life was a lot more fun back then! "Zero tolerance" is an phrase we use now to take all reasonable judgment out of decision making. May it be schools, drug policy, security, you name it. People are angry and scared because of our economic decline and threats from abroad, and the only way they feel like they have control is to impose harsher and harsher punishments for the slightest wayward actions. I'm not just referring to this incident (which maybe isn't the best example) but to an overall trend I see in society. It scares me.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:58 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,705,479 times
Also fire the dumb-ass pilots for taking instructions from a kid

Old 03-04-2010, 10:06 AM

280 posts, read 603,771 times
Quote:
I wish it still was 1990. Life was a lot more fun back then! "Zero tolerance" is an phrase we use now to take all reasonable judgment out of decision making. May it be schools, drug policy, security, you name it. People are angry and scared because of our economic decline and threats from abroad, and the only way they feel like they have control is to impose harsher and harsher punishments for the slightest wayward actions. I'm not just referring to this incident (which maybe isn't the best example) but to an overall trend I see in society. It scares me.
Zero tolerance policy could come in quite handy nowadays. For example, installing metal detectors in all schools... but that's another story. The problem isn't with the policies, the problem is with people being too scared to take a stand to begin with.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:12 AM

405 posts, read 1,163,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I don't think anything was put in danger, but I think the ATC was arrogant, self centered and stupid to allow this.

It reminds me of the San Francisco Giants a few years back in the WS when they had toddlers in the dugout running around, and one almost got leveled when he ran out on the field.

It's that arrogance that makes people think "well, I know the rules SAY you're not supposed to do something, but dammit these are MY kids..they are SPECIAL...those rules are for OTHER peoples kids. "

As for LI, that entitlement mentality is very, very common.

What, that sign says no bicycle riding on the tennis courts, meanwhile the parents stand there watching their 4 year old ride on the tennis courts.

"Oh, those rules don't apply to MY super special kid!!"
I've got to agree with everything stated here dman.

Controller must be fired period. Rules were broken, and although I agree that no one was in any danger, the price must be paid.

I still feel safer flying out of JFK than LGA...now that place is dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island