U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM

15,537 posts, read 15,238,402 times
Default LI Press Editorial: Parents Look at Yourselves Before Complaining About Teacher Compensation!

Editorial about taxpayers who complain about teacher compensation:

Off the Reservation: Teach Them Well | Long Island Press

There is so much wrong with this editorial, I don't know where to begin. Really. I am speechless. It seems like it should be two separate editorials merged into one (property taxpayers' problems turns into teachers' problems in the classroom with children). Let's try anyway. Even though the author gets some things "right," he quickly sweeps them under the rug and neatly shifts the blame on parents. What he got right, he didn't fully discuss but rather seems to only mention so he can "get that over with and look like he knows what is going on" ... it is more like he stated the real issues ACTUALLY CAUSING HIGH PROPERTY TAXES as "talking points" as a prelude to his real rant on parents:

Quote:
Teachers used to be financially undercompensated while working, but well taken care of in retirement. Over time the unions have whittled away at this notion and created an environment where teachers have incredible job security and are well compensated during both their work lives and their retired lives. Today, everything seems to favor the teacher, who has become the beneficiary of hard bargaining over many, many years.
Quote:
A dear friend of mine, who is an elementary school teacher (and will remain nameless), provided some extremely enlightening context to this debate in a way that only a teacher can. She agreed that some compensatory elements have gone too far and that the unions have unfairly positioned the teachers against the public. The union has also created an atmosphere of fear in which teachers are afraid to speak out. But she noted, with scores of examples from her recent classes, that teaching itself looks nothing like it used to.
I would have liked to hear more about the union creating an "atmosphere of fear" but he never discusses it.

The author incorrectly assumes all property taxpayers who think taxes are too high are parents and therefore are subject to the attack on parents. Pretty ridiculous assumption.

Author blames parents for teaching being harder than it has to these days as compared to the past, which I suppose is his "excuse" for why teachers get what they get, as if things like bullying and disobedient children are "new" and teachers of past generations never had to deal with it:

Quote:
We divorce one another, yell in the home and allow them to watch adult programs and play violent video games; then we wonder why bullying exists.
Hello! There was bullying before kids watched adult TV and played violent video games. And virtually all the other "faults" he finds with children occurred in the past too, perhaps with the exception of overuse of prescription medications.

At the end, the editorial has fully morphed from what I thought was a discussion of hard pressed property taxpayers and the beneficiaries of their taxes (unions and teachers) to an all-out attack on parents/taxpayers (as I noted before, the way he writes this he assumes all property taxpayers = parents with children in school as he starts with addressing property tax problems and ends with attacking "bad" or "negligent" parents as if these two things actually have something to do with one another).

Here is his closing sentence:

Quote:
But if we continue as a society to abdicate the role of parent and place the responsibility squarely on the shoulders of our teachers, then we shall reap what we sow.
So that's why we are reaping extremely high, and always climbing, property taxes? Because of bad parenting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2010, 08:45 AM

217 posts, read 53,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Editorial about taxpayers who complain about teacher compensation:

Off the Reservation: Teach Them Well | Long Island Press

There is so much wrong with this editorial, I don't know where to begin. Really. I am speechless. It seems like it should be two separate editorials merged into one (property taxpayers' problems turns into teachers' problems in the classroom with children). Let's try anyway. Even though the author gets some things "right," he quickly sweeps them under the rug and neatly shifts the blame on parents. What he got right, he didn't fully discuss but rather seems to only mention so he can "get that over with and look like he knows what is going on" ... it is more like he stated the real issues ACTUALLY CAUSING HIGH PROPERTY TAXES as "talking points" as a prelude to his real rant on parents:

I would have liked to hear more about the union creating an "atmosphere of fear" but he never discusses it.

The author incorrectly assumes all property taxpayers who think taxes are too high are parents and therefore are subject to the attack on parents. Pretty ridiculous assumption.

Author blames parents for teaching being harder than it has to these days as compared to the past, which I suppose is his "excuse" for why teachers get what they get, as if things like bullying and disobedient children are "new" and teachers of past generations never had to deal with it:

Hello! There was bullying before kids watched adult TV and played violent video games. And virtually all the other "faults" he finds with children occurred in the past too, perhaps with the exception of overuse of prescription medications.

At the end, the editorial has fully morphed from what I thought was a discussion of hard pressed property taxpayers and the beneficiaries of their taxes (unions and teachers) to an all-out attack on parents/taxpayers (as I noted before, the way he writes this he assumes all property taxpayers = parents with children in school as he starts with addressing property tax problems and ends with attacking "bad" or "negligent" parents as if these two things actually have something to do with one another).

Here is his closing sentence:

So that's why we are reaping extremely high, and always climbing, property taxes? Because of bad parenting?
The paper and the editorial is gargage. To sum it up, this clown is saying property taxes are higher because teachers are paid more because parents throw all the responsibility of raising children on the teachers. What a complete waste and utter disgrace. Writers are clowns, people who can't hack it in society so they write about things that have been already written with a twist of their own agenda sown in.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:15 AM

2,919 posts, read 2,805,222 times
Does the writer disclose if any members of his household are educators, work for the union, received any financial compensation from the union or is friends with teachers.
Seems less than an editorial and more like propaganda being espoused.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Does the writer disclose if any members of his household are educators, work for the union, received any financial compensation from the union or is friends with teachers.
Seems less than an editorial and more like propaganda being espoused.
The writer is actually the publisher of the LI Press.

The only teacher he mentions is a "dear friend who shall remain nameless."

Obviously he is her mouthpiece in this editorial.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:44 AM

2,929 posts, read 5,314,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
Writers are clowns, people who can't hack it in society so they write about things that have been already written with a twist of their own agenda sown in.
Shakespear, Mark Twain, and many others might be surprised to hear that.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Glad they have been dead for ages so they don't have to hear it!

Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM

217 posts, read 53,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Yes, how the profession/art has gone down the toilet.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:28 AM

206 posts, read 233,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The writer is actually the publisher of the LI Press.

The only teacher he mentions is a "dear friend who shall remain nameless."

Obviously he is her mouthpiece in this editorial.
Or, God forbid, merely expressing their opinion...

Old 03-30-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
Or, God forbid, merely expressing their opinion...
Expressing their opinion?

You mean expressing his opinion and his teacher friend's opinion?

Yeah that sounds about right.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:53 AM

5,860 posts, read 6,634,902 times
Why do teachers get to write off things they purchase for work, on their taxes, and yet I purchase things for work and I'm not a teacher and I can't?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island