Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM

34 posts, read 154,261 times

Advertisements

I need a good roofer to put on a new roof ? I am looking at 2 roofers , but not sure yet . I would like to check out other roofers for better prices . So far i got 9000 dollars as a price. Does anyone know how much it costs to put new roof on a high ranch 1500 sq ft. upstairs and 1500 sq ft downstairs ? I have gotten some quotes, but seem high .Have you had good roofing done ? thanks, Johnny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 07:15 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
What brand of roof?

Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 PM

82 posts, read 189,467 times
I am guessing that you only have roofing over the 2nd floor square footage. Maybe a small 1st fl entry roof or so? Is the roof steep? A mild 5 pitch gable roof? a lot of hips and valleys? this all will effect the price.
All that being said, with 1500 sq ft of of living space on the 2nd floor I would be suprised if you had more than 20 to 22 square of roofing.
Are you stripping the existing roof off or installing over the existing? Based on the quote I would say you are stripping it and starting fresh.(the only way to go)
To supply and install a quality architectural shingle the highest price per square should be $225 complete but could be less. 22 sq @ 225= $4,950.
To strip 22 square of two existing layers and cart away all the debris should be around $2,000. This brings your number to around $7,000.
Keep in mind I have not seen your house but nine grand sounds high for what you described.

I am not a roofer but I'm in construction for 30 yrs and paid for many many roofs. There are some companys out there that hit the uneducated hard and it's not right. My advise is to get 3 or 4 quotes. Two is not enough when it comes to roofs. As you may know the big companys will give you the biggest price. Good Luck

P.S. There is not a lot of work out there right now. Your in the drivers seat to negotiate a good and fair price!

Old 03-30-2010, 07:18 AM

316 posts, read 989,308 times
I had this guy do my garage roof last year: JC Roofing 631-754-5280.
Excellent work, very reasonable price. Came on a recommendation from my house painter, who is also a friend.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2Ny View Post
I am guessing that you only have roofing over the 2nd floor square footage. Maybe a small 1st fl entry roof or so? Is the roof steep? A mild 5 pitch gable roof? a lot of hips and valleys? this all will effect the price.
All that being said, with 1500 sq ft of of living space on the 2nd floor I would be suprised if you had more than 20 to 22 square of roofing.
Are you stripping the existing roof off or installing over the existing? Based on the quote I would say you are stripping it and starting fresh.(the only way to go)
To supply and install a quality architectural shingle the highest price per square should be $225 complete but could be less. 22 sq @ 225= $4,950.
To strip 22 square of two existing layers and cart away all the debris should be around $2,000. This brings your number to around $7,000.
Keep in mind I have not seen your house but nine grand sounds high for what you described.

I am not a roofer but I'm in construction for 30 yrs and paid for many many roofs. There are some companys out there that hit the uneducated hard and it's not right. My advise is to get 3 or 4 quotes. Two is not enough when it comes to roofs. As you may know the big companys will give you the biggest price. Good Luck

P.S. There is not a lot of work out there right now. Your in the drivers seat to negotiate a good and fair price!
Thanks , It is a ranch and yes your assumption on how big it is is correct.It is 1500 sq ft including garage. Thanks for your viewpoint . 7000 sounds alot better . Boan and Kb thanks for your views. also Boan thanks for your advice , Johnny

Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 AM

Kb it is asphalt shingles dimensional . not 3 tab. not architectural. regular roof on ranch. it is not a flat roof.

Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM

20 posts, read 83,541 times
My neighbor is having their roof done right now by the company I recommended to you and there seems to be mold, black mold. Make sure you have the company check for that, it spreads like wild flowers. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island