U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2010, 01:27 PM
 
959 posts, read 1,387,528 times
Reputation: 344

Advertisements

Me too. I heard Levy may go GOP and run for Governor. If that's the case, I'll personally join his campaign and stand out on Old Country road handing out fliers.

 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:15 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 2,488,769 times
Reputation: 17204
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

We aren't alone. Go to the NJ boards sometime and see what they say. Try the Westchester boards a bit and listen to them. The NY tristate area is a fiscal mess created by corrupt politicians, abusive unions, and an electorate that was asleep at the wheel. NJ is at least TRYING to do something now. Unfortunately, NY has ZERO leadership in Albany and they keep electing the same corrupt drones over and over. I'm beginning to think the people of this State in general are quite dumb. If our choices in politicians are any indication of our intelligence, then we are sorely lacking.
I felt that way for at least the last 15 years before I moved. If you want change, you have to make it don't rely on others, because in this day and age it's not happening . Somebody else just recently promised "hope" and "change" but it slips my mind right now.
 
Old 03-16-2010, 02:23 PM
 
8,681 posts, read 7,641,733 times
Reputation: 14945
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Unfortunately there usually aren't many viable alternatives and at this point we're so firmly entrenched in this culture of garbage and waste from Mineola to Albany that there is very little that could be done from the ballot box.
Why not?

Seriously. If you don't think the people have the power to fix what they think is wrong, then what in heaven's name is the point of talking about it?

What do you hope will come of it? Practically speaking, I mean. What action or event do you hope will happen as a result of this thread, and all the other threads before it, which, from what I understand, have been coming up since C-D was created?

Certainly the objects of your wrath--cops, teachers, and so on--aren't going to:

1. Come to C-D and

2. Say, "Gee, these people are so upset. Let me go offer to take a pay cut. How sorry I am for my success. Oh, how evil and rotten I am to not see them suffering so."

So... if people can't change the situation through their votes, and if the civil servants you're angry with don't give a flying fart in a windstorm what someone on some obscure message board says, is this whole conversation just for some folks to vent?

If it is, just say so. At least it would be an honest response.

As for the rest, I've addressed that in my answer to dman. I've got my own personal troll on here (how flattering to be that effective in communicating that I've ticked off someone that much), but also, as a few others are trying to say that I disagree because I somehow benefit from a cop's salary, or, failing that, a civil servant's salary, I thought I'd come out with it. So now you know. No affiliation with the SCPD. My man, though civil service and law enforcement, is not the bazillionaire my troll wants to think he is.

Which pretty much takes away any "point" anyone would have to make about any vested interest on my part. They were wrong in their assumptions, so now they can't fall back on ad hom. What a pity.
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Wellsville, Glurt County
2,846 posts, read 6,210,820 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Why not?

Seriously. If you don't think the people have the power to fix what they think is wrong, then what in heaven's name is the point of talking about it?

What do you hope will come of it? Practically speaking, I mean. What action or event do you hope will happen as a result of this thread, and all the other threads before it, which, from what I understand, have been coming up since C-D was created?
There is a problem at the state level and a problem at the local level. They have to undo 40+ years of eff ups, laziness and incompetence. It's not so simple as pulling a lever and getting a new comptroller or village mayor in there or something. There needs to be radical change from the top down. I will vote for anyone who is hip to the game and fighting back against the unions - but so far the only local politician doing that is Levy, and he's not even in my county. Who in the state legislature even discusses the topic? No one. Everyone is scared shirtless of the smear campaigns the unions will run. So if no politicians have the spine to do anything about it, what else can we do but talk? Let people know what's going on. I'm hoping people who aren't even members of these forums read these threads, do the research themselves, tell their friends about it, etc. That's how word gets around, that's how people find things out, that's how opinions are formed.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Certainly the objects of your wrath--cops, teachers, and so on--
The "object of my wrath" is that the taxes are too high and negatively impacting Long Island, for the bazillionth time it's nothing personal against the cops, teachers, meter maids, garbagemen social workers, etc.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
As for the rest, I've addressed that in my answer to dman.
Moderator cut: Please do not comment about other posters. . The part I was hoping you would answer was the part where I asked WHAT exactly do you think causes taxes to be high on Long Island? What, exactly, is in the budget of Nassau County, Suffolk County and their respective towns that makes things so expensive? Or do you think they're reasonable?

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-16-2010 at 10:43 PM..
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:15 PM
 
217 posts, read 68,931 times
Reputation: 59
Moderator cut: ..


I will say, that many civil servants are NOT overpaid. The SCPD, however, is ridiculously overpaid.

As DMAN said, "blaming the politicians" is bologna and it's purely a bait-and-switch tactic used by the PBA. The attention needs to be put on the PBA. They should have taken Levy's deal as a sign of them extending the olive branch. Instead, they go to arbitration and screw the county over once more.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-17-2010 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Keep it about the topic
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
 
Location: Wallens Ridge
3,131 posts, read 2,488,769 times
Reputation: 17204
Funny, I hate to flame here but ....Last night I was doing homework with my daughter who is in 3rd grade. She was doing homework on the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Revolutionary War era. Those colonist wanted change and acted!. Nowadays change is not change but venting blogs on sites like this. Imagine if they had the internet back then, we would still be under English Rule. Remember when NYer's had smarts,balls,attitudes now they're just floating Jelly fish.

Last Saturday during a poker game my neighbor show us a clip from a town meeting. His bother is a real redneck I mean real 100% Jerry Springer redneck. He lives about 50 miles from us, still in Va. Anyway during this town meeting the representative of the town, maybe he was the Mayor was talking about how the economic downturn and how it has effected revenue,etc,etc. Now you have to realize the people that attended this meeting. They all have pick-ups with the shot gun racks with some the shot guns were still in them. Then realize the good ole boys went drinking before attending this meeting. The Mayor/representative was mentioning raising taxes to make up for the lost revenue. You clearly hear this gentleman state " If you raise my taxes I will burn your house down. and if you cut services for me or my family I will slice your throat before I burn your house down." Now you could see all the good ole boys rallying behind him. When it ends you could see this poor guy saying " I have good news there isn't going to be any tax increases this year"

We got a good laugh over it, but a stand was taken, probably not the most civilized way of doing it but they got their point across. What does this have to do with NY, not much if anything at all. But to make change happen there it's going to take something radical not just joining the 100's of web change sites and leaving your electronic signature on them. After all the years of expressing you anger on here, its gotten nothing but MORE taxes........................... I wish his brother would post the video on you-tube, say what you want about these folks, Moderator cut: language removed .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 03-16-2010 at 10:44 PM..
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:25 PM
 
217 posts, read 68,931 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
As for the rest, I've addressed that in my answer to dman. I've got my own personal troll on here (how flattering to be that effective in communicating that I've ticked off someone that much)
Don't flatter yourself, I just like calling out non-sense when I read it. Some people are very easy targets.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
, but also, as a few others are trying to say that I disagree because I somehow benefit from a cop's salary, or, failing that, a civil servant's salary, I thought I'd come out with it. So now you know. No affiliation with the SCPD. My man, though civil service and law enforcement, is not the bazillionaire my troll wants to think he is.

Which pretty much takes away any "point" anyone would have to make about any vested interest on my part. They were wrong in their assumptions, so now they can't fall back on ad hom. What a pity.
It's not about the affiliation with SCPD, it's law enforcement in general.
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
 
217 posts, read 68,931 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
What do you need to insert in your eharmony profile to get paired with a Corrections Officer? Sorry couldn't resist.
LOL too funny!!
 
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM
 
217 posts, read 68,931 times
Reputation: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I criticize police compensation all the time...to everyone including cops and their families. I don't care. I'm sure that puts me on the "blacklist" with some, and if I ever need them, they may "look the other way". But screw that. I don't care.

I'm sick and tired of paying these ridiculous taxes to fund these salaries and benefits that are completely out of line and out of touch with our budget.
Bingo - I have no problem telling anyone and everyone (including police) what I think about the taxes and the cops compensation as it relates to the taxes. The LI cops that I know acknowledge they are getting a sick deal - they call it "winning the lotto".

I wonder if some of these "Defenders" of SCPD compensation even own property and pay taxes? Methinks not...
 
Old 03-16-2010, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Wellsville, Glurt County
2,846 posts, read 6,210,820 times
Reputation: 1309
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Funny, I hate to flame here but ....Last night I was doing homework with my daughter who is in 3rd grade. She was doing homework on the Boston Tea Party, Boston Massacre, Revolutionary War era. Those colonist wanted change and acted!. Nowadays change is not change but venting blogs on sites like this. Imagine if they had the internet back then, we would still be under English Rule. Remember when NYer's had smarts,balls,attitudes now they're just floating Jelly fish.
Yeah, remember how awesome that was? Back in the 18th century before any of us were alive and real men wore pubic wigs and wooden teeth? Those were the days man. That is so relevant to what is going on in New York right now. We need to form militias and go to war with our own state government. Everybody just has to grow some balls and start killing politicians, oh and cops I guess (since they'll be trying to stop us) and I'm sure the history books will sort it all out afterwards.

Get real Mike, this is 2010. People writing things on the internet is the way things get done now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Last Saturday during a poker game my neighbor show us a clip from a town meeting. His bother is a real redneck I mean real 100% Jerry Springer redneck. He lives about 50 miles from us, still in Va. Anyway during this town meeting the representative of the town, maybe he was the Mayor was talking about how the economic downturn and how it has effected revenue,etc,etc. Now you have to realize the people that attended this meeting. They all have pick-ups with the shot gun racks with some the shot guns were still in them. Then realize the good ole boys went drinking before attending this meeting. The Mayor/representative was mentioning raising taxes to make up for the lost revenue. You clearly hear this gentleman state " If you raise my taxes I will burn your house down. and if you cut services for me or my family I will slice your throat before I burn your house down." Now you could see all the good ole boys rallying behind him. When it ends you could see this poor guy saying " I have good news there isn't going to be any tax increases this year"
And you're saying this is an attitude we're supposed to be jealous of or something?

Oh yeah, what we need to do in New York to fix everything is to become dumb, drunk and stupid and yell insane threats at our elected officials. That will make things super awesome for us. Thanks for the excellent tip ]Moderator cut: inappropriate

Last edited by Keeper; 03-17-2010 at 12:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:46 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top