Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-20-2010, 04:54 PM

85 posts, read 233,365 times

Advertisements

Been thinking about adding a deck to the backyard entryway, but realized that it would add to "living space" and raise taxes on property. then I thought "what if I were just make a very large cement stoop with railings"? Would this still be considered living space as per the Town of Huntington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2010, 03:00 PM

407 posts, read 966,702 times
I don't know the Huntington laws, but I can tell you that in the past....some people have put up a free standing deck that was not attached to the house, it was less than an inch from the house, but not touching in any way....and they avoided any taxes doing it this way.

Old 03-21-2010, 06:44 PM

214 posts, read 459,192 times
Town of Huntington town code can be accessed online...look on the left side of webpage

http://town.huntington.ny.us/

Old 03-27-2010, 09:25 AM

87 posts, read 559,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Spice View Post
Been thinking about adding a deck to the backyard entryway, but realized that it would add to "living space" and raise taxes on property. then I thought "what if I were just make a very large cement stoop with railings"? Would this still be considered living space as per the Town of Huntington?
I believe that inch away from the structure may hold some truth. Definitely call or stop by the Town of Huntington to get instant answers.

I ran into an issue with a deck at a home we were looking at recently as it didnt have a CO and it was huge. Spoke to the town and they said if the deck is 8" from the ground or less, a CO is not required therefore, not raising your taxes. We inquired b/c we wanted to get an idea of how much the taxes may get bumped up. Again, it would serve your best interests to contact the town and ask. I wouldn't give them your addy though...

Old 03-28-2010, 06:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
It no longer makes a difference if the deck is attached to house or not.
A deck is a deck.

Huntington is pretty tough with its codes, I would not try to split hairs with them.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:23 AM

87 posts, read 559,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
It no longer makes a difference if the deck is attached to house or not.
A deck is a deck.
How recent is this KB? I had someone tell me recently that if it was an inch away from the structure, it did not require a CO. I don't believe everything people tell me but it seemed as if he had recently done some research (within 2 weeks).

I did speak to the town about a deck being 8" off the ground or less was able to be constructed without a CO. And yes, the Town of Huntington is definitely tough.

Thanks for providing the added feedback KB!

Old 03-28-2010, 04:29 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,540,895 times
I had a cleint who built a deck less than 8" last year, except that most of the deck was 8" but some was 10"-12".....who the Town crushed this guy. In the end in my opinion, build what you want, get the permit, pay alittle more in taxes and everyone one is happy. Its hard to skirt around these permits, plus they can change them. Maybe I feel this way because I deal with many of these cases and see how fustrating they are for clients & me......

Old 03-29-2010, 08:53 AM

465 posts, read 1,709,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI BraveOne View Post
How recent is this KB? I had someone tell me recently that if it was an inch away from the structure, it did not require a CO. I don't believe everything people tell me but it seemed as if he had recently done some research (within 2 weeks).

I did speak to the town about a deck being 8" off the ground or less was able to be constructed without a CO. And yes, the Town of Huntington is definitely tough.

Thanks for providing the added feedback KB!
going through the CO process now for a detached deck in town of Huntington. You def need a CO for detached , mine is more than 8" from ground and about 10 feet from house. You'll probably need a final survey to for a detached deck, I did. That was when the can of worms opened up.

If you getting CO after its built, it depends on the bldg inspector who comes to inspect. Some are more strict than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island