Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:56 AM

58 posts, read 165,124 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any info on this community? It's a townhome over 55 community off of Old Towne Rd just south of 347 In Port Jeff Sta. We are relocating back to LI and have been looking to find a nice community to lease. We lived in the same area 18 yrs ago but this is a fairly new Fairfield community. The rent seems fair for a 2/2 with all the ammenities available at this place.

They are asking $1875.00 a month which includes water/garbage. There is a full walk out basement and patio area, also a front porch. I am looking forward to comming back home, we have alot of family still up there and FL has taken a turn for the worse for my buisness. Any info on this property would be greatly appreciated also another big plus is they take larger pets most wont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 12:04 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
The Knolls has some properties in Nassau where the apartments are SOLD not rented to seniors and they are run well and have no problems.

What gives me pause is you say this is a Fairfield Community. They have a very bad reputation as a rental management company. I don't even know why they are allowed to use the name "The Knolls," since those were all developed by The Benjamin Companies.

I would say avoid it because of Fairfield.

I also think that is a lot of rent considering how far out on LI the complex is. You may be able to rent a little house for that kind of money instead and have more privacy and any pet you wish.

PS: You just say the rent includes water and garbage. Would you have to pay your own heat/hot water? If so, then I think the rental price is a TOTAL ripoff.

Old 03-23-2010, 01:36 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,930 times
May I suggest you rent a nice little house in Rocky Point.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The Knolls has some properties in Nassau where the apartments are SOLD not rented to seniors and they are run well and have no problems.

What gives me pause is you say this is a Fairfield Community. They have a very bad reputation as a rental management company. I don't even know why they are allowed to use the name "The Knolls," since those were all developed by The Benjamin Companies.

I would say avoid it because of Fairfield.

I also think that is a lot of rent considering how far out on LI the complex is. You may be able to rent a little house for that kind of money instead and have more privacy and any pet you wish.

PS: You just say the rent includes water and garbage. Would you have to pay your own heat/hot water? If so, then I think the rental price is a TOTAL ripoff.
I spoke to the people at the Knolls today and they said they were never affiliated with The Benjamin Companies? They said that these were all strickly Fairfield Properties. I have my sister in-law going there thursday to take a look at the property for me. I trust her opinion as she lives in Oyster Bay Cove and knows what a nice property looks like.

If I could afford to live by her thats where I would be, but the prices in that area are thru the roof.....I will be happy to just get back home, and I am just signing a 1 year lease so I can leave if I'm not happy. The best part about this location is that all my family & friends live within a 3 mile radius of this location. Thanks for the replies and keep them comming if anyone has any experiance with this community.

Old 03-24-2010, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboy2141 View Post
I spoke to the people at the Knolls today and they said they were never affiliated with The Benjamin Companies? They said that these were all strickly Fairfield Properties. I have my sister in-law going there thursday to take a look at the property for me. I trust her opinion as she lives in Oyster Bay Cove and knows what a nice property looks like.

If I could afford to live by her thats where I would be, but the prices in that area are thru the roof.....I will be happy to just get back home, and I am just signing a 1 year lease so I can leave if I'm not happy. The best part about this location is that all my family & friends live within a 3 mile radius of this location. Thanks for the replies and keep them comming if anyone has any experiance with this community.
Then it is a totally different "Knolls" than the ones I know:

Residential Gallery

Just be careful with Fairfield ... seems they routinely try and cheat people out of their security, etc. ... run a search on C-D LI to see what I mean ...

Here's a few informative and recent posts about them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13266332-post8.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13266918-post10.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12883976-post4.html

Old 03-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Then it is a totally different "Knolls" than the ones I know:

Residential Gallery

Just be careful with Fairfield ... seems they routinely try and cheat people out of their security, etc. ... run a search on C-D LI to see what I mean ...

Here's a few informative and recent posts about them:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13266332-post8.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/13266918-post10.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/12883976-post4.html
This place is nothing like the ones I read here. This is all new and there are no window a/c this is C/A I think the complaints were from some older complexes that may be in disrepair now. I will only be renting for a year so if they turn out to be turds I can leave after my lease is up. Thanks for the heads up on the security deposit scam, I will make sure to address that when and If I sign a lease with them. Here is a link to the community I am looking at, Thanks for your help!!
Fairfield Properties / Fairfield Apartment Living - Fairfield Knolls At Port Jefferson Station

Old 03-24-2010, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronxboy2141 View Post
This place is nothing like the ones I read here. This is all new and there are no window a/c this is C/A I think the complaints were from some older complexes that may be in disrepair now. I will only be renting for a year so if they turn out to be turds I can leave after my lease is up. Thanks for the heads up on the security deposit scam, I will make sure to address that when and If I sign a lease with them. Here is a link to the community I am looking at, Thanks for your help!!
Fairfield Properties / Fairfield Apartment Living - Fairfield Knolls At Port Jefferson Station
Hopefully you will have much better luck than those other people since this place is on the new side.

One bit of advice I can give you is to photograph everything before you move in and take photographs after you clean up and move out in case they try and accuse you of ruining anything at the end of your lease.

Old 05-08-2010, 01:53 PM

206 posts, read 573,782 times
I am considering Fairfield because I want something in the Port Jeff School district that will allow a small dog for around $1600 tops. But all I hear is bad things about them.

Housing is hard out here!!

Old 05-08-2010, 01:56 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntbeebe View Post
I am considering Fairfield because I want something in the Port Jeff School district that will allow a small dog for around $1600 tops. But all I hear is bad things about them.

Housing is hard out here!!
That's south of 347 off of Old Town -- isn't it considered Comsewogue?

Old 05-08-2010, 07:21 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
That's south of 347 off of Old Town -- isn't it considered Comsewogue?

Yes ...huge difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island