Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LI hates...
Jim Dolan 23 52.27%
Sean Hannity 4 9.09%
Charles Wang 0 0%
Gov. Patterson 11 25.00%
Bill O'Reilly 2 4.55%
Lindsey Lohan 0 0%
The entire Baldwin Family 1 2.27%
Meg Whitman 1 2.27%
John Tesh 0 0%
Howard Stern 2 4.55%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 05:37 PM

217 posts, read 255,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I agree. As much as I hate Gullotta, and while he can be blamed for many things, the teacher compensation really wasn't his fault. The compensation with the cops on the other hand is directly tied to Gullotta, and the contracts worked out in the mid and late 90's.

I guess an argument could be made that the teachers unions were able to use the police compensation to their advantage in the negotiations they had, but I'm not sure if thats entirely true, and that really is only an indirect connection to Gullotta. Regardless, while I don't think its really fair to place much of the blame on the compensation the teachers receive on Gullotta, he is certainly to blame for the police compensation deals of the 90's.
Actually it is true... all unions on LI based their negotiations off what was given to the NCPD from Tom Gulotta. This is coming from my next door neighbor who is a labor lawyer that represents unions. I suppose on an anonymous internet forum that doesn't mean much, but the connection isn't far fetched regardless.

So while Gulotta is not directly responsible for the teacher's compensation, he is indirectly (so I stand corrected on that).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:57 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Howards done a good enough job of making himself irrelevant.
Its amazing how little he matters now.

Crooks
Please explain.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:01 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Please explain.

He went to Satellite Radio where 90% of the listening public has no interest or access. He used to be in the news all the time and now he basically hardly ever is...on cue he ups the anti by making a racially charged comment about that actress..he has to do something. His move to Satellite was a mistake for him.

I was one of the people who would tune in occasionally, but didn't like him enough to pay $12 a month..I'd end up turning off the station 50% of the time. I'd listen when he was interviewing somebody, turn it off when he had a naked chick in the studio..it's radio, what good does that do me?

Old 03-10-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
He went to Satellite Radio where 90% of the listening public has no interest or access. He used to be in the news all the time and now he basically hardly ever is...on cue he ups the anti by making a racially charged comment about that actress..he has to do something. His move to Satellite was a mistake for him.

I was one of the people who would tune in occasionally, but didn't like him enough to pay $12 a month..I'd end up turning off the station 50% of the time. I'd listen when he was interviewing somebody, turn it off when he had a naked chick in the studio..it's radio, what good does that do me?
How could it be a mistake for him? He made $500M over 5 years and he more than made up for that with the number of subscribers he brought with him to Sirius. He could go back to regular radio if he wanted now or he could stay where he is when his contract is up at the end of this year.

He isnt in the news? Wasn't Howard the one that was all over the news as a possible American Idol judge? He didnt float that idea for press btw.

I agree not nearly as many people have access, that is obvious, but he may not be as insignificant as you think. Every time he has a guest on that person is almost always the top on Google Search for the day, especially when it is not a well known person. Some one is listening.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
How could it be a mistake for him? He made $500M over 5 years and he more than made up for that with the number of subscribers he brought with him to Sirius. He could go back to regular radio if he wanted now or he could stay where he is when his contract is up at the end of this year.

He isnt in the news? Wasn't Howard the one that was all over the news as a possible American Idol judge? He didnt float that idea for press btw.

I agree not nearly as many people have access, that is obvious, but he may not be as insignificant as you think. Every time he has a guest on that person is almost always the top on Google Search for the day, especially when it is not a well known person. Some one is listening.

He is not nearly as influential as he was on regular radio, and to an attention you-know-what like Howard, that's more important than money.

Done with the discussion about Howard because his worshipers cannot be reasoned with, so it's pointless, and I'm getting that feeling about you.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
He is not nearly as influential as he was on regular radio, and to an attention you-know-what like Howard, that's more important than money.

Done with the discussion about Howard because his worshipers cannot be reasoned with, so it's pointless, and I'm getting that feeling about you.
Ha ha. I see your points, I don't go that deep, trust me. I have listened since I was in 7th grade but I know he is full of crap a lot. It will be interesting to see what his next move is, I see him staying there. Remember, while he may not get as attention but he also does not have to deal with the FCC coming after him on everything (yes, I realize that was part of his act as well).

Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:

Howard=Over

Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Ha ha. I see your points, I don't go that deep, trust me. I have listened since I was in 7th grade but I know he is full of crap a lot. It will be interesting to see what his next move is, I see him staying there. Remember, while he may not get as attention but he also does not have to deal with the FCC coming after him on everything (yes, I realize that was part of his act as well).
Okay, not a fanboy so I'll keep talking.

FCC persecution schtick was a HUGE part of Howard's appeal, teetering on the edge all the time, etc.

Now he can just say the F word all day.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:18 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
never was a huge Stern fan but the money he pocketed from Sirius was so ridiculous, I think he would have made the same move if given the chance to do it all over.

At this point in his life (he's gotta be almost 60?), maybe he doesn't "need" the attention any more? Just speculating...I haven't heard a single minute of his show since he went to sattellite.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:20 PM

217 posts, read 255,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I haven't heard a single minute of his show since he went to sattellite.
I have... and you aren't missing much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island