Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 06:43 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times

Advertisements

Not enough BBQ joints in suffolk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 11:24 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,144,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Not enough BBQ joints in suffolk.
Totally Agree. Eldorado isn't bad but i've definitely had better.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
What happened to Fatty Beltbuckles in Rocky point? That was a decent place.
Last I looked, this isn't Italian food!

Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Last I looked, this isn't Italian food!
Lets face it. LI is flooded with Italian food but in my opinion it is so passe, overplayed, and watered down. It is rare to find Italian food that makes you want to keep eating even when you are full.

Now real BBQ...That is heaven. Ribs, beef brisket, hot links, pulled pork with sides of mashed potatoes, cole slaw, green beans, corn bread, and Ice cold beer. Thats where it's at.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:48 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
LIC..I wouldn't disagree with you that LI has more than a fair share of so-so Italian restaurants. However, BBQ up north is not real...let's face it, its like Caleeefornians thinking their pineapple and tofu pizza is real.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
LIC..I wouldn't disagree with you that LI has more than a fair share of so-so Italian restaurants. However, BBQ up north is not real...let's face it, its like Caleeefornians thinking their pineapple and tofu pizza is real.
Your right. It's too bad and maybe someday someone will establish a worthy place here just like Italians do throughout the country. Every state I have been to usually has a really good Italian place because an Italian planted his roots there.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:12 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
I have eaten in a number of very good Italian restaurants on Long Island. I think it's becoming fashionable to knock Italian food lately. Of course, I truly doubt that most who complain really dine out alot or have any significant culinary experience.
Just ask anyone from Brooklyn or Queens how good their restaurants are and you realize Long Island is a culinary wasteland filled with unsophisticated palates.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I have eaten in a number of very good Italian restaurants on Long Island. I think it's becoming fashionable to knock Italian food lately. Of course, I truly doubt that most who complain really dine out alot or have any significant culinary experience.
Just ask anyone from Brooklyn or Queens how good their restaurants are and you realize Long Island is a culinary wasteland filled with unsophisticated palates.
As a whole,yes. You just have to find the diamond in the rough. I used to frequent Little Italy but don't get too many chances to go back nowadays. One of those diamonds is Caruso's. I had take out from there for the second time last night and they again left me happy and full, especially with the fresh mozzarella. Alot of basic italian places but like me you have to always look for the best and never settle. I had a place called Il Miradoro which was down port on west broadway by the old james bay brewery, unfortunately they have closed in the last year. Now I have to take a shot with Mario's again. I haven't been there since the new owners took over but the prices seamed to rise a little which annoys the hell out of me. Just what we need. Higher priced food in a tough economy, so we will see if it is worth it.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
As a whole,yes. You just have to find the diamond in the rough. I used to frequent Little Italy but don't get too many chances to go back nowadays. One of those diamonds is Caruso's. I had take out from there for the second time last night and they again left me happy and full, especially with the fresh mozzarella. Alot of basic italian places but like me you have to always look for the best and never settle. I had a place called Il Miradoro which was down port on west broadway by the old james bay brewery, unfortunately they have closed in the last year. Now I have to take a shot with Mario's again. I haven't been there since the new owners took over but the prices seamed to rise a little which annoys the hell out of me. Just what we need. Higher priced food in a tough economy, so we will see if it is worth it.
Someone has to pay for all of the improvements, fines, and rebuilds.

Marios was crapola before the new owners took over. It's local and I still have yet to check it out. I think it was a gamble keeping the name. Many of locals still associate it with the bar scene. The parking lot is almost always jumping -- perhaps they are doing something right.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Someone has to pay for all of the improvements, fines, and rebuilds.

Marios was crapola before the new owners took over. It's local and I still have yet to check it out. I think it was a gamble keeping the name. Many of locals still associate it with the bar scene. The parking lot is almost always jumping -- perhaps they are doing something right.
Marios was fantastic during the 80's and then had it's ups and downs in the 90's and 00's. Raising the prices, eliminating their well known early bird, but redecorating surely doesn't sound like a winning combination but I can't jump to conclusions before trying them out so we will see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island