Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:07 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times

Advertisements

The way the Government is growing ...soon it's going to be a you vs. me attitude. It's happening already, and only going to get worse. Hey some voted for change and some didn't, you know?

Old 03-31-2010, 11:25 AM

290 posts, read 583,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Tell us why you are so happy with the status quo when it comes to the state of property taxes on LI.

Please expose your secrets to complacency so the rest of us can forget there is any problem with our high and rising property taxes too.
Oh, there's no complacency here; however, rather than singling out one or two groups as "the reason" why taxes are so high, because, in many cases, they're not, why not go after the big pictures:
1> redundant levels of government;
2> illegal apartments;
3> corrupt & incompetent politicians;
4> [and this one hurts] agenda driven groups;
5> lazy media members;

How's that?

Last edited by donkey95; 03-31-2010 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-31-2010, 11:32 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
How to get rich in NYS - be a teacher, cop, fire-fighter, that's how.
No need to invest your money, you have the NYS suckers, um, I meant, taxpayers paying you for LIFE!
Life liberty & the pursuit if happiness. You can be whatever you want in this great nation. Be it a Doctor, cop, teacher, garbage man, dentist, stockbroker, banker, whatever. You have the control in your life.

When the economy was booming and those wall street investor types were living large, buying flash cars, bigger houses, better toys. Teachers, and cops were living comfortable earning a living wage. No one complained. Now the economy is in a near Depression, people are in debt upto their eyeballs, and well, Wall street, ain't so great. Cops and teachers arent living any better than they used to, but because it's a steady paycheck they're to blame.

These things go in cycles, it's just the way it is.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckthedog View Post
Life liberty & the pursuit if happiness. You can be whatever you want in this great nation. Be it a Doctor, cop, teacher, garbage man, dentist, stockbroker, banker, whatever. You have the control in your life.

When the economy was booming and those wall street investor types were living large, buying flash cars, bigger houses, better toys. Teachers, and cops were living comfortable earning a living wage. No one complained. Now the economy is in a near Depression, people are in debt upto their eyeballs, and well, Wall street, ain't so great. Cops and teachers arent living any better than they used to, but because it's a steady paycheck they're to blame.

These things go in cycles, it's just the way it is.
Married to a teacher here, but this is nonsense.

What about people who don't work on Wall st? They are supposed to continue to foot the bill for poorly negotiated union contracts to the point where they are priced out of living on LI? This is the kind of union talking point that annoys people so much.

A SCPD cop is doing better than a lot of people who worked wall st jobs during the boom. What percentage of people on Wall st were making 200K and over? Not everyone is a broker making six figures. I know people who worked for Merrill aand Morgan Stanley who were making 150-175K during the boom....great salaries but they didn't get free pensions, a 20 year out and free health care.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Married to a teacher here, but this is nonsense.

What about people who don't work on Wall st? They are supposed to continue to foot the bill for poorly negotiated union contracts to the point where they are priced out of living on LI? This is the kind of union talking point that annoys people so much.

A SCPD cop is doing better than a lot of people who worked wall st jobs during the boom. What percentage of people on Wall st were making 200K and over? Not everyone is a broker making six figures. I know people who worked for Merrill aand Morgan Stanley who were making 150-175K during the boom....great salaries but they didn't get free pensions, a 20 year out and free health care.
google: average pay at Goldman Sachs, it comes up with $622K

I'm not sticking up for the teachers/fireman or anyone else who rakes in 'excessive' pay. I just don't think it's the norm. and earning 90k as a fireman or teacher on Long Island is NOT out of line as a living wage

BTW, I'm not a teacher, cop or fireman or married to one.

Last edited by Buckthedog; 03-31-2010 at 11:58 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 03-31-2010, 12:04 PM

Quote:
google: average pay at Goldman Sachs, it comes up with $622K

I'm not sticking up for the teachers/fireman or anyone else who rakes in 'excessive' pay. I just don't think it's the norm. and earning 90k as a fireman or teacher on Long Island is NOT out of line as a living wage

BTW, I'm not a teacher, cop or fireman or married to one.
The average family income on LI is less than 90K, so how does what you say make any sense.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The average family income on LI is less than 90K, so how does what you say make any sense.
Is that one income or two? Estimated median household income for lindenhurst is just shy of 80k (about where my house is income wise) and after taxes, interest, energy, food, DMV fees I'm barely able to survive.

I'm looking at the current pay scale for Lindenhurst teachers (seethroughNY). A teacher with my education level, and years of service I have at my current job is $64,265. Is that out of line? IF I put myself through college to the point of a masters degree +75 credits my salary would be $84,263. Is that out of line?

These are living wages is all I'm trying to say. LI is an expensive place to live, and not just because of teachers. Look at medicaid and welfare fraud, and Albany's 'discretionary' items.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:41 PM

128 posts, read 340,720 times
Quote:
Is that one income or two? Estimated median household income for lindenhurst is just shy of 80k (about where my house is income wise) and after taxes, interest, energy, food, DMV fees I'm barely able to survive.

I'm looking at the current pay scale for Lindenhurst teachers (seethroughNY). A teacher with my education level, and years of service I have at my current job is $64,265. Is that out of line? IF I put myself through college to the point of a masters degree +75 credits my salary would be $84,263. Is that out of line?

These are living wages is all I'm trying to say. LI is an expensive place to live, and not just because of teachers. Look at medicaid and welfare fraud, and Albany's 'discretionary' items.

What is the TOTAL compensation not just the salary? Are you factoring in their healthcare and pension come retirement time? Give me that # and well see how it stacks up against an individual in the private sector.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:42 PM

Quote:

It's out of line if you figure that a teacher (84K) married to a cop (125K with over time) are making 209K a year with 1) a masters 2)probably no college or an associates in CJ at most, while 2 people I work with with, for instance, who are married, 1 with a 4 year degree and another with a masters one with 5 and one with 7 years experience, make a combined 150K in a profitable industry, and they have to pay for their own retirement with a 50% employer match up to 5%. And that is the case with most people working non-public sector jobs on LI. What do you think the average salary at a company like CA or Motorola is, never mind their overall comp packages compared to teachers and cops?

And guess what?

These are the people paying public sector salaries.

Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OvertaxedinMass View Post
What is the TOTAL compensation not just the salary? Are you factoring in their healthcare and pension come retirement time? Give me that # and well see how it stacks up against an individual in the private sector.

Using the numbers thrown around in this thread, the teacher makes less than what would be considered average on LI during their working career to justify what they get in retirement. This is logical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island