Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Actually, part of getting to know an area is knowing the tax liability you will be forced to pay as long as you live here.

The taxes are out of control, and the primary reason is the compensation paid to civil servants, teachers and cops primarily. People have a right to know what exactly they are getting for the boatloads of money they are paying in taxes.

I know you want this silenced, but your desperate pleas to get the tax discussions removed shows that every single one of us on this site who are educating folks about civil servant compensation is successful.

Finally, you can always choose to not click on the thread, or spend your time learning and educating people in your home state that you love so much. The choice is yours.

Ah, garner favor among the masses!
Thanks for the education.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:56 AM

217 posts, read 254,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
I still can't believe how naive you think people on L.I. are? You think you discovered gold here. You think the people of L.I don't know this. They get a breakdown of were their money goes Every Year for ever they been mailing this out. When you pay your pay that big nut, you think the people don't look or question it? Do you really think they are brainless?? no really...
People see the tax breakdown, they don't understand the compensation structure of civil servants though They see a cops annual salary as $110k, many don't know they get that after 6 years in the SCPD, nor do many know that the $110k figure is the base amount before any days off or adjustments, and the # of days worked to get that $110k figure is slightly more than what a teacher works.
There is a lot of ignorance out there and people are educated on this site. If you don't like it - too bad. There are plenty of other forums you can post in where you won't have to see civil service contract secrets revealed.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:57 AM

217 posts, read 254,990 times
Quote:
You didn't know taxes were this high on L.I. before you moved here. That's what I'm implying....And if you did stop complaining.... You should have stayed where you were
Sorry Charlie, you are wrong. Who said I ever moved here?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Joe,
Just answer me this and I'll be done.....How old are you? And what do you do for a living? Answer these two simple questions my friend...

Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Scott, despite your brilliant look back into history, Walter Greenspan posted in this very thread an article from the WSJ showing how civil servant's real compensation has grown significantly relative to private sector compensation.

This is not a matter of timing in the business cycle, it's the value of the benefits that civil servants get in additional to their clockwork raises, which exceed private sector compensation growth.

It's a structural issue which cannot be sustained - ie: government employees cannot pay for themselves via taxes, they need private sector employees to pay for them. Private sector employees can only lose so much of their income to pay for civil servants before a backlash - and welcome to 2010.

Finally, the SCPD and NCPD jobs were highly desired jobs once Gulotta artificially inflated compensation, irrespective of the early 2000's when the mortgage business was booming and wall street bonuses were huge.
Gulotta didn't run both Nassau and Suffolk as far as I can remember ...

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Gulotta didn't run both Nassau and Suffolk as far as I can remember ...
Maybe a 20 year old kid wouldn't know that...you know what I'm saying

Old 04-01-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
It's not fair to look at it this way.
If you're in the building, you're at work.
I travel for work often. Believe me, airport time is work time. If my job didn't require it, i'd be home.
It's not usually client billable time though so it isn't that "appreciated" by the employer. (Just sayin'.)

Old 04-01-2010, 10:16 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Not surprised, this thread is still going.....
Big front page article in today's WSJ detailing how towns and counties across the U.S. are pushing back on unions, particularly public sector unions - giving them the big finger when it comes to wage negotiations. I like the quote in the article "The unions have priced themselves out of a job". Nice.........

Old 04-01-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I was just thinking about something.
We always use the term "Teachers vs. Cops" on this forum, and when you really think about it, it's not the right term.
Basically, teachers and cops would be considered on the same team because we all have the same basic gripes about both, we gang up on both.

I think from now on these topics should be called:
"Taxpayers vs. Teachers and Cops"

Nevermind. I'm going back to bed.
Disregard.
What? I'm bored.
Because the original post of this thread was about a cop's editorial/letter to the editor response to one that had previously been written by a teacher.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Joe,
Back and forth all day everyday with this Cop and Teacher nonsense. Don't you ever give it a rest? Take a break from this, relax....You're obsessive, which leads to more problems......
How are you going to feel when the police and teacher union organizers from LI get to Midlothian, VA?

Will you welcome them with open arms so your former "comrades" (VA police) can get the great deal you got out of NY on your property tax dime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island