Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 09:02 PM

72 posts, read 193,461 times

Advertisements

I am amazed at some of these comments. Most people I know make no where near 160 k combined. Do you know that the median income on LI for 2010 is 103,000 a year ( and that is combined income). Most of the people I know are not making huge salaries. I am not working now, and having a hard time finding another job. My husband makes about 120k, but our mortgage is very low (you would not believe me if I told you what it was). We also drive old cars with alot of mile on it and have one child. I do believe that most people on LI are living way lower than the salaries you are saying you need to survive. If your kids are still on LI when they are grown, expect them to be living with you forever, sad say,but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 09:10 PM

4 posts, read 9,157 times
I am 38 I just had a baby I am married with 2 kids now. I use to live on Long Island. I currently live in Florida. I want to move back ! Florida is great for the weather and thats it .Times are tuff down here. Schools suck. I want the best for my family . My friends and family are up there in LI. I know I could make more $ up there. I also know it costs more but can you put a price on Friends and family ??? Florida does not pay big $$$$. What to do ???? I want good schools . I feel between my wife and I we could make 100k to 125K a year . Do you think that would work. At 38 its hard to start all over. I lost everything down here .

Old 04-29-2012, 10:40 PM

244 posts, read 633,958 times
Same crazy numbers being thrown around in this thread, starting to make me worried.

We make about $100k combined and are buying a house around $320k in the Shoreham area. We have sat down and realistically planned the mortgage, taxes, insurance plus all the bills, gas for the cars, savings etc. and we can afford to live here pretty decently. Maybe things have changed with the lower home prices and interest rates.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:57 PM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelamb3 View Post
I am amazed at some of these comments. Most people I know make no where near 160 k combined. Do you know that the median income on LI for 2010 is 103,000 a year ( and that is combined income). Most of the people I know are not making huge salaries. I am not working now, and having a hard time finding another job. My husband makes about 120k, but our mortgage is very low (you would not believe me if I told you what it was). We also drive old cars with alot of mile on it and have one child. I do believe that most people on LI are living way lower than the salaries you are saying you need to survive. If your kids are still on LI when they are grown, expect them to be living with you forever, sad say,but true.
It's all due to housing/property tax costs. There's many older people who don't make $160k combined but they purchased there home before the boom and have lower monthly payments.

I often hear older people say that if they sold their home, moved away, they would never be able to move back and purchase a home here. It wouldn't be affordable if used that cash for something else and needed to start fresh with a $400k+ mortgage payment.

If houses came back to pre housing bubble prices the affordability issues on Long Island would narrow greatly.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:00 PM

398 posts, read 837,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekzilla View Post
Same crazy numbers being thrown around in this thread, starting to make me worried.

We make about $100k combined and are buying a house around $320k in the Shoreham area. We have sat down and realistically planned the mortgage, taxes, insurance plus all the bills, gas for the cars, savings etc. and we can afford to live here pretty decently. Maybe things have changed with the lower home prices and interest rates.
What are your property taxes? Curious how much you'll be putting away for retirement and after all those expenses how much money you'll have left over to enjoy life. What about if you have children soon, have you factored in the cost of daycare? I would never discourage someone from living here and starting a family, but just know what you're getting into as I would hate to see people struggle.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:11 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,104 times
thread is too general. depends on nassau or suffolk or north or south. varies greatly obviously. also depends on what you define as comfort.

Old 05-01-2012, 02:51 PM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
If you are buying a home, you will need a lot more $$ than expected. It is truly a struggle living on LI....and my salary is in the six figures.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM

8 posts, read 11,019 times
Hi, I was recently offered a job that pays right around 50k. Is it worth it to move out there for this? I really have no payments or debt right now, so the bills would be cheap. It looks like I would have to rent and probably spend 2,000 to get something decent? Does that sound about right?
Thanks for your help

Old 04-01-2013, 08:16 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoors1983 View Post
Hi, I was recently offered a job that pays right around 50k. Is it worth it to move out there for this? I really have no payments or debt right now, so the bills would be cheap. It looks like I would have to rent and probably spend 2,000 to get something decent? Does that sound about right?
Thanks for your help
Where in LI is the job? Where and how will you commute to work? Do you have any pets moving with you?

Old 04-01-2013, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 11,019 times
The job is near Brookville which I know I can't live there, but willing to commute. I have no pets and no real debt, main bills would be rent, insurance, etc. I have very little of a car payment left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island