U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-13-2010, 07:22 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,025,922 times
Default Wind/Rainstorm

Well, I'm trapped in my house South of Montauk with about 3 feet of rushing water heading down my street and an overflowing canal behind my house!

When I moved my car, I saw siding, gutters, and roofing flying off of people's houses! It literally seems like my house is going to blow away.

How is it elsewhere on the Island? I've been hearing sirens all day, I hope everyone is safe.

I'll give LIPA this, aside from a few brownouts for a minute or two, I've still got power and I'm amazed that I do!!

I am REALLY hoping that the tide recedes soon, as it's getting a little too close for comfort right now for me, closer to the floor of my house than I have EVER seen it before.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 07:48 PM

8,904 posts, read 6,397,244 times
I've been seeing the lights flicker on and off the whole night. Almost the entire side of our house's siding fell off. The clueless previous owner put it on all wrong and 2 pieces fell off during the last wind storm a couple months ago. Now the rest of it all fell off, lol.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:49 PM

939 posts, read 1,261,289 times
it was sunny and 85 all day here in east northport

Old 03-13-2010, 08:04 PM

8,681 posts, read 7,426,107 times
Lights have been flickering all night not far from MacArthur Airport. It started to get bad around here around 4:00. I noticed it while coming back from my accountant, who is in Smithtown. Just got blown all over the road. Oddly enough, the cheapo deck furniture on my balcony hasn't moved. About to bring it in regardless. The last thing I need is for it to land on my neighbor's car.

My stylist nearly crashed into a downed tree in Babylon. There's a blown transformer somewhere in Nassau, in or around Wantagh. A friend in Massapequa lost his power, and is mooching off wireless from the train station there.

I've gotta say, I'm a little bit nervous about my guy driving on the roads tonight to get to work. He just stopped by on his way home from visiting a friend in Patchogue and said he saw three accidents on the way here, which is a big 10-minute drive.

Stay safe, everyone.

Last edited by Yzette; 03-13-2010 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Goodness. More sirens. It's unsettling.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM

653 posts, read 1,073,268 times
Everything fine so far in Commack. Wind has been pciking up and rain all day.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:19 PM

846 posts, read 1,188,934 times
I took a (very short) walk on the beach in Smithtown today and I swear I never saw the Sound so angry. It looked like the ocean on a rough day.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:38 PM

470 posts, read 712,738 times
There is a tree lying across my street and it took some power lines with it. I have not had any power since about 7 pm

Old 03-13-2010, 08:40 PM

153 posts, read 349,455 times
I almost hate to post this, in fear i'll jinx myself, So far I had 1 gutter downsoput fly off of my house, the upper gutter coming loose from the house, and the corner shingles of my roof lifting up every time there's a big gust.

My brothers shed in the backyard has tipped over and all tools etc. fell out, and i've heard stories of siding ripping off, etc. etc.

Thankfully our electric has suffered only filckers, though I'm making sure my cell phone and laptop are charged (for dvd watching) should the power fail.

My parents house and best friend house have no power.

Stay safe everyone!

Old 03-13-2010, 09:19 PM

7,632 posts, read 10,359,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Well, I'm trapped in my house South of Montauk with about 3 feet of rushing water heading down my street and an overflowing canal behind my house!

When I moved my car, I saw siding, gutters, and roofing flying off of people's houses! It literally seems like my house is going to blow away.

How is it elsewhere on the Island? I've been hearing sirens all day, I hope everyone is safe.

I'll give LIPA this, aside from a few brownouts for a minute or two, I've still got power and I'm amazed that I do!!

I am REALLY hoping that the tide recedes soon, as it's getting a little too close for comfort right now for me, closer to the floor of my house than I have EVER seen it before.
Sounds like you might be in Freeport - they showed some areas on the news tonight... and there are reportedly over 139,000 homes and business w/o power on Long Island...

Old 03-13-2010, 09:24 PM

2,495 posts, read 4,313,917 times
Quite a few power outages on the south shore, many entire towns out. This storm is turning out worse than expected, this the closest I've seen to a hurricane since I experienced Gloria. Power has flickered here but hasn't gone out, amazingly.
There will be alot of damage come daylight, loads of trees down.

Moderator cut: John, please do not make every subject turn into an anti-immigrant post :

Northern NJ is getting hit hard as well, Garden State Plaza lost power and had to be evacuated! Roosevelt Field was still up and running when I was there at 6pm. Seeing those traffic lights sway...well that was something else!
I wonder how those pine barrens are faring...

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-13-2010 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island