U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 08:28 AM

16,574 posts, read 27,189,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The only thing Im confused by OBH/TriSean is that RP has a pretty strong retal base (if not the largest between Port Jeff-Riverhead )and doesent seem consistent with the theory. Miller Place reaaly has no retail and is 3x as high per Newsday.

Im curious about the "spike"?
DWI alley is VERY bad in Mt Sinai too and it doesent seem to chart.

THe data is very inconsistent. How did 3v fare. I would think Stony Brook might be pretty high too because of the College?

Did anyone compare Newsday to c-ds data?

RP, when compared to the Ronks, doesn't have nearly as much retail. Portion Rd and Hawkins make up a fairly large number of shops. Several supermarkets, a bunch of banks, umpteen fast food joints, health clubs, tattoo parlor, bars, etc.

Just how long is DWI alley in Mt Sinai -- 2 miles? Depending upon where the cop is and the drunk is first seen, by the time said drunk is pulled over, they could very well be in Miller Place or Port.

Stony Brook has the 347/25A crime data divided between business and residential. Over the 10 month period, theft was evenly divided between retail and residential locations (10 and 10) Robbery: 2 on Rte 347, one residential. Burglary: 2 - residential on the same street, same date. (duplicate complaint or two unlucky homeowners?) Property damage: Residential, BUT on 25A. Other: 4 Criminal mischief; 2 busier streets, 2 quieter streets, all appear residential.

Setauket/East Setauket also appears to be evenly split between business and residential crime.

Old Field, with it's own PD, has 1 crime, a burglary, reported in 10 months.

USB has it's own police as well as it's own zip code (11794) so it does not appear on the map.

Now one thing I don't believe anyone has taken into account is that this 10 month window incorporates a few major holidays -- is there an uptick in crime amongst areas with heavy commercial presence during the period starting around Thanksgiving through New Years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 08:35 AM

7,658 posts, read 15,948,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
RP, when compared to the Ronks, doesn't have nearly as much retail. Portion Rd and Hawkins make up a fairly large number of shops. Several supermarkets, a bunch of banks, umpteen fast food joints, health clubs, tattoo parlor, bars, etc.

Just how long is DWI alley in Mt Sinai -- 2 miles? Depending upon where the cop is and the drunk is first seen, by the time said drunk is pulled over, they could very well be in Miller Place or Port.

Stony Brook has the 347/25A crime data divided between business and residential. Over the 10 month period, theft was evenly divided between retail and residential locations (10 and 10) Robbery: 2 on Rte 347, one residential. Burglary: 2 - residential on the same street, same date. (duplicate complaint or two unlucky homeowners?) Property damage: Residential, BUT on 25A. Other: 4 Criminal mischief; 2 busier streets, 2 quieter streets, all appear residential.

Setauket/East Setauket also appears to be evenly split between business and residential crime.

Old Field, with it's own PD, has 1 crime, a burglary, reported in 10 months.

USB has it's own police as well as it's own zip code (11794) so it does not appear on the map.

Now one thing I don't believe anyone has taken into account is that this 10 month window incorporates a few major holidays -- is there an uptick in crime amongst areas with heavy commercial presence during the period starting around Thanksgiving through New Years?

Sorry OBH I meant in comparison to MP.

I didnt realize SUSB had its own Zip and I forgot about the police.

DWI alley is pretty bad...at one time it was nothing but bars from PJ to RP.

Still plenty.I stay off the roads late.

Crooks

Old 03-25-2010, 08:38 AM

16,574 posts, read 27,189,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Sorry OBH I meant in comparison to MP.

I didnt realize SUSB had its own Zip and I forgot about the police.

DWI alley is pretty bad...at one time it was nothing but bars from PJ to RP.

Still plenty.I stay off the roads late.

Crooks

Now you tell me MP......LOL

The back roads from PJ heading east are where a lot of guys try to fly under the proverbial radar. I've seen some scary stuff on Shore Rd, Lower Rocky Point Rd.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Now you tell me MP......LOL

The back roads from PJ heading east are where a lot of guys try to fly under the proverbial radar. I've seen some scary stuff on Shore Rd, Lower Rocky Point Rd.
Me too.

In and out of PJ Vill through SB backroads are deadly.

RP is bad on the bypass.

Cops are on it.

Word of caution.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:20 AM

2,845 posts, read 8,771,382 times
Crooks - Miller Place seems like it's got a lot of strip malls with big parking lots. A good number of crimes were thefts from cars along 25A....maybe that's why? Like alexei mentioned, it doesn't seem like DWIs even factor into this map. Maybe that's still considered a violation of "traffic law" even though it's a felony? I dunno.

Also, I don't remember seeing anything near the LIRR station in Ronkonkoma. Maybe the MTA Police takes all of those? I always see those cops down by the LIRR in Wantagh.

I'm just guessing here. I don't know anything for sure. Newsday map is far from perfect!

Old 03-25-2010, 10:37 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,539,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Crooks - Miller Place seems like it's got a lot of strip malls with big parking lots. A good number of crimes were thefts from cars along 25A....maybe that's why? Like alexei mentioned, it doesn't seem like DWIs even factor into this map. Maybe that's still considered a violation of "traffic law" even though it's a felony? I dunno.

Also, I don't remember seeing anything near the LIRR station in Ronkonkoma. Maybe the MTA Police takes all of those? I always see those cops down by the LIRR in Wantagh.

I'm just guessing here. I don't know anything for sure. Newsday map is far from perfect!
Yes the MTA patrol the LIRR stations. Plus in Ronkonkoma's case, they SCPD is always around there. That area used to be pretty bad, back before there was the parking garage and back before they rebuilt the bridge over the tracks.

They have cleaned it up quite a bit over there. But things still happen there, mainly smashing car windows and stealing stuff out of cars.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:02 AM

2,471 posts, read 5,867,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Yes the MTA patrol the LIRR stations. Plus in Ronkonkoma's case, they SCPD is always around there. That area used to be pretty bad, back before there was the parking garage and back before they rebuilt the bridge over the tracks.

They have cleaned it up quite a bit over there. But things still happen there, mainly smashing car windows and stealing stuff out of cars.
Thats a good point, did not think of it. Ronkonkoma takes the burden of the petty thefts in the park and ride lot for everybody who uses it. I'm sure quite a few people from Brookhaven also use the Ronks line to escape from the PJ line.
I drive past the lot everyday, those cars are sitting ducks, especially the ones at the far end of the lot.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:13 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,048,936 times
Lets get real folks this "crime data" from newsday is waaaaay off. C'mon look at the crime stats for mastic beach (0), mastic, and shirly. 6 pages of Kool-aid drinking. My buddy in Rocky Point had his car broken into and his report number for 2010 was over 200,000. The Cop told him he was the 23rd car that week.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Lets get real folks this "crime data" from newsday is waaaaay off. C'mon look at the crime stats for mastic beach (0), mastic, and shirly. 6 pages of Kool-aid drinking. My buddy in Rocky Point had his car broken into and his report number for 2010 was over 200,000. The Cop told him he was the 23rd car that week.
Im sorry if your town posted poorly.
We all agree this is not accurate but dont lie about RP, I read the blotter and know the cops...its pretty safe here all things considered.

Crooks

Old 03-25-2010, 02:02 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,170,406 times
What "things are you considering" Crooks? I don't particularly feel any bit unsafe in RP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or