Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 02:23 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
This may help: Long Island Zone - NYSTRA

They do get retiree health benefits.
Thank you for the link. It appears that some retired teachers get health care benefits. It's a negotiated item on a school district by school district basis. Does anyone have credible information on how many of Long Island's school districts still provide these benefits to currently retiring teachers? I'm asking because the teachers who I talk to say that they will not get health insurance in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 02:26 PM

416 posts, read 697,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Thank you for the link. It appears that some retired teachers get health care benefits. It's a negotiated item on a school district by school district basis. Does anyone have credible information on how many of Long Island's school districts still provide these benefits to currently retiring teachers? I'm asking because the teachers who I talk to say that they will not get health insurance in retirement.
Are you sure about that? The New York State Retired Teacher Association also gives the impression that all teachers who qualify for retiree benefits get reitree healthcare. See www.nysrta.org

Old 04-05-2010, 02:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
I think that this assumption running throughout this thread is false. Please provide a link to a source that verifies it. I know several teachers. They tell me that one of the obstacles to early retirement is that they will have to buy private health insurance until they are medicare eligible.

Since it is a basis of many of the arguments here, I just think someone should be able to provide a credible source.
Well, god forbid they can retire 10 or more years before everyone else (remember, now most people have to work PAST age 65 before getting social security) and have to pay their own way when it comes to health insurance like everyone else! Tell me one good reason why the taxpayers should foot the bill if they want to retire early?

fastrudy retired early and got medical insurance at 55 as part of the deal. I do not think he is lying, but if you do, then that's your choice.

There are many teachers who retire at regular retirement age and still are in the NYS medical insurance system, at taxpayer expense, when they belong on Medicare like everyone else. That is an even bigger issue than the early retirement schemes. Their families are also getting health insurance on our dime after retirement.

You can find any school district contract in NYS for either teachers or administrators here:

Teacher & Superintendent Contracts

For example, this is verbatim from page 40 of the Roslyn UFSD contract on seethroughny.net:

Quote:
The Board shall continue to pay 100% of the premium for individual or family health insurance for unit members who are currently retired and shall continue to pay 100% of the premium for individual or family health insurance for unit members who retired on or before June 30, 1994. Unit members who retired on or after July 1, 1994 shall contribute to their health insurance premium (individual or family) an amount equal to the same dollar amount of financial contribution that applies to active unit members in the year immediately prior to the employee's retirement. This dollar amount shall remain fixed throughout the life of the retiree.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Check the seethroughny database and do your own investigation instead of instigating and trying to discredit everyone else.

Where do the teachers "you know" work? Private school? Parochial school? It's a NEW YORK STATE system.

Maybe YOU want to pay unlimited property taxes but most of us don't.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Are you sure about that? The New York State Retired Teacher Association also gives the impression that all teachers who qualify for retiree benefits get reitree healthcare. See Welcome Retired Teachers - NYSRTA Home
Ignore the instigating.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Are you sure about that? The New York State Retired Teacher Association also gives the impression that all teachers who qualify for retiree benefits get reitree healthcare. See Welcome Retired Teachers - NYSRTA Home
This link, from within the site, leads me to believe that health benefits are negotiated on a district by district basis:

[url=http://www.nysrta.org/legislation_news.php?p=legislation_news"[/url]

I might be dense, but it appears that they are talking about legislation that prevents unions from negotiating away the health benefits enjoyed by their retirees in order to gain other benefits for those members who are not yet retired.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I think that this assumption running throughout this thread is false. Please provide a link to a source that verifies it. I know several teachers. They tell me that one of the obstacles to early retirement is that they will have to buy private health insurance until they are medicare eligible.

Since it is a basis of many of the arguments here, I just think someone should be able to provide a credible source.
Incorrect!

Thank you for playing!

Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Ignore the instigating.
It's not instigating. I'm just questioning what people are putting forward as "facts". This is public information. Surely someone can provide a definative source.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
This link, from within the site, leads me to believe that health benefits are negotiated on a district by district basis:

[url=http://www.nysrta.org/legislation_news.php?p=legislation_news"[/url]

I might be dense, but it appears that they are talking about legislation that prevents unions from negotiating away the health benefits enjoyed by their retirees in order to gain other benefits for those members who are not yet retired.
You're not dense.

You just have been brainwashed into accepting that you "must" pay unlimited property taxes and you "must" provide more for public employees than you yourself get.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You're not dense.

You just have been brainwashed into accepting that you "must" pay unlimited property taxes and you "must" provide more for public employees than you yourself get.
Why are you so upset? I'm just asking a question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island