Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:58 PM

11 posts, read 22,004 times

Advertisements

Myself and my husband will be moving to this area next year and i would welcome any advice you could give me on schools that I should be looking at for my 5 yr old (who will be 6 when we move). Here in Ireland she has just started her first year (junior infants) so unsure what or where she would be placed in a US school. I am told catholic schools are expensive ???

Old 04-04-2010, 04:03 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Most 6 year olds here are placed in first grade. I don't know what you would call expensive for private school. Catholic school is generally considered less expensive than a nonsectarian private school. If you are low income, some Catholic and nonsectarian private schools may offer some type of scholarship or tutition assistance. Most Long Island public schools, by American standards, are considered to be pretty good. Finding a good public school within New York City if you are a New York City resident is harder.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:42 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander329 View Post
A teacher cannot retire until 55 and collect a full pension. Perhaps people in other civil service professions can but certainly not teachers. Don't lump teachers in with other professions who you may hold grudges against.
Its not a question of "holding gridges", it is simply economic reality. Life expectancy has increased significantly. It is not uncommon to see some civil servants, including teachers, to be retired longer than they worked. Yet they draw subsidized health insurance and a generous guaranteed pension until they day they die. That scenario is unsustainable over the long run.

What worked in 1955 doesn't work today. We need to see significant changes to the retirement systems of the civil servant working force to keep Long Island competitive in being an area private sector working people want to live in. The private sector workforce is predominantly the engine that pays for the civil service workforce.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:55 PM

815 posts, read 2,051,606 times
Yet they draw subsidized health insurance and a generous guaranteed pension until they day they die

If you mean Medicaid, we paid for that. If you mean a district-funded health insurance, we accepted what the district offered. The generous guaranteed pension was also contributed to in every one of our paychecks, and district contributions are a matter of rule of law.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:04 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,146,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
Yet they draw subsidized health insurance and a generous guaranteed pension until they day they die

If you mean Medicaid, we paid for that. If you mean a district-funded health insurance, we accepted what the district offered. The generous guaranteed pension was also contributed to in every one of our paychecks, and district contributions are a matter of rule of law.
Yes, you paid a PORTION of the cost of your insurance. The diffference was made up by taxpayers. You paid a PORTION of your pension, taxpayers made up the difference.

I'm not looking to demonize the civil servants here, just pointing out the economic reality that the current scenario is unsustainable over the long haul.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:33 PM

239 posts, read 612,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Great post. You provide excellent insight. I do find it amusing that anyone who questions the compensation is labelled a "basher" around here. I guess that means we're onto something.

I really didn't mean for my post to give that impression. Most posters provide very reasonable, civil arguments, but there are a handful who are of the opinion that compensation and benefits aren't deserved because the job is so cushy, it's part time, an MS in education is a joke, etc. It's those things that are hurtful for a teacher to hear (or read in this case). As for the compensation? Hey, teachers pay school taxes too. Perhaps if they cut some of the 'perks,' it wouldn't be all that bad since property taxes would go down and teachers would essentially "break even"? I really have no idea. I'm horrible with economics and politics and whatnot. That's why I teach English.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:14 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Enjoy living and working in New Orleans, LA!

Please tell your union reps all about it and encourage them to go down there too and try and sign up the teachers in your new school district.

I think the teachers' unions need to spread their wings more instead of so rigidly focusing on just a few places like LI. If they grow their membership elsewhere, perhaps they will get too busy to focus on us so much and, hopefully, will soon consider us "tapped dry" and concentrate on conquering the rest of the country that currently has reasonable property tax rates.

It's the unions causing the problems with their unreasonable demands, NOT individual teachers.
I've seen you use this idea in several threads related to schools outside of LI. It makes me wonder how far reaching these evil unions are... where else are they?

To be honest, I just don't see where this is coming from beyond misery loves company and I certainly don't see how it would help LI in the long run. The reality is that you've created a monster which ultimately comes down to the insanely inflated home prices. If you want the best teachers, then you have to pay them enough to afford a home... so, it becomes a vicious cycle. The areas outside LI where you want to see these unions spread have affordable housing options - MANY reasonable options for a HOUSE at the 200k price point. Having the unions come in, double their salaries, and jack taxes to pay them enough for a 400-500k McMansions just doesn't make any sense.

The problem is that the 400-500k on LI gets you a 60 year old ranch on a tiny lot. Combine that with the taxes and think about where your new teachers are going to live if you didn't give them top pay. Don't deflect the unions elsewhere when the real problem is affordable housing options on LI.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
The problem with top pay is that it is funded by taxpayers. I understand that we need unions for safety etc, but they also abuse their power and get these sweetheart deals that the tax payers just cannot afford anymore.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiddleMeThis View Post
Not until 55?! Oh, the horror!!!
Not quite right. They are eligible to retire at 55 but the pension is not "Full". The amount of the pension is dependant on years of service.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 AM

416 posts, read 697,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Not quite right. They are eligible to retire at 55 but the pension is not "Full". The amount of the pension is dependant on years of service.
If the amount of the pension is dependent on the years of service, then how do you know the pension is not "full" at 55?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island