Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 05:05 AM

146 posts, read 840,324 times

Advertisements

I'm potentially looking for an inexpensive place on Long Island to purchase a summer getaway. I would love to be near the ocean - especially with a view. But I do NOT want to be smack in the middle of any "bar scene." Even though we are a young couple, I'm looking for a quiet and relaxing area where my family (ranging in age from 1 to 70) can all enjoy a respite from the daily grind.

Long Beach seems too iffy. I can't afford the east end and people say the west end is a roll of the dice.

Montauk/Hamptons are too pricey.

Then there's a central town like Manorville; affordable but too far of a drive to everything.

I realize the budget is not much, and I also would consider something off of Long Island, but within a 2 hour drive. It also needs to be a location with a bright future (for resale value).

Where would YOU buy summer place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 05:47 AM

496 posts, read 1,250,905 times
we have a summer place in florida

Old 04-04-2010, 06:25 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
North fork.

Old 04-04-2010, 06:41 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
Port Jefferson. That failing, Sag Harbour.
Or anything on the north fork ; Orient, Greenport etc.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
We still have quite a few seasonal Residents in Sound Beach/Panamoka/Rocky Point/Wading River

This is tough to beat for 450 and has a bright future to boot.
322 N Sound Beach Blvd, Sound Beach, NY, 11789 - MLS #2250106 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 04-04-2010, 08:51 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
North fork.
100% agree. I think if you're looking for this kind of house on LI right now, the North Fork is the last place you're gonna find one for a somewhat affordable price.....while still actually feeling like you're on vacation LOL. The NoFo is absolutely beautiful too, honestly my favorite part of LI for scenery.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
100% agree. I think if you're looking for this kind of house on LI right now, the North Fork is the last place you're gonna find one for a somewhat affordable price.....while still actually feeling like you're on vacation LOL. The NoFo is absolutely beautiful too, honestly my favorite part of LI for scenery.
Agreed Sean.

I hope to retitre to Greenport and Manhattan.

Heavy on the somewhat though, it is Hamptons North.

Some good bargains to be had in Pre NoFo Wading River/Baiting Hollow etc.

Crooks

Old 04-04-2010, 12:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed Sean.

I hope to retitre to Greenport and Manhattan.

Heavy on the somewhat though, it is Hamptons North.

Some good bargains to be had in Pre NoFo Wading River/Baiting Hollow etc.

Crooks
I think $450k will get you into something really nice, good location in every single town on the North Fork. I'd imagine there are even some old cottages on the sound or the Peconic you could buy for that money. Wading River & Baiting Hollow are super-nice places too, and you'll get more house, but for recreational purposes I'd trade a whole lot of house just to be a little further out and have the complete package.

How about Fire Island? Will $450k buy you something anywhere down there? I've never been and know literally nothing of the place. Dunno about resale either, or insurance premiums considering the constant threat from storms. It's a lot more inconvenient to get to, but that might be part of the fun.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think $450k will get you into something really nice, good location in every single town on the North Fork. I'd imagine there are even some old cottages on the sound or the Peconic you could buy for that money. Wading River & Baiting Hollow are super-nice places too, and you'll get more house, but for recreational purposes I'd trade a whole lot of house just to be a little further out and have the complete package.

How about Fire Island? Will $450k buy you something anywhere down there? I've never been and know literally nothing of the place. Dunno about resale either, or insurance premiums considering the constant threat from storms. It's a lot more inconvenient to get to, but that might be part of the fun.

On this site

Fire Island Real Estate - Fire Island Homes for Sale & Properties for Rent

...there isn't anything below about 600K. But I suppose everything is negotiable. You're right...FI is getting hammered with storms.

It's paradise for a day trip though.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:25 PM

Sean...Oak Beach???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island