Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 05:56 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,379,165 times

Advertisements

The heatherwood section is very nice. The schools are average, nothing to worry about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 AM

342 posts, read 1,089,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmargs View Post
Is there really a difference between Port Jeff and Port Jeff station? I know school district is different but are they both nice areas? My moms fiance's boat is docked in Port Jeff village at Danfords and I LOVE the area. We are looking to buy a house out there and want to just make sure Port Jefferson Station is good as well.
THANK YOU SO MUCH

If school quality is important then Port Jeff is significantly better than PJS. If you are looking in the area, you might also want to look at Mt. Sinai (some of Mt Sinai school district has a PJS mailing address). Very good schools and nice housing selection ranging from the high 300K's all the way up to over a million. Port Jeff is beautiful. The schools are stellar, but for us they were too small. We wanted a few more kids (900 in the MS high school) and a newer school building. Mt. Sinai offers that over Port Jeff. You will need to look at the taxes too. Also, Mt Sinai north of North Country road is very similar to the look and feel of Port Jeff. Good luck!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:01 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Crooks,always so down on PJS. Port Jeff Station has taken somewhat of a downward turn over the years and the schools have declined but it is not a terrible district,but average at best,but as previously stated Port Jefferson is a much better S.D. When it comes to specific areas it really depends on street to street. There are lots of streets especially in what is called the Heatherwood section which is right behind the golf course (between Rush to Janet St.) that are very nice and safe.I personally would avoid ner the Lake streets(Huron,Ontario,etc...).
My apologies...there are some nice areas of PJS.
Across from Ward Melville and Terryville come to mind.Its just not Port Jeff and the downward turn is a little more than "somewhat".
(ala Huntington Station).

Perhaps a better analogy would be
PJ is to PJ Sta as Stony Brook is to Centereach?
Dunno.

I definitely think there are better affordable SD options in Brookhaven.
(Sachem/Milller Place/Rocky Point/Longwood all come to mind)

JMHO

Crooks

Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
If school quality is important then Port Jeff is significantly better than PJS. If you are looking in the area, you might also want to look at Mt. Sinai (some of Mt Sinai school district has a PJS mailing address). Very good schools and nice housing selection ranging from the high 300K's all the way up to over a million. Port Jeff is beautiful. The schools are stellar, but for us they were too small. We wanted a few more kids (900 in the MS high school) and a newer school building. Mt. Sinai offers that over Port Jeff. You will need to look at the taxes too. Also, Mt Sinai north of North Country road is very similar to the look and feel of Port Jeff. Good luck!

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought they were looking at PJS due to budget.

Mt Sinai is pretty pricey but indeed a great district.
There are a few PJS in Mt Sinai but they are at a premium.

Crooks

Old 03-05-2010, 07:28 AM

342 posts, read 1,089,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought they were looking at PJS due to budget.

Mt Sinai is pretty pricey but indeed a great district.
There are a few PJS in Mt Sinai but they are at a premium.

Crooks
In Mt Sinai there 3 nice (not crappy) 4BR homes for under 400K. There are 3 more very nice 4 BR homes for under 450K. Then there are even more in the 650 to 500K range. These are all 4br. If only 3brs are needed, then there are even tons more homes and costs can go down. There are more 4br homes for sale in Mt Sinai under 400K than in PJS.

Just saying that the market is what the market is in any given month. Not sure what the OP is looking for, but "budget" homes are available in most towns on the north shore up to a point. Granted, if the they are looking for 200K, well then that's different. But all of the towns mentioned have some selection in the 320K and up range.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
In Mt Sinai there 3 nice (not crappy) 4BR homes for under 400K. There are 3 more very nice 4 BR homes for under 450K. Then there are even more in the 650 to 500K range. These are all 4br. If only 3brs are needed, then there are even tons more homes and costs can go down. There are more 4br homes for sale in Mt Sinai under 400K than in PJS.

Just saying that the market is what the market is in any given month. Not sure what the OP is looking for, but "budget" homes are available in most towns on the north shore up to a point. Granted, if the they are looking for 200K, well then that's different. But all of the towns mentioned have some selection in the 320K and up range.

Then I would highly recommend MS over PJS for that $.

I suspect the stuff in the 320s in MS is crap or on a highway/powerlines etc but you never know.

Crooks

Old 03-05-2010, 04:16 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,079,935 times
Quote:
My apologies...there are some nice areas of PJS.
Across from Ward Melville and Terryville come to mind.Its just not Port Jeff and the downward turn is a little more than "somewhat".
(ala Huntington Station).

Perhaps a better analogy would be
PJ is to PJ Sta as Stony Brook is to Centereach?
Dunno.

I definitely think there are better affordable SD options in Brookhaven.
(Sachem/Milller Place/Rocky Point/Longwood all come to mind)

JMHO

Crooks
I do agree that RP and MP are better but Comsewogue is on par with Longwood and Sachem nowadays. Sachem has probably taken the biggest nosedive since being an elite school.

Old 03-05-2010, 04:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,557,715 times
Quote:
Across from Ward Melville and Terryville come to mind.

Terryville is not part of Port Jefferson Station, and just like Port Jefferson Station, Terryville is a hamlet in the Town of Brookhaven.

A map of the Hamlet of Terryville in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

Terryville is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Terryville have a "Port Jefferson Station, NY 11776", "Coram, NY 11727" and "Selden, NY 11784" mailing address.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:20 PM

99 posts, read 271,738 times
Quote:
PJ is to PJ Sta as CSH is to H Sta.

Crooks

You are out of your mind, that is not true at all. Having lived in PJS, and currently living in Port Jefferson, I would have no problem living in PJS. I do not understand where you get your information on Port Jefferson Station, it is way off. Huntington Station is one of the few bad areas on LI, and not at all comparable to Port Jefferson Station.

Port Jefferson is definitely a more upper class area, but you also pay a lot more. There is nothing wrong with living in PJS at all in fact I would say it is on par with your beloved Rocky Point as a decent place to live.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:28 PM

99 posts, read 271,738 times
Yes also be prepared to pay absolutely obscene taxes on your home in Mt Sinai school district too. Also I believe Mt Sinai is perhaps the most overpriced area on LI. It is no wonder that housing prices there have had one of the biggest corrections in this slump. No downtown area, full of strip malls etc. Mt Sinai does have good schools, but Comsewogue schools are not bad at all, and I would not pay the tremendous taxes to live in Mt Sinai.

Also Mt Sinai north of 25a is very expensive, and will have you paying 12k+ a year in tax.

Sure it would be wonderful to live up on a bluff in Old Field or something, and yeah some schools are better than others. However I would say that PJS is a perfectly acceptable place to live. Especially for those that do not want to be up to their ears in debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island