Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,487 times

Advertisements

Hicksville schools are ok. Hicksville schools are better than half the school districts on Long Island. So, if Hicksville schools are bad, then so are half the school districts on Long Island.. Its not a top-tier school, but you are not going to get anything for 350k in a top-tier district anyway. I would suggest you keep Hicksville on your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM

222 posts, read 892,899 times
PM me.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:40 PM

50 posts, read 136,007 times
WJFM, thanks, I think we might just have to stick with Hicksville...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:58 PM

3 posts, read 5,739 times
Default Wait a second...

Hey Elisa,
Before you write-off Westbury, my husband & I were in the same position as you were 2 years ago---living in Queens and ended up purchasing a home in Westbury. We are right at the Carle Place/Westbury border, off Jericho Tpke, across the street from Old Westbury. We love our quiet residential, parklike neighborhood. I agree that the school district sucks, but it is not reflective of the people who live around us and definitely does not compare to the majority of schools in NYC---where everyone I knew went to private, Catholic schools or specialized public schools anyway. Either way, we planned on sending our son to a private, Catholic school, which turns out to be way cheaper than day care and other private schools and has tons more amenities. Plus Westbury school district pays for books and transportation for your child to go to private school. Carle Place has smaller and often more expensive homes, Hicksville is way overpopulated and gray (as you put it), and Jericho is overpriced for the same exact house you can get here. So, I wouldn't write off Westbury, especially if you cannot find the type of area, or size of home in those other places.
Regards.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:10 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,467 times
I live in Levittown and love it here. Great town and schools. I personally would never move to Westbury for a basement. There are so many nicer towns for 350 and better schools than Westbury with basements. (Plus I am not a fan of basements...to much flooding trouble in my experience)

In my opinion, the nicer part of Westbury is the Salisbury section (but they are Levitt homes too, no basements, but in the East Meadow school district..which is better than Westbury schools).

Don't buy with the 5 year plan in mind as a necessity. Life is tricky and so is the real estate market and sometimes the plan doesn't work out and your stuck with bad schools.

Hicksville isn't too bad, but you can probably do better than Hicksville for 350 in this market if you luck out.

Check out Bethpage and Wantagh. You can find basements there, but you would need to settle for a small fixer.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
In my opinion, the nicer part of Westbury is the Salisbury section ...

Salisbury is a hamlet in the Town of Hempstead, Westbury is a village in the Town of North Hempstead, and, in addition to being in two separate towns, by New York State definition, a hamlet cannot be a section, or, for that matter, any part of a village, even if they were in the same town.

Old 03-29-2010, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,739 times
I think Westbury gets a bad rap, but then again it's probably because I don't see all that goes on in the New Cassell side of town. I didn't like Salisbury b/c it reminded me of Hicksville. My ideal town and the one on our 5 year plan is still Old Westbury and that's why we live directly across the street to keep our eyes on where we will be in a few short years. However, I will still keep my son at the same private, Catholic elementary school, but likely have him go to Jericho high school, when the time comes. If we end up not moving by then he can continue to a private high school and I will still be content b/c our house is big and modern and our neighbors are quiet but friendly. Also, there are so many restaurants and bars in Westbury between Post Avenue and Old Country Road that entertaining our out of town friends has been ideal.

If New Cassel had its own school district perhaps Westbury school district would improve enough so that all its residents can be proud to say they live in this great village.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:29 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSN6473 View Post
I think Westbury gets a bad rap, but then again it's probably because I don't see all that goes on in the New Cassell side of town. I didn't like Salisbury b/c it reminded me of Hicksville. My ideal town and the one on our 5 year plan is still Old Westbury and that's why we live directly across the street to keep our eyes on where we will be in a few short years. However, I will still keep my son at the same private, Catholic elementary school, but likely have him go to Jericho high school, when the time comes. If we end up not moving by then he can continue to a private high school and I will still be content b/c our house is big and modern and our neighbors are quiet but friendly. Also, there are so many restaurants and bars in Westbury between Post Avenue and Old Country Road that entertaining our out of town friends has been ideal.

If New Cassel had its own school district perhaps Westbury school district would improve enough so that all its residents can be proud to say they live in this great village.
Why didn't you just move to Old Westbury in the first place if you are planning to move there in 5 short years?

How are you going to send your child to Jericho High School if you will be living in Old Westbury?

Besides the school district, another problem in Westbury is absentee slumlords chopping up single-family homes into "rent-a-rooms" and filling them full of illegal aliens.

I would suggest you get active in your local government and tell your local officials they better clean up the place.

I think that there are many nice homes in Westbury/Village of Westbury. Now if the people can light a fire under the butt of their local government to clean some things up, you will be getting somewhere.

Old 03-29-2010, 05:51 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
How are you going to send your child to Jericho High School if you will be living in Old Westbury?
The Village of Old Westbury is partly in the Town of North Hempstead and partly in the Town of Oyster Bay and is partly in the Westbury Union Free School District, the East Williston Union Free School District and the Jericho Union Free School District.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:24 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSN6473 View Post

I so agree with the last part. Of course whenever I've brought it up in the past I get attacked. Let New Cassel take care of its own problems, and stop bringing Westbury down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island