Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,427 times

Advertisements

can anyone give me their thoughts on East Meadow? My husband and I are looking to move there and I keep hearing mixed things about it. I hear the schools are decent but I also hear to stay away from the East Meadow/Westbury area b/c it can be scetchy.

any thoughts?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:38 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
^^^
The high schools are not that high performing in East Meadow, but they are preferable to Westbury, and still probably better than most public (non-specialty) high schools when compared on a nationwide basis. For instance, I have heard many first-time home buyers have been looking in the Salisbury area of Westbury (not part of Westbury Village, but same zip code as Westbury), which has East Meadow schools.

I would not consider East Meadow, nor most of Westbury sketchy. The only place I would deem wholly sketchy in that area would be New Cassel.

Last edited by I_Love_LI_but; 03-08-2010 at 02:32 PM.. Reason: geographical clarification

Old 03-08-2010, 02:30 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
The East Meadow Union Free School District serves both the Hamlet of East Meadow and the Hamlet of Salisbury.

The Hamlet of Salisbury is within the "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone, meaning that most places in Salisbury have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address, but Salisbury is not part of the Village of Westbury, which is north of Old Country Road (Salisbury is south of Old County Road).

Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM

4 posts, read 16,427 times
thank you, I didn't know anything about the schools or the New Cassel area. Or Westbury for that matter. I live in Wantagh so I am not too far from East Meadow. I'm going to take a ride through the area. But it's definately a consideration.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times
New Cassel is not related to East Meadow. Salisbury, the hamlet within East Meadow school district, has a westbury-11590 zip code, and so does New Cassel. But New Cassel is a different area from Salisbury. New Cassel is part of the Westbury school district. Try to be sensitive to Hamlet boundaries and not zip-code boundaries here.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:49 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau6 View Post
thank you, I didn't know anything about the schools or the New Cassel area. Or Westbury for that matter. I live in Wantagh so I am not too far from East Meadow. I'm going to take a ride through the area. But it's definately a consideration.
If you live in Wantagh, how do you not know everything you need to know about East Meadow already? They're practically right next to each other...

Old 03-11-2010, 07:32 AM

655 posts, read 1,059,850 times
I may be in the minority but while East Meadow is OK, I feel like its trending downward....not liking the way Front St and parts of Hempstead Tpke are looking..I feel like there are better neighborhoods at comparable prices. To me, its one of those places that if you have lived there for a long time and bought when it was affordable you stay/pass it down, but to invest at 2010 retail prices isn't a good look IMO.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:52 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I may be in the minority but while East Meadow is OK, I feel like its trending downward....not liking the way Front St and parts of Hempstead Tpke are looking..I feel like there are better neighborhoods at comparable prices. To me, its one of those places that if you have lived there for a long time and bought when it was affordable you stay/pass it down, but to invest at 2010 retail prices isn't a good look IMO.
People have been saying that about East Meadow for 20 years and yet it's still the same as it's always been. Having lived in the area nearly my whole life, I actually think Front Street and Hempstead Turnpike are in much better shape now than they were years ago. Prices are the same as what you're gonna pay in Levittown, Bethpage and North Bellmore.....and for Nassau County, it's about as cheap as you're gonna get.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:38 AM

18 posts, read 86,850 times
i m also looking to buy a house in east meadow because the house prices are in my bugest range. but i do not know what bad about it? any examples?

Old 03-12-2010, 01:27 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
People have been saying that about East Meadow for 20 years and yet it's still the same as it's always been. Having lived in the area nearly my whole life, I actually think Front Street and Hempstead Turnpike are in much better shape now than they were years ago. Prices are the same as what you're gonna pay in Levittown, Bethpage and North Bellmore.....and for Nassau County, it's about as cheap as you're gonna get.
It's def. not one of the cheapest places in Nassau- ever hear of Roosevelt?

That's such an exaggeration. East Meadow is not bad at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island