Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,315 times

Advertisements

I have never thought about what type of people 7-11's attract. Like the other poster said, they are everywhere. Thebest of neighborhoods have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 11:36 AM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
I have never thought about what type of people 7-11's attract. Like the other poster said, they are everywhere. Thebest of neighborhoods have them.
it's not so much about the clientele, just the fact they are open 24/7, so there is always activity around them. As for the area around the Mayfair apartments, as stated, it's completely safe and well kept. You will be happy living in Commack until your tax bill appears

Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 PM

156 posts, read 309,466 times
Commack Taxes...what can I say except....Thank goodness I am out of here!
Vote Yes!!! Keep voting Yes!!! I'll be laughing in Raleigh

Old 04-22-2013, 03:31 PM

538 posts, read 1,007,674 times
I'm right behind ya!!!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:00 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Also, hardly any witches.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:13 PM

196 posts, read 418,825 times
We are moving into Commack from Nassau in June. We found during our extensive house search that generally speaking the houses the furthest north that you get into the school district have bigger lot sizes and more spread out. But the whole district seems great, I don't think we looked at single house that we did not like the location. Just keep in mind what school district you want to be in as living in the town of commack might mean different school districts. There are something like 4 or 5 districts that are in the Commack zip code. We love the area. I really feel like the Commack school district is one of the best buys on Long Island. They are a top school district but you can still get a great sized home for your money there.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:57 PM

352 posts, read 386,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breetai3 View Post
We are moving into Commack from Nassau in June. We found during our extensive house search that generally speaking the houses the furthest north that you get into the school district have bigger lot sizes and more spread out. But the whole district seems great, I don't think we looked at single house that we did not like the location. Just keep in mind what school district you want to be in as living in the town of commack might mean different school districts. There are something like 4 or 5 districts that are in the Commack zip code. We love the area. I really feel like the Commack school district is one of the best buys on Long Island. They are a top school district but you can still get a great sized home for your money there.
There's been a few comments about high property taxes in Commack.

Does anyone know how the tax rates compare among the various school districts in Commack? Are there large variations? I'm guessing the districts involved are Commack, Smithtown, Kings Park and Hauppauge; could a portion of Elwood be in there also?

What happens where the town line splits the district? Is there much difference in taxes between Smithtown and Huntington townships? Some friends were looking at homes in the area last year and I think they got the impression that taxes were higher in Smithtown than Huntington for equivalent properties.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:46 PM

196 posts, read 418,825 times
There is definitely a difference between school districts. Commack school taxes are the highest of the 4 you mentioned, but is also generally considered the best of those 4 so I suppose you get what you pay for.

We are moving to E. Northport but Commack school district. So we will be paying Commack school taxes which are high, but I have been told by residents that Huntington town taxes are lower than Smithtown. But the majority of your tax bill are school taxes so I don't think it makes a huge difference.

Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 AM

827 posts, read 3,094,492 times
When we were searching for a home, we started in Commack and what we found was the part that was the Town of Huntington (west of Commack Road), the taxes were much higher than the Town of Smithtown taxes (east of Commck Road). However, we found the ranches to be smaller without a dining room and a must for myself was a dining room..that's when we started our search in Kings Park. Our taxes are the Town of Smithtown with Kings Park schools and I've noticed that my taxes are a lot less in Kings Park than say the area by the high school or church in Kings Park. I notice the lower property taxes in Kings Park are right off of Indian Head Road to the east and west and north of Old Northport Road but south of Pulaski or Main Street. However, once you get near the high school (by Rumford Road area) or off of Kohr Road, the taxes hit about $10k and above. We love our area and our taxes are more reasonable than most locations in the area. As far as school districts, Kings Park is a small district and I did require a good district which is why we moved there. However, I remember hearing about how great Commack Schools are when I was househunting, some realtors informed me that it hasn't been a blue ribbon district for sometime. I'm not saying it's a bad district, it is a great district however, I do believe that if your child will succeed, they will succeed in any good district. I grew up in a small school district so maybe that's why I am comfortable with a smaller district. However, my elementary school, has a unique way of teaching. I can't recall the name for it but it's the only elementary school on LI that uses this method. It seemed very interesting when I looked it up. Wish I could remember the name of the way they teach!

I say, if you want an excellent district, go to Half Hollow Hills. Now, that's an excellent district!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:29 PM

21 posts, read 46,430 times
HI all, just found this post while searching for info on Kings Park. We've been looking in the Commack, EN, towns, and have been recently introduced---by a coworker who lives there- to KP. From what I've read online, it seems there is a problem with chemical odors coming from the asphalt plant and the dump on Old Northport and Commack roads. Some sites say residents are literally getting sick and the town is doing nothing about it. Can anyone shed light on this issue for us? Seems all of the homes we find are within close proximity to this area. We looked at San Remo, which is very nice, but very north for a daily commute to Queens county. Maybe driving up Indian Head is a possibility or along the Sagtikos??? Have driven through parts of town adjacent to the Sunken Meadow Parkway, just right of it, which seem pretty nice. Although we drove through on a weekend afternoon. Don't know what traffic is like during weekday rush.
Know the schools are ok, although read a recent letter by superint. stating the possibility of cutting 19 positions if the state doesn't supplement budget. Not good news. How big are class sizes in the intermediate school, 4th-5th? Any pertinent info would help. Appreciating your input.

We are currently looking at 2 homes in commack, both north of jericho tnpke: one in Smithtown township and the other in Huntington township. The one in Smithtown is smaller but has higher taxes. Don't understand really because up to now, all of the homes we've looked at on the Smithtown side have had lower taxes. Nonetheless, we are thinking that the Smithtown side offers more by the way of resident only beaches and all. Is this true and is it worth another 1k in taxes?

All input is greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island