Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 03:16 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycgirl2010 View Post
@ Big Mike...I have no tattoos I also despise rude, ignorant, loud kids and do not want my son to grow up that way, hence the desire to move into a nice neighborhood...and it is only the 3 of us...I have friends on Long Island in Farmingdale, North Babylon and even East Hampton...but just need some unbiased advice...so I appreciate it. People tell me to be "careful" where I move out to Long Island as some parts are not so accepting, but I do not believe that people out there are racist...although I am sure there are some. I understand that people need to protect their investments and are leery about who moves into their neighborhood...so I do understand.
I'm not going to tell you that there aren't racists on the island..there are. Do I think you or your kids will be in danger? No. Is it possible that a handful of idiots might say something behind your back in certain neighborhoods? Yes.

I grew up in a very white area with a very good friend who was black, and yes sometimes people said uncomfortable things here and there, but did the guy ever feel like he lived in fear or was an outcast? No. Would he date a girl and every once in awhile get the feeling that dad didn't want his daughter dating a black guy? On a few occasions.

But, that was 20 years ago, and it was never anything overwhelming or repressive. It depends on your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:17 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Thank you all so much for your quick replies...I will do some research on these places. I checked some other posts on people looking for "diverse" neighborhoods but all the suggestions were for Baldwin or Lynbrook...so I am happy to look into these other places since Baldwin is pretty much out the equation for me.

Quote:
@ Big Mike...I have no tattoos I also despise rude, ignorant, loud kids and do not want my son to grow up that way, hence the desire to move into a nice neighborhood...and it is only the 3 of us...I have friends on Long Island in Farmingdale, North Babylon and even East Hampton...but just need some unbiased advice...so I appreciate it. People tell me to be "careful" where I move out to Long Island as some parts are not so accepting, but I do not believe that people out there are racist...although I am sure there are some. I understand that people need to protect their investments and are leery about who moves into their neighborhood...so I do understand.

Nycgirl,
You are ok in my book

Old 03-04-2010, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 31,560 times
So "Gpsma" you are telling me that a Real Estate Agent would not show me and my family a house in those neighborhoods....which quite frankly is illegal...

Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM

416 posts, read 697,660 times
You can get an extremely nice house in Farmingdale... and you wouldn't have any race issues there, but the school system isn't as good as some of the others you can afford.

I would stay away from Massapequa and Seaford - there isn't much diversity and it's a longer commute for both you and your husband.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
nycgirl2010, you can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:04 PM

Moderator cut: the post you are referring to has been deleted

Btw, I want to thank everyone else for their suggestions so far. I checked some listings in Farmingdale and they do have some really nice houses in my range...but I would need to probably visit there to get a better idea. Bellmore seems ok to...but I am coing across some "North and South" Bellmore....

Old 03-04-2010, 04:08 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,951,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Like clockwork every week someone asks this question. Is it not 2010........Is L.I. perceived as anti-black from every minority living in the 5 boros's?

Like I said

Old 03-04-2010, 04:30 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
So "Gpsma" you are telling me that a Real Estate Agent would not show me and my family a house in those neighborhoods....which quite frankly is illegal...
You are absolutely correct - it's a violation of Fair Housing laws and brings with it fines and possibly could cost the agent his/her license!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:34 PM

An agent is supposed to refuse to take a listing from a potential Seller, if the Seller insists that the buyer be of a specific race etc. But I am sure that all they see are $$$ and take the listing anyway.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
I checked some listings in Farmingdale and they do have some really nice houses in my range...but I would need to probably visit there to get a better idea.
Bear in mind, Farmingdale is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name as part of their mailing address are not in the village:

Places that have a "Farmingdale, NY 11735" mailing address that are not in the Village of Farmingdale are in the Hamlet of South Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Plainedge, as well as in the Hamlet of Old Bethpage in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County and in the Hamlet of East Farmingdale and the Hamlet of Wyandanch in the Town of Babylon, Suffolk County.

Quote:
Bellmore seems ok to...but I am coing across some "North and South" Bellmore....
Offically, North Bellmore and Bellmore are two separate hamlets:

North Bellmore is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of North Bellmore have a "Bellmore, NY 11710", "Wantagh, NY 11793" and "Merrick, NY 11566" mailing address.

Bellmore is one of those villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of the places with the community name in their mailing address are not in the hamlet: places that have a "Bellmore, NY 11710" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Bellmore are in the Hamlet of North Bellmore, the Hamlet of Merrick and the Hamlet of Wantagh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island