Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 12:25 PM

217 posts, read 254,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why do teachers get to write off things they purchase for work, on their taxes, and yet I purchase things for work and I'm not a teacher and I can't?
You can actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 12:34 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Why do teachers get to write off things they purchase for work, on their taxes, and yet I purchase things for work and I'm not a teacher and I can't?

You can write off to the extent that you itemize your deductions and it exceeds 2% of AGI. If you take the standard deduction - you are out of luck.

Old 03-30-2010, 01:54 PM

138 posts, read 270,634 times
Quote:
and why do businesses get to write off expensive lunches/dinners/hotels??? Really why not question many of the small private businesses (diners, restaurants) that dont even acurately declare their earnings. Teachers make such nice scapegoats...and the products they buy are going for our childrens supplies.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:07 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
Although poorly written and disjointed, the article does speak some truth. I think today's parents in general do a much worse job at instilling manners, values, and work ethic in their children. How many times do you see children say "please" and "thank you"? Studies have shown that cheating in school is much more accepted and rampant than in the past. Today's children have it all and they have it right now. They have a certain sense of entitlement that didn't exist in prior generations. (Their government isn't doing much to help set a good example either.)

While I don't think childhood obesity is as prevalent on LI, there is no doubt this generation is less active than past ones. I also think children are asked to take on too many more extracurricular activities than ever before. There doesn't seem to be a balance between just "being a kid" and fulfilling your parent's dreams for you (or your own for that matter).

That said, this poor parenting has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with teacher compensation and our bloated tax system on LI. Confusing the two issues is disingenuous.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:18 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,344,339 times
I'm letting television raise my kids. And Youtube. Forgot about Youtube.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I'm letting television raise my kids. And Youtube. Forgot about Youtube.
So you are raising another Martin Tupper (HBO series "Dream On" -- 1990-1996) whose mom left him veg in front of the TV when he was a kid:

Quote:
The show was notable for its frequent use of clips from old movies to express Martin's inner life and feelings, which lent it much of its quirky appeal. The flashbacks of old film and television show scenes also had the immediate appeal, reminding viewers about the impact of TV on their consciousness.

Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Although poorly written and disjointed, the article does speak some truth. I think today's parents in general do a much worse job at instilling manners, values, and work ethic in their children. How many times do you see children say "please" and "thank you"? Studies have shown that cheating in school is much more accepted and rampant than in the past. Today's children have it all and they have it right now. They have a certain sense of entitlement that didn't exist in prior generations. (Their government isn't doing much to help set a good example either.)

While I don't think childhood obesity is as prevalent on LI, there is no doubt this generation is less active than past ones. I also think children are asked to take on too many more extracurricular activities than ever before. There doesn't seem to be a balance between just "being a kid" and fulfilling your parent's dreams for you (or your own for that matter).

That said, this poor parenting has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with teacher compensation and our bloated tax system on LI. Confusing the two issues is disingenuous.
That's what I didn't understand about the whole editorial! What was he mixing the two subjects up for? "Your kids are such brats that teachers deserve the excessive compensation packages! Make your kids less bratty and maybe the unions will think about making less demands!"

Old 03-30-2010, 09:45 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
Beyond stupid, one thing has nothing to do with the other....wtf?

Old 03-30-2010, 10:22 PM

239 posts, read 612,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The paper and the editorial is gargage. To sum it up, this clown is saying property taxes are higher because teachers are paid more because parents throw all the responsibility of raising children on the teachers. What a complete waste and utter disgrace. Writers are clowns, people who can't hack it in society so they write about things that have been already written with a twist of their own agenda sown in.
Ouch, ouch, OUCH!
- A teacher/aspiring writer

Back to the topic: In my opinion, behavioral problems are different than they once were. I don't want to reveal where I teach, so please pardon the cryptic nature of this post, but horrible things are going on in some LI schools. Neither the students nor the teachers feel safe. I don't know if that warrants higher pay and benefits, but the author does have a point regarding behavior issues. Times, they are a-changin'. (I'm 30. Am I allowed to say that yet)?

Old 03-31-2010, 09:50 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Ouch, ouch, OUCH!
- A teacher/aspiring writer

Back to the topic: In my opinion, behavioral problems are different than they once were. I don't want to reveal where I teach, so please pardon the cryptic nature of this post, but horrible things are going on in some LI schools. Neither the students nor the teachers feel safe. I don't know if that warrants higher pay and benefits, but the author does have a point regarding behavior issues. Times, they are a-changin'. (I'm 30. Am I allowed to say that yet)?
A friend of mine who is a teacher and has been teaching for 30 years calls schools the "insane asylum". I think the horrible things were probably learned from the breathen over in NYC schools. I love when the parents say "not my little darlings" "not my kid". Look to the parents, most of the time, the kid is emulating behaviors found in the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island