Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:13 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,716,423 times

Advertisements

So I might be selling the old homestead...and I'm trying to figure out which realtor to go with.

What do YOU look for in a realtor?

Any thoughts on going with a local independent broker vs. somebody associated with one of the big companies?

Anything I should be looking to avoid?

What commissions are typical these days?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,726,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
So I might be selling the old homestead...and I'm trying to figure out which realtor to go with.

What do YOU look for in a realtor?
Look for honesty and integrity first. Be wary of those who are willing to tell you whatever they think you want to hear (especially when it comes to the estimated sale price of your home) in order to get the listing.

Choose someone who you are personally comfortable with. He or she will be a big part of your life for the next six months or so.

Look for recommendations from friends and neighbors who have recently sold their home.

Quote:
Any thoughts on going with a local independent broker vs. somebody associated with one of the big companies?
Both have their good and bad points. Smaller companies can tend to be more flexible. The bottom line though, is pick the right agent. The individual agent is much more important then the company with which he is associated.

Quote:
Anything I should be looking to avoid?
Avoid anyone who does not make a full time living selling real estate. Be especially wary of "friends" in real estate.

Quote:
What commissions are typical these days?
I am prohibitted by law from discussing commission rates in a public forum. But, some advice: 1) Do not choose an agent based solely on commission rates. You sometimes get what you pay for. 2) Pay attention to the "split", ie the way that the commission will be split between the listing broker and the selling broker.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:32 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,110,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Look for honesty and integrity first. Be wary of those who are willing to tell you whatever they think you want to hear (especially when it comes to the estimated sale price of your home) in order to get the listing.

Choose someone who you are personally comfortable with. He or she will be a big part of your life for the next six months or so.

Look for recommendations from friends and neighbors who have recently sold their home.

Both have their good and bad points. Smaller companies can tend to be more flexible. The bottom line though, is pick the right agent. The individual agent is much more important then the company with which he is associated.

Avoid anyone who does not make a full time living selling real estate. Be especially wary of "friends" in real estate.

I am prohibitted by law from discussing commission rates in a public forum. But, some advice: 1) Do not choose an agent based solely on commission rates. You sometimes get what you pay for. 2) Pay attention to the "split", ie the way that the commission will be split between the listing broker and the selling broker.
I had a very good experience using a friend who worked part time ...twice.

What can I say....she really cared.

Crooks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I had a very good experience using a friend who worked part time ...twice.

What can I say....she really cared.

Crooks
There's an old saying: If you don't have a friend in real estate, you don't have many friends at all.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Crooks. But I have to say that your case is probably an exception. I would no more use a part time real estate agent then a part time dentist.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
There's an old saying: If you don't have a friend in real estate, you don't have many friends at all.

I'm glad it worked out for you, Crooks. But I have to say that your case is probably an exception. I would no more use a part time real estate agent then a part time dentist.

You know I respect your opinion Tom.

Im just sharing my experience.
As a buyer and a seller it worked out pretty good.

Crooks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You know I respect your opinion Tom.
Crooks
Likewise.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Likewise.
Thanks Tom

There were some moments I wished she were around more but all in all it worked out very well.

Crooks

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM

6,373 posts, read 13,094,671 times
SIB...would you mind if I asked where your heading to?

What town are you in?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:44 AM

4,692 posts, read 8,716,423 times
Forgot to mention...a few months ago we randomly met with a guy at one of the bigger companies. He went on and on about how great HE was and how he's the top producer at his firm and blah blah blah...and then in the last 2 minutes of our discussion, he mentions that he'd be sharing the listing with another agent as his company.

I was like, WTF? You just spent close to an hour selling me on YOU and YOUR talents...and now you tell me that somebody else will have an equal stake in selling my house. It felt like the old bait and switch.

Is this normal?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:46 AM

Sounds a little odd. But there could be an explanation. Some agents work in teams very effectively. Many of the top producers have other agents who do a lot of the leg work for them. I would ask him to explain exactly who will be doing what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island