U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 01:07 PM

16,416 posts, read 27,941,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
You do have a point there.

For example, any alcohol related crimes, how are they counted? If someone drinks and drives but lives in Bellport but was pulled over in Bayshore, are they counting that stat for Bayshore where they caught him or Bellport for where he lives?
They would count it where it happened, not where the person who committed the crime lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 01:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,225,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
As long as we all agree Rocky Point RAWKS it's all good.
Sucks here Zilla

Stay where you are.

Crooks

Old 03-24-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The map excludes violent crimes.
What do you mean? It shows assault and homicide, but not rape (I guess they factor that into assault).

Old 03-24-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That's a trick question, they're exactly the same!

So the map doesn't include anything other than crime reported to the county police departments and no violent crime.

That leaves out a good portion of Nassau (which has several village PDs) and the entire east end, which is patrolled by town police departments. Although they must include some, because Glen Cove is listed and it has it's own police department. The few listed in places like Hempstead, Amityville, etc. I'd chalk up to what WJFM mentions - address on the report was by ZIP code, not actual municipality.

Still a great resource, but those are it's limitations.
It's showing Malverne, Rockville Centre and Lynbrook ...

Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM

16,685 posts, read 27,902,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That's a trick question, they're exactly the same!

Yes and no.

What's the population density? Are the towns the same size in square miles? Urban or rural? Nature of crimes?

If it's 40 petty crimes, vs 20 crimes of a more serious nature, I might lean toward the larger population.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
The article says "For Suffolk, the crime data displayed on this map includes data the Suffolk County Police Department publishes on its Web site, except harassment and domestic violence crimes."

Where can I find that web page ?

which town is better in your opinion ?
A town with 10000 residents and 20 crimes OR another with 20000 residents and 40 crimes ?

Hmmmm that is an excellent little nugget Zulu.
Thanks for pointing that out

How could a town like I dunno.....Lake Ronkonkoma have 20k people and 121 crimes while a town like maybe Rocky Point have 10k people have only like 15?

Could it be that Lake Ronkonkoma has 8X as much crime as Rocky Point.
Im no statistician but that does seem a tad odd?

Maybe if I combine the towns of Rocky Point/Sound Beach along with Lake Ronkonkoma/Ronkonkoma (Theyre the same towns ...right?) maybe it'll look a little better...maybe Im wrong...who knows?Ill leave that up to the experts.

That is an interesting point Zulu.Thanks for bringing it up.

Crooks

Old 03-24-2010, 01:28 PM

1,917 posts, read 4,494,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sucks here Zilla

Stay where you are.

Crooks

Don't worry about me. I do enjoy raping and pillaging your local roads on my motorcycles though.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Don't worry about me. I do enjoy raping and pillaging your local roads on my motorcycles though.

Awesome.

Enjoy.

Crooks

Old 03-24-2010, 01:32 PM

2,507 posts, read 6,008,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Hmmmm that is an excellent little nugget Zulu.
Thanks for pointing that out

How could a town like I dunno.....Lake Ronkonkoma have 20k people and 121 crimes while a town like maybe Rocky Point have 10k people have only like 15?

Could it be that Lake Ronkonkoma has 8X as much crime as Rocky Point.
Im no statistician but that does seem a tad odd?

Maybe if I combine the towns of Rocky Point/Sound Beach along with Lake Ronkonkoma/Ronkonkoma (Theyre the same towns ...right?) maybe it'll look a little better...maybe Im wrong...who knows?Ill leave that up to the experts.

That is an interesting point Zulu.Thanks for bringing it up.

Crooks
I was thinking more on the lines of New Cassel, you should check it out. For the home prices, its a steal. I'm just saying that this report is very accurate though, if not then its hard to depend on the numbers....

And you are very welcome !

Old 03-24-2010, 01:33 PM

217 posts, read 186,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What do you mean? It shows assault and homicide, but not rape (I guess they factor that into assault).
I was joking to get crooks going - i keyed, i keyed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or